Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dock thinks Finder is not running

Dock thinks Finder is not running
jayg
Jul 23, 2003, 10:47 PM

Sometimes when I start up, the Dock does not show a little black triangle under the Finder icon. The Finder is running, and has no other problems. if I click the Dock icon for the Finder, the Finder comes forward like normal, but I can't select the Finder with cmd-tab. If I force quit (relaunch) the Finder, then the Dock will show the triangle.

Any suggestions?

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by jayg:
Sometimes when I start up, the Dock does not show a little black triangle under the Finder icon. The Finder is running, and has no other problems. if I click the Dock icon for the Finder, the Finder comes forward like normal, but I can't select the Finder with cmd-tab. If I force quit (relaunch) the Finder, then the Dock will show the triangle.

Any suggestions?
This happens to me too on occasion. Relaunching the Finder from the Force Quit dialog, or relaunching the Dock (or Finder) from either Terminal (via top) or Process Viewer seems to fix it.

Annoying, but not such a big deal.

Cipher13
Jul 24, 2003, 05:37 AM

Purge the dock prefs plist?

Kate
Senior User
Jul 24, 2003, 08:15 AM

I am seeing this issue too. Until I reboot it's fine if I restart the finder once.

Purging Finder Prefs does not help so far, purging Dock prefs did not help either. Strange.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2003, 08:50 AM

I get the same thing too. Somtimes the triangle is there, sometimes not. Everything seems to work as normal though.

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2003, 09:40 AM

I had this same problem yesterday, for the first time. I could click on the icon to bring the Finder to the front, oddly enough. Logging out was the only way I could fix it.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jul 24, 2003, 10:47 AM

I've had this problem a number of times.. Is it a bug with a security release or something?

theory
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2003, 07:41 PM

I think relaunching the dock would bring
it back to it's senses. But may be not for long

Basilisk
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2003, 09:09 PM

This is a bug in APE 1.3 and ClearDock. Happens on first login, and sometimes on subsequent logins after a restart. Its harmless, but disabling APE will make it go away.

Bas

jayg  (op)
Jul 24, 2003, 11:29 PM

I've disabled APE; I wasn't using it for anything anyway. I'll see if that fixes it. Thanks.

jayg  (op)
Jul 27, 2003, 12:03 PM

I've both disabled APE and thrown away the Dock's plist preferences. The problem continues

Any other ideas?

headbirth
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2003, 02:24 PM

Live with it :-(

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2003, 02:31 PM

i noticed the same problem on occasion as well....but this week i updated fruit menu. silk (and whatever tidbits they install) and i've not had it happen since (yet).
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Forum Links
Forum Rules