Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Switch Game Recommendations

Nintendo Switch Game Recommendations (Page 2)
andi*pandi  (op)
Dec 8, 2020, 10:15 AM

Legends of hyrule currently sitting in the cart. I know, I know, I haven't technically finished botw yet...
Just dance 2021 also... but unlike the wii this version requires everyone to have phones, so... maybe not - ah, joycons work so that's good.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Dec 8, 2020 at 11:09 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2020, 02:37 PM

I’ve only heard good things about LoH, and I enjoyed “Warriors” games a lot back in the day.

I forgot to ask... what turned you off Link’s Awakening?

I kinda miss BotW. For whatever reason I really miss combing the beach for coconuts. Still, I might wait until the sequel to play again.

River City Ransom is turning out to be a good game for me. I only want to play it for a few hours, and then I get bored, but a couple days later it’ll call out again.

andi*pandi  (op)
Dec 11, 2020, 06:23 PM

Link: I read the reviews that it was basically a side scroller and half of what we like about BOTW is climbing the scenic vistas, ha. Coconuts!

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2020, 12:55 PM

Oh, gotcha! I thought maybe it had a bad review.

Even though BotW is far superior, I still like the old-school ones, too. The only issue I have is I invariably get stuck, and they’re linear enough that unless I want to look it up, that ends the game.

I’ve gotten stuck in BotW, but just go on to do something else. One example is on the beach. I was never able to find all the glowy bits, so I’m still locked out of that dungeon-shrine-whatever. NBD. In an old Zelda, that would be game over, because whatever’s in there would be required to move forward. Nintendo finally realized that’s bad design.

River City Ransom is in a nice phase where I’m actually getting better at fighting, whereas earlier I was winning fights by grinding for more power.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2020, 04:47 PM

Needed to do some gaming, and wanted something with more depth than River City Ransom.

Everything in 3D All-Stars is still too overwhelming, so I picked up Valkyria Chronicles, which is a Sega joint from 2008. It’s kinda sorta like The Sound of Music if the von Trapps had a thirty-ton tank named “Edelweiss” out in the barn.

It would be an instant recommendation for anyone who likes squad-level, turn-based combat, but unfortunately the mission design is wildly uneven. One was bad enough I almost quit the game in disgust. Also, the story and endless dialogue are hot garbage.

Everything else is great. The presentation is clever, the game engine is gorgeous despite its age, and the combat mechanics are fun. A lot of it is hard, but it’s generally the good kind of hard. Most of the time I only have myself to blame when a sniper blows my head off or I get a rocket shot up my tank’s butt.
( Last edited by subego; Dec 30, 2020 at 06:04 PM. )

andi*pandi  (op)
Dec 30, 2020, 06:09 PM

Excellent review.

yesterday I watched the kids play vintage kirby, and at one point where they were dying repeatedly, I was like, pretty hard game for 25 years old.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2020, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Excellent review.
Thank you!

I forgot pictures...

It really knocks it out of the park when you’re running through smoke.

Edit: you can see on the first pic it’s using the “hand-drawn” effect to help mask some seriously low-poly models.

Edit2: Half the women in the unit have these ridiculous hairdos which actually interfere with aiming.
( Last edited by subego; Dec 30, 2020 at 08:44 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2021, 02:39 PM

Grabbed Valkyria Chronicles 4 (2 and 3 are only on Sony portables). After an hour’s worth of play it’s so similar to the first, I’m going to burn out, so I put it on the “save for later” list. The biggest difference so far is this one has swears.

I’ve been hearing good things about about Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin, and decided to give it a shot. It’s Harvest Moon meets Contra meets Spider-Man meets Miss Piggy. Starts very slow. Kinda didn’t like it at first, but it’s growing on me.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2021, 01:33 AM

Started liking it a lot, finally had my first halfway decent rice harvest, and now my interest is completely sapped.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2021, 04:37 PM

Gave up on Sakuna. Still trying to scratch the same itch, so my Hail Mary is Rune Factory 4, which is also Harvest Moon crossed with dungeon exploration. I wouldn’t mind playing Harvest Moon for real, but I’ve heard the Switch versions are awful.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 23, 2021, 06:29 PM

farming doesn't interest me much as a gaming mechanism. Too repetitive.

dungeon exploration however...

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2021, 07:43 PM

farming doesn't interest me much as a gaming mechanism. Too repetitive.

dungeon exploration however...
I like grinding, so a farming sim is squarely in my wheelhouse (or barn).

Sakuna is kind of a mystery because they put in everything needed for a fantastic farming sim, then forgot to put in any meaningful choices. As good as it could have been, in the end it amounted to me being the developer’s dancing monkey for 15 hours. Frigging yuck.

Since I want a good farming sim, I was irritated by the dungeon exploring in Sakuna at first, but ironically I ended up liking it a whole lot more than the farming. It looks fantastic, and the combat is really satisfying.

Rune Factory is pretty traditional, so the meaningful choices are going to boil down to what I grow will affect my relationships with the townsfolk. Haven’t gotten to the dungeon exploring part yet.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2021, 07:39 PM

Played Rune Factory 4 for a bit now. Good stuff, Maynard.

It’s basically Animal Crossing at 60x speed. I even caught a crucian carp.

The key difference, other than speed, is the aesthetics. It’s bog-standard, pseudo-medieval anime fantasy.

The farming doesn’t wear out its welcome at all. Over an hour of gameplay only 5-10 minutes of it is spent actually farming, however the dungeon crawling is kinda meh so far. Sakuna does a much better job in that department.

Recipes can be made in bulk.

Edit: Tools don’t break.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 24, 2021 at 08:52 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2021, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Sakuna does a much better job in that department.
The more I think about it, Sakuna is better in almost every regard.

The graphics are better. The music is a lot better. The story is better. The characters are more interesting. The influences they drew upon are more interesting. The Japanese voice actors are fantastic... the lead is brilliant. Combat is better. Level design is better.

The one thing Rune Factory 4 has is it’s a better goddamn game.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2021, 10:52 PM

Okay... there is one other thing Rune Factory has over Sakuna.

Rune Factory lets you enslave sheep.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 26, 2021, 10:35 AM

well, that's a gamechanger.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2021, 07:10 PM

Animal Crossing sheep enslavement update when?

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 26, 2021, 09:01 PM

Animal Crossing Farm in 3...2...1...

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2021, 09:19 PM

It already has a flower farm and a tree farm.

Tree farm good. Crop farm bad.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 26, 2021, 09:57 PM

Recruiting new residents of the island takes a darker tone.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2021, 10:07 PM

Do I buy a chemistry set so I can make poison antidote, or do I buy chocolates to give out as presents?

🤔

See? Meaningful decision.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2021, 11:40 PM

Recruiting new residents of the island takes a darker tone.
My next enslavement target is a chicken, then I go big.

Buffalo big.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2021, 09:40 PM

Do I buy a chemistry set so I can make poison antidote, or do I buy chocolates to give out as presents?

������

See? Meaningful decision.
I should add that I ended up doing both. Chemistry set first, and then chocolates the next day. I wasn’t penalized for making that choice, so in a very real sense, there’s not a meaningful decision being made.

However, Rune Factory provides a much more believable illusion it’s meaningful, mostly based on how many different directions there are to go at any given time. I also could have bought a forge, or a crafting table, or more seeds, or better weapons, or enslaved a chicken.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 27, 2021 at 09:56 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2021, 09:54 PM

I have three buffalo now. Turns out they like apples, which I get by murdering the giant apple people.

Edit: favorite weapon so far is a sword forged from carrots.

andi*pandi  (op)
Feb 2, 2021, 02:11 PM

Ok, that sold me.

Is that through nintendo online, a retro classic? Super NES or? I'm looking for it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2021, 12:27 AM

One of us. One of us.

It’s a regular game on the eShop. $40. Originally came out in 2012 on the 3DS, so it’s semi-retro, and has a mobile game feel to it (not in a bad way).

Caveats:

It can be hard to tell with all the genres bashed together, but if we strip all that away, the game is actually a business management simulator. The more fun that sounds, the more fun you’ll find the game.

Farming starts out too repetitive, but that gets better. Stuff which took me 16 button presses at the beginning now only take me one. They got this right, but unfortunately the inventory interface is pure jank. Switching between farming tools is way more off-putting than the repetitiveness of the farming.

The background music really sucks.

It’s casually sexist at times.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2021, 02:01 PM

About 100 hours into it, and beginning the 2nd year. It’s satisfying because the second year is a bit like a New Game+. I know how all the mechanics work now, and have plenty of cash to spread around.

Farming hasn’t gotten so much too repetitive for me as just too time consuming. I have 3 farms now and 20 barnyard animals. It generally takes 7 or 8 in-game hours to water, harvest, and groom the animals. Not much time left over for dungeon exploring.

The shine is starting to dull a little. I’m getting the feeling like I’ve seen what it has to show me, which is usually when I start losing interest in a game, but it clearly captivated me a lot more than Sakuna.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2021, 04:24 PM

My enslaved bees are total slackers. Whole field full of ripe melons and they’re not doing a goddamn thing.

andi*pandi  (op)
Mar 4, 2021, 10:02 AM

You need some beewatcher watchers.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2021, 05:35 PM

Sadly, soon after that picture, the annoyances in the game came to a head and I decided it was time to quit. Over 200 hours total though, so I feel I got my money’s worth.

I moved onto Disgaea, which is turn based combat literally in Hell. Enjoying it so far. The soundtrack is spectacular.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2021, 03:11 PM

I’m trying to like Disgaea, but the procedurally generated dungeons are dull, really, really, really long, and there’s not much payoff.

andi*pandi  (op)
Mar 7, 2021, 05:54 PM

Perhaps I should not have selected story mode, but the first hour of Rune Factory seemed like wayyy too much clickety clickety boring conversation that should have been a cut scene. At one point I fell asleep. It got better when I shut off the music and the pop up drawings of who was speaking.

When I could actually do things, exploring the area was fun. Monsters respawning when you enter a screen was at first frustrating, but you can mostly just run by them unless you want to grind materials from them. Farming is tedious but I have some animals I hope will start doing that for me. Combat, well, mostly it's button mashing but you can't dodge well. Eating when health is low during combat basically means you are a sitting duck for the enemy to kill you while you run around trying to eat. I managed to free the purple unicorn dude but mamadoodle takes all the damage I can give and never dies.

Princess struggles, they are real.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2021, 07:26 PM

ONE OF US

I had forgotten about all the exposition in the beginning. You’re totally right. My guess is that’s a vestige of it being a 3DS title. I’m sure there were also budget limitations involved.

The animals can definitely take care of a lot of tedium. I didn’t really make full use of them until later in the game, and in hindsight I would have used them a lot more up-front.

Disgaea may finally be clicking. My natural tendency is to be completist, and that’s not what the game wants you to do (with some exceptions). I’m enjoying it more now that I’m speedrunning the dungeons.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2021, 03:53 PM

Loving Disgaea now. It’s grinding heaven.

I’ve played for over 70 hours and only finished the the first chapter. Rest of the time has been grinding.

The game has “item dungeons”, which are procedurally generated, and admittedly a little blah, but are packed with loot and experience. Another nice bit is the way equipment works, you can make a 1st level character competitive enough to grind up to a higher level without dying all the time. Even if they do die there’s no permadeath, which I prefer. Less stressful.
( Last edited by subego; Mar 12, 2021 at 06:33 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2021, 03:32 PM

Meet Faith...

Faith is the most stone cold ****er ever to crawl into Hell.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2021, 11:18 AM

You see, when Faith got to Hell, her master wasn’t all that interested in her fire magic. He was happy hitting people with a sword, and she’d just end up dead, or eaten, or both.

Not that dying bothered her, she had already done that. I mean, that is how you get to Hell. However, her master would rather have a live person with a sword... or maybe this axe.

Still, her master decided it might be useful if he learned some magic. He’s already close in, and has no problem taking a hit. So, Faith got to researching, as did her three sisters, Hope, Liberty, and Grace. They taught Faith everything they knew, and then Faith taught it all to her master.

Turns out, her master just kept hitting people with a sword, and Faith was doomed to research for a literal eternity, until one day she was called by her master. No one remembers the reason.

All the research had made Faith more powerful than she was. Much more powerful. When she melted the enemy halfway across the battlefield, her master was smitten. When he needed someone absolutely, positively dead, he called Faith. When he needed lots of someones absolutely, positively dead, he called Faith. She was always best at fire magic, but because what her sisters taught her, even those who could laugh off fire weren’t safe. No one was safe.

Soon, her master’s troops began to grumble. Faith was hogging all the glory for herself. Even her master seems a little afraid. She’s still called whenever things are on the line, but nowhere nearly enough to sate her appetite for destruction.

andi*pandi  (op)
Mar 24, 2021, 04:12 PM

That's some master-level storybuilding. Chances are I would stand there wondering what the heck I was supposed to do and give up.

Hyrule Warriors is just a battle game, no story, no world, and as such both the kid and I gave it a thumbs down. This appears to be a different game than we expected. Will look to borrow Age of Calamity to see if it also is like that.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2021, 05:08 PM

IIRC, Mario+Rabbids didn’t grab you, and this is fundamentally the same game. I’m hugely biased because it’s probably my favorite genre. This game also leaves a whole lot more up to the player in terms of figuring out how the mechanics work, but to me that’s a feature, not a bug. It’s like another puzzle they added.

The thing this game brings to the table is the “item dungeon”. Every item in the game has its own, procedurally generated dungeon inside. Going through these grinds up your characters, doubles the power of the item, gets you improvements transferable to other items, and gets you more powerful items to explore. It’s a hopelessly addictive loop. I’ve played for 160 hours and that’s all I’ve done... I’m still on chapter one of the story and my main character is level 99.

The only problem is the dungeons themselves are boring, and nowhere nearly as fantastic as the idea. When you’re exploring the dungeon inside an egg yolk, there’s nothing yolk-like about the dungeon. It’s the same random dungeon as any other item. One saving grace is since the dungeon levels are random, the exit will often be near the entrance. Plenty of levels can be cleared in 10 seconds, unless there’s some reason not to.

Like I said, though. I’m at 160 hours. It isn’t bothering me that much. It’s easily become one of my favorite games ever. On top of how much I enjoy grinding items, I’m in love with the style of the game.

Sorry Hyrule Warriors was a bust! Was there no narrative at all, or was it just not really relevant to gameplay? Age of Calamity will be somewhat similar. The Warriors games have a pretty set mold.
( Last edited by subego; Mar 24, 2021 at 05:37 PM. )

andi*pandi  (op)
Mar 24, 2021, 05:46 PM

There are some cut scenes in Hyrule Warriors, but the story is mainly moved forward by text messages on screen (zelda needs help at the east keep, go help her) which were hard to read. Sound effects are also annoying (swing sword, link lets out massive grunt, repeat constantly).

Anyway, glad I didn't buy it. If I had no other games it might be fun to blow off steam killing moblins, but meh.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2021, 08:32 PM

Finally hit the wall on Disgaea at about 250 hours, so I definitely got my money’s worth.

Final review is I can’t recommend it highly enough for anyone into turn-based tactics. The only possible issue is whether you like the aesthetics. As I think I mentioned, to me, they’re fantastic, and I’m a pretty tough sell when it comes to manga/anime stylings.

andi*pandi  (op)
Apr 23, 2021, 03:11 PM

Scrolling through the library lending options, I came across Dead Cells and thought it looked cool. Based solely on that, with no research, I had no idea what to expect.

https://deadcells.fandom.com/wiki/Dead_Cells_Wiki

Not strictly a switch game, you can also play on PC etc. A side scroller with with no saves? At first very frustrating. Then later only less frustrating. But each time you die, come back a little smarter, and should you survive a level you can bank your cells into upgrades which make survival less impossible. Only 2 weapons to start with, 4 slots total if you find them in the maze, backpack only unlocked if you choose to use your cells this way, instead of weapons. Necromancy is useful, as are sneak attacks from above. Speed runs are sometimes useful to bypass enemies but if you do so there's fewer cells to deposit at the end.

Did I mention each time you die the map redraws? So there's no "learning where things are". There's different exit points also, which lead to different levels and beyond.

After a week I had managed to survive 3 levels and am reluctant to return the game to the library.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2021, 09:30 PM

Sounds like Rogue: The Sidescroller.

andi*pandi  (op)
May 3, 2021, 06:54 PM

Zelda – Cadence of Hyrule:
Dance Dance Zelda? Cute but don't think it will hold my attention. Glad it was another library loaner.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2021, 10:02 PM

Gave up on Sakuna. Still trying to scratch the same itch, so my Hail Mary is Rune Factory 4, which is also Harvest Moon crossed with dungeon exploration. I wouldn’t mind playing Harvest Moon for real, but I’ve heard the Switch versions are awful.
Harvest Moon is shit tbh, the multi-step process to do anything is just soooo tedious.

Have you tried Stardew Valley? Super awesome farm RPG with a SNES Chrono Trigger aesthetic. The guy who did it created *everything* himself - sprites, music, plot, dialogue, ux, everything. He's added several sizeable expansions since its launch a few years ago, too. It's available for pretty much every platform (including MacOS via Steam).
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2021, 07:07 AM

I got the Switch version based on everyone raving about it, and played for an hour or two.

I can tell it’s very good, but the janky graphics killed it for me.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2021, 03:53 PM

Boo, sorry to hear that. I love the aesthetic...it's evocative of my favorite old DOS games.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2021, 05:01 AM

I don’t know what the deal is. This was the only time I can think of where I bailed on a game because of it, and I love pixel art.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2021, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
it's evocative of my favorite old DOS games.
I just can’t with Stardew Valley. It’s like, DOS ugly.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 10, 2021, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Have you tried Stardew Valley? Super awesome farm RPG with a SNES Chrono Trigger aesthetic. The guy who did it created *everything* himself - sprites, music, plot, dialogue, ux, everything. He's added several sizeable expansions since its launch a few years ago, too. It's available for pretty much every platform (including MacOS via Steam).
Thinking about getting this for my 8 year old. He likes open world games where he can do whatever he wants, and he's getting bored of Minecraft.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2021, 11:32 AM

I only played it a little, but I’d say it’s a good choice. You may need to coach him a bit on how to exploit a business simulation.

It’s also a romance simulator from what I can gather, so you have to decide if that’s a can of worms you want to open.

What little I played was steeped in strong anti-capitalist sentiment. Not that that’s a problem, but something to be aware of.

Forum Links
Forum Rules