Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > So who has received notice of their G5 Xserve shipping?

So who has received notice of their G5 Xserve shipping?
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 23, 2004, 11:02 AM

So who has received notice of their G5 Xserve shipping?

I know some people had gotten a few (partial) shipments here and there several weeks ago, but now it seems that Apple is gonna be shipping in volume.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 11:28 AM

Unfortunately, I'm not getting one, but can anyone tell me what's happening at VA Tech -- weren't they supposed upgrading to Xserves? (since their PM G5s are now available as refurbs)

Are THEY still waiting for THEIR Xserves - were they affected by Apple's delay? ( that would have really hurt them if they'd been down for this long )
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2004, 11:55 AM

Hmmm... It's only the single processor machines.

Single processor 2.0 GHz Xserve G5 servers are available immediately through the Apple Store� (www.apple.com) and Apple Authorized Resellers. The dual processor 2.0 GHz and cluster-optimized dual 2.0 GHz Xserve G5 servers will be available in April through the Apple Store (www.apple.com) and Apple Authorized Resellers.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2004, 02:32 PM

I'd love one - even a single processor unit. It could replace the 900MHz blue & white G3 I'm using at the office as a server and client.
However, here's hoping for a $1600 dual 1.8GHz desktop when(ever) the next revisions hit the streets. That would do just fine, too.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2004, 02:39 PM

Ours at work are shipping.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2004, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
I'd love one - even a single processor unit. It could replace the 900MHz blue & white G3 I'm using at the office as a server and client.
I'm not sure you'd want an Xserve as a client machine. It'd be too loud, and it doesn't have AGP/Quartz Extreme either.

Originally posted by goMac:
Ours at work are shipping.
Dual or single?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2004, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
I'm not sure you'd want an Xserve as a client machine. It'd be too loud, and it doesn't have AGP/Quartz Extreme either.
Yes, I know. Just trying to say that if one appeared in my office, I wouldn't give it away.

Forum Links
Forum Rules