Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Diffrence between Firefox and Camino?

Diffrence between Firefox and Camino?
buzlink
Dec 16, 2006, 05:03 PM

What is the main diffrence between Camino and Firefox?
Can one do something that the other can't do?

Thanks

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2006, 05:11 PM

Camino has a nicer interface (IMO, obviously) and better integration with the OS. Firefox is cross-platform and has a ton of plugins. They both surf the Web, basically. It's more or less a matter of how the experience feels. To me, Firefox feels buggy and clunky. For instance, on some sites, when you mouse over a link, the text-drawing bugs out and all the other text on the line gets this awful blocky look. Other people swear by it though and think Camino is a waste of time.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mrmister
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2006, 06:22 PM

Camino is faster, but doesn't support plugins the way that Firefox does.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2006, 10:10 PM

you could also check out this:

Firefox: Mac PPC Optimized Builds

its the best of both worlds.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 17, 2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by mania View Post
you could also check out this:

Firefox: Mac PPC Optimized Builds

its the best of both worlds.
You're assuming he has a PPC-based Mac. There are a LOT of Intel-based Macs out there, and most new users/switchers will have an Intel machine.

I haven't tried Camino, mainly because I have to work on different platforms, and Firefox is basically identical (especially version 2!) on both Windows and OS X. That's very, VERY handy to me!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2006, 01:22 AM

Camino is light-weight and integrated into OS X.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2006, 02:13 AM

I prefer Camino because it's uncluttered and it lets you use OSX Services, which I use a lot for clipping text from web pages and various other functions. However, I've noticed the latest build of Camino not being so stalbe lately, and also using a relatively high % of CPU. Meanwhile, Safari has improved in those areas, so I'm actually thinking of just sticking with Safari for awhile. Nice to have good choices in browsers these days. Definitely give Camino a try, though. Next version is supposed to gain RSS reading and other features.

David Lee
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by brettcamp View Post
However, I've noticed the latest build of Camino not being so stalbe lately, and also using a relatively high % of CPU.
Have you tried the latest "nightly" version? Download it at the camino HP or use CaminoKnight to do that automatically. The change dialog is visible using CamnioKnight and judging by the high number of bug fixes, I would never go back to the "stable" version, which obviously still has lots of room for improvement. Still Camino does have its problem areas, it cannot handle Japanese text input correctly, even input into a Google search field gets messed up, with some input displayed some not, while Firefox handles the two-bit Japanese system very well. Reading Japanese pages is fine. For an all English user, the nightly build of Camino should be fine for most use.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by crazyjohnson View Post
Camino is light-weight and integrated into OS X.

light weight, yes
integrated into OS X, NOT !

if by that you mean it is a cocoa and/or universal app that can use native OS X services, then yes it is that.

But as we all know from the M$/IE fiasco, no browser (or any other app) should ever be "integrated" into the OS

But FWIW, I have been using Camino since the early beta days on numerous macs & OS versions, never a problem with stability or anything else. FirFox OTOH has it's own little glitches here & there, but overall is a good browser too.........I just like the performance, look & feel of Camino more
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

mrmister
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 03:11 PM

"But as we all know from the M$/IE fiasco, no browser (or any other app) should ever be "integrated" into the OS"

I don't think that's what we learned from the MSFT antitrust suit--for starters, these kind of concerns only raise their head once a company has a monopoly, andCamino isn't even built by Apple, so this really isn't an issue.

In all the rational ways that someone means "integrated into OS X", it is.

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by bowwowman View Post
light weight, yes
integrated into OS X, NOT !

if by that you mean it is a cocoa and/or universal app that can use native OS X services, then yes it is that.

But as we all know from the M$/IE fiasco, no browser (or any other app) should ever be "integrated" into the OS

But FWIW, I have been using Camino since the early beta days on numerous macs & OS versions, never a problem with stability or anything else. FirFox OTOH has it's own little glitches here & there, but overall is a good browser too.........I just like the performance, look & feel of Camino more
With Camino, I can barely tell it's even integrated. Half the services don't work, and it can't remember passwords to save it's life (not to mention the keychain integration doesn't even work right).

Right now, I'm using Firefox, and even though it's more buggy and uglier than it's Mac-like brother, I'll take functionality any day over a pretty face.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
You're assuming he has a PPC-based Mac. There are a LOT of Intel-based Macs out there, and most new users/switchers will have an Intel machine.

I haven't tried Camino, mainly because I have to work on different platforms, and Firefox is basically identical (especially version 2!) on both Windows and OS X. That's very, VERY handy to me!
Good point, however, a quick search reveals some good FF intel optimized builds as well. It worth a try - for me in definitely improved the (dare I say) 'snappyness' of FF.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

mrmister
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2006, 02:38 AM

"With Camino, I can barely tell it's even integrated. Half the services don't work, and it can't remember passwords to save it's life (not to mention the keychain integration doesn't even work right)."

I can't speak for services (as I don't use them) but the password/keychin integration has always worked perfectly for me.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Dec 18, 2006, 05:48 AM

I use Camino and I love it. It's not perfect, but none of the browsers available are. Camino is lighter and faster than FireFox, and both are faster than Safari. The only downside I have found is sometimes Camino just wont click some links. Like in Hotmail, it will recognize a link (Trash button for ex.) and turn to the pointer on roll over, but upon clicking it, nothing happens.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2006, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by mrmister View Post
"But as we all know from the M$/IE fiasco, no browser (or any other app) should ever be "integrated" into the OS"

I don't think that's what we learned from the MSFT antitrust suit--for starters, these kind of concerns only raise their head once a company has a monopoly, andCamino isn't even built by Apple, so this really isn't an issue.

In all the rational ways that someone means "integrated into OS X", it is.
WHat I meant was that the problems associated with "integrating" any application's API calls and services directly into the lowest levels of the OS was a bad idea.

This was made clear by the tons of problems M$ faced when they tried to undo all the damage they had done by coding both IE & WMP to have so many interdependancies on/within windblows, let alone the inherent security issues that come with the badly coded ActiveX "integration" within IE.

Monoply or not, they didnt have to do any of it.......

And again, Camino is in no way, shape, or form, integrated in the above manner. You can run ANY browser, media player, or other app in Mac OS X without worrying about any API-level interdependencies between them & the OS
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2006, 09:28 AM

Dude, relax. The term "integrated" can mean a lot of things. Let's move on.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2006, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
Have you tried the latest "nightly" version? Download it at the camino HP or use CaminoKnight to do that automatically. The change dialog is visible using CamnioKnight and judging by the high number of bug fixes, I would never go back to the "stable" version, which obviously still has lots of room for improvement. Still Camino does have its problem areas, it cannot handle Japanese text input correctly, even input into a Google search field gets messed up, with some input displayed some not, while Firefox handles the two-bit Japanese system very well. Reading Japanese pages is fine. For an all English user, the nightly build of Camino should be fine for most use.
Hm, I had to go test Japanese with my nightly build after I saw this. I'm having the reverse problem. Google's Japanese page results looks awful but text input works okay. Oddly, other Japanese sites seem to work fine.

buzlink  (op)
Dec 20, 2006, 04:06 PM

Ouch touchy subject.
Really Firefox and Camino look somewhat the same.

I find myself that I keep jumping back and forth between the two.
I keep going back to Firefox do to being able to spell check without and extensions.

Is there a way to add spell check to Camino?
Thanks for the input.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2006, 04:36 PM

Spell check is already implemented in Camino nightly builds. I would suggest checking out Camino 1.1a1 which is quite stable. I use it daily with no problems, though, YMMV!
( Last edited by crazyjohnson; Dec 20, 2006 at 04:46 PM. )

Lava Lamp Freak
Dec 26, 2006, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
I use Camino and I love it. It's not perfect, but none of the browsers available are. Camino is lighter and faster than FireFox, and both are faster than Safari. The only downside I have found is sometimes Camino just wont click some links. Like in Hotmail, it will recognize a link (Trash button for ex.) and turn to the pointer on roll over, but upon clicking it, nothing happens.
I gave it a try for a week and the link clicking problem is driving me nuts. If links won't click, the browser is unusable. It might be a memory bug, as it seems the longer I run it the more problems I have with links not clicking.

Also, the upcoming movies page on Fandango doesn't load correctly. That is very odd considering it is the same rendering engine as Firefox, and the page loads fine in it.

Fandango - Browse Movies Near Me

Forum Links
Forum Rules