Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Racing games on the PS3

Racing games on the PS3
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2010, 12:42 AM

One of the reasons i picked up a PS3 was for the racing games. Was wondering what you guys recommend on the system ?

The quality has to be good (no bugs, pop-in textures, decent draw distances, etc,etc...usual laundry list), and it has to support local and online multiplayer. From a gameplay pov, im more into the 'fun' than the 'simulators'.... i liked Excite Truck on the Wii.

Cheers.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2010, 12:47 AM

GRID
Burnout
Motorstorm

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2010, 02:44 AM

In that order ?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2010, 06:31 AM

I'd put Burnout Paradise ahead of GRID, get "The Ultimate Box" version if you can, it has DLC and game updates included.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2010, 06:43 AM

Any opinions on MotorStorm Pacific Rift ?

Railroader
Banned
Apr 13, 2010, 06:49 AM

Personally, my opinion in order of "fun" for me:
Baja
Dirt 2
Grid

For realism though, I like:
GRID
Need For Speed: Shift

A new racing game coming out that I am looking forward to is Blur.

And a friend was a beat tester for ModNations Racers and he LOVES it, but he is not normally a racing game fan.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Any opinions on MotorStorm Pacific Rift ?
I thought it was pretty fun. The good thing is they do have demos for Burnout, Dirt2, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Need For Speed: Shift, and GRID on the PSN so you can try them all out before you buy.

Personally I'm not a big Burnout fan, but most on here love it. Burnout is to arcade for me. GRID is a better balance of realism and arcade feel, IMO. Dirt 2 is by Codemasters, same guys that did GRID so if you like GRID you'd probably like Dirt 2 as well.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2010, 12:35 AM

Thanks for the advise guys. I did enjoy Excite truck a lot on the Wii, so when i saw MotorStormPR it seemed like a good fit.

Played it for a couple of hours yesterday. The visuals and physics are outstanding. i really like the arcadey gameplay. The shadows were a bit iffy.... but after playing the Wii, im just glad there are shadows .

A few negatives: cannot choose music from your own library, andt he included selection is kinda poor imho. the mechanics are a bit too 'drifty'/'floaty'. and when you crash it takes a little too long to get back into the race.

Anyone know how/where to check for updates ? i'm keen to try out online multiplayer as well.

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules