Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP 15" 2.33 Front of computer issues

MBP 15" 2.33 Front of computer issues
Harodude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2007, 01:48 AM

Hello all,
I just got a replacement MBP on monday, and right out of the box, I was feeling and seeing minor problems.
1. The screen lid button to open it is very hard to push and unlatch.
2. I am getting annoying shocks in my hand at the front on the computer near trackpad.
3. The trackpad button seems to be off Kilter(leaning side to side) somewhat, and is double clicking, even with a single soft click.
4. The trackpad seems to be very slow, even after a system prefs change, and resets.
5. Most of the upper casing is uneven all around, and i can feel it overlapping the lower casing.
It seems kind of wierd to me, that almost all the issues I have are occurring in the front of the computer...

Overall, these issues are not insanely horrible, but are frustrating as this computer is BRAND NEW.

None of these Issues did I ever see with my old MBP, so I dont know what exactly to do.
What can you guys recommend I do in this case? I really do not want to get the unit fixed, as I have no time to wait anymore... The last macbook pro was in the repair depot for about a month for a superdrive to be replaced!

Thanks, Zach
( Last edited by Harodude; Mar 3, 2007 at 02:10 AM. )

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2007, 02:08 AM

Go to Apple.
Linkinus is king.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2007, 06:31 AM

I think you should be firm, explain all the problems in great detail, and try for a replacement. There was definitely a problem when your machine was put together; my new 2.33 MBP is practically perfect.

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2007, 09:48 AM

Unfortunately, Apple's quality control has completely gone down the drain. I don't think anybody can be confident tha tthey will get the quality computer they deserve when they open a new Apple computer box. Assembly seems to vary tremendously, as do quality of key components like displays.

For the past year I've wanted nothing else than to abandon Apple, but the OS is still keeping me around. I know that if I ordered a thinkpad T-series, I'd get a computer that is impeccably put together, sturdy, great support and built to last for at least three years ( 3 year warranty). Unfortunately, macos is what I like to work with and it's what I'll stick to, even if the hardware in apple's laptops is inferior.

Take it to Apple and demand a replacement! You deserve that given how much you've paid.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by pete View Post
Unfortunately, Apple's quality control has completely gone down the drain. I don't think anybody can be confident tha tthey will get the quality computer they deserve when they open a new Apple computer box. Assembly seems to vary tremendously, as do quality of key components like displays.

For the past year I've wanted nothing else than to abandon Apple, but the OS is still keeping me around. I know that if I ordered a thinkpad T-series, I'd get a computer that is impeccably put together, sturdy, great support and built to last for at least three years ( 3 year warranty). Unfortunately, macos is what I like to work with and it's what I'll stick to, even if the hardware in apple's laptops is inferior.

Take it to Apple and demand a replacement! You deserve that given how much you've paid.
You statements here are a tad over the top.

Apple has had the most reliable notebook and desktop for years. Don't take my word for it, the statistics prove it.

Built quality varies of course; it is a mass produced consumer product! Especially when they are built in China.

The hardware is not inferior in the Apple laptop. Where have you been? The Fujitsu HDD in my MacBook is the same HDD in a Lenovo, is it not?

How about the Samsung LCD panel? Same there too.

Apple is not perfect but you sure have distorted the reality significantly in your post.

If the situation was a bad as you say, Apple would not be in the situation they are in today, because most people would be returning their new Macs and that would put a serious dent in their profits they currently enjoy, which are quite amazing.

Perhaps you should abandon Apple. Sounds like you would be happier.

Typing this on my near-perfect MBP 17".
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2007, 04:23 PM

Ah, the lambent cry of the Apple apologist!

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 4, 2007, 04:54 PM

What apologist? My MBP is as close to perfect as I've seen any computer be and then some. If you depend on the message boards for a picture of how well Apple QA is doing, you're not going to get a realistic picture-almost all posts are going to be about problems. People with perfect computers, like me, are going to be using their computers, not boasting about how the fit and finish is top notch. We expect that from Apple.

Sure, they've had some issues in getting their entirely new product line out and to the customers, but this really is a complete change in that product line, so some issues are to be expected. And the fact that Apple has apparently been working VERY hard at making customers who work with them instead of just complaining happy tells me that this is not an "Apple issue," but rather a "new product line" issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Mar 4, 2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by pete View Post

Ahhhh hahaha don't make me laugh. I went from a T42 to an iBook. The T42's display hinge was kooky, the keyboard kept having problems, accidentally dropped it once and things went down the drain. My iBook, on the other hand, is impeccably sturdy and superior to my old T42.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2007, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
What apologist? My MBP is as close to perfect as I've seen any computer be and then some.
I was sitting in Starbucks today with my MBP, and a guy sat down next to me with his Sony Vaio. I felt rather sorry for him ... they really aren't nice in person sitting next to an Apple product. Lots of bumpy case molding and bulgy bits, a lousy screen, plastic obviously painted to look like aluminum, no two-finger scrolling, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules