Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > kernel_task and Mail

kernel_task and Mail
iomatic
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 02:53 PM

What. Is. Wrong. With. My. Laggy. Computer? sigh... This is worse since 10.4.5; the other thing is that Mail is showing it's still "Updating cache directory/Fetching headers", but this is nuts. The fan(s) are whirring like mad. Are there other diagnostics to find/run/known issues? Apple, don't abandon the PowerPC users yet!

1.67GHz PowerBook G4 DL... argh can't even type in Safari!!!... 2GB RAM

Help please. And wtf is HP IO Classic Proxy and Proxy 2? I don't even have Classic...! Bah!

Argh.
( Last edited by iomatic; Feb 19, 2006 at 03:02 PM. )

DeeKat
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 01:54 PM

I there! I had the exact same thing this mornig. very weird. I'm not a pro but I heard it's called a memory leak when some app eats the processing power. I couldn't event type in Word when it happen, get the beachball... very frustrating. The only thing that works is force quitting the app.

I also installed a little app called CeePeeYou that shows the percentage of the CPU being used in the menu bar, so when it gets maxed out for no apperent reason i know it's some king of «memory leak».

Maybe some of the pro on this forum know better...

DeeKat

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 07:21 PM

The only thing I changed recently was: a) Unchecked Auto-Fill --> Other forms… in Safari Preferences, and emptied the Safari cache, and now kernel_task is nowhere to be found. Bizarre. I'm sure that's not it; probably something else...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2006, 07:45 PM

What is wrong with kernel_task?

As for the HP IO proxies, I'm guessing they have something to do with a Hewlett-Packard printer or other peripheral. Got any of those?

I really don't see what the problem is with names showing up in the process viewer. The fans thing sounds like a problem, but I don't really know what to say from the information you've provided.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2006, 08:44 PM

He's saying Mail and kernel_task are taking a combined 70 something percent of his CPU, thus causing a huge slow down. iomatic, I would close Mail, restart and see if the problem persists. As Chuckit says, HP Classic Proxy refers to HP software. I do not know what it does, but it's not taking much processor or RAM up. so I don't think it's something worth worrying about.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules