Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac shipped with 10.1.2!?!?

New iMac shipped with 10.1.2!?!?
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2002, 06:44 PM

My Dad just bought a new flat panel iMac yesterday. It's the midrange model with the CD -burner.

The factory installed version of OS X was 10.1.2...very wierd that a recently built computer wouldn't ship with the current 10.1.3.

Chris

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2002, 02:21 PM

Where did he buy it?

lb4runner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2002, 06:50 PM

One ordered from Apple store delivered around March 10 also had 10.1.2. Used Software Update to bring up to 10.1.3. With cable modem connection, it did not take too long.

chabig  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2002, 08:13 PM

He bought it at an Apple store.

I suppose it's possible that hard drives have not been in short supply and that Apple's deliveries were contrained by some other components. If so, perhaps they loaded a bunch of hard drives last month and they have been sitting around waiting to be put into iMacs.

Chris

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2002, 01:14 AM

My Superdrive model did, too. At least I already had a copy of the 10.1.3 update on disk, so it only took a few minutes to be up and running with the latest...

walrusjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2002, 10:24 AM

Same here - on a Superdrive model.

What I found even more odd is that at the Keynote, the hyped the sh@t out of iPhoto... and it didn't come pre-installed. ???

My wife called me at the office and asked where the button was in image capture that sorted the pictures by "rolls."

No, it's tucked away on a CD. Weird.

She needed to learn how to run an installer, anyway
http://www.KeynotePro.com - Keynote Themes for Professionals

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2002, 06:07 PM

My PowerMac G4 800 came with 10.1.2 as well, and iPhoto wasn't installed either.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2002, 11:01 PM

My iMac 800 which arrived yesterday came with 10.1.2 and no iPhoto. No biggie, took just minutes to upgrade.

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2002, 11:22 PM

If i remember correctly Steve said "iPhoto is available as a free download"...don't think he ever mentioned that it would actually be "On" the computers.

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2002, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by iKevin:
<STRONG>If i remember correctly Steve said "iPhoto is available as a free download"...don't think he ever mentioned that it would actually be "On" the computers.</STRONG>
Why would Apple do this? [conspiracy theory on]TO track and boast about downloads? [/conspiracy off] Or was it just a byproduct of the assembly line process?

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Mar 27, 2002, 07:21 PM

Well, my iMac came with 10.1.2 and the firmware glitch that Apple has so far been secretive about:

Documents received by MacUser have confirmed that some flat-panel iMac units have been hit by a firmware problem. It is likely that this contributed to the shipping delays that have plagued Apple in recent weeks.

An article posted to a restricted section of Apple's Knowledge Base online support resource contains details and installation instructions for an iMac firmware update. The file, which is only available to Apple internal staff members and official support providers, updates the firmware on the iMac's SuperDrive which improves compatibility with the Maxtor hard drive. The document says the update is only needed when performing a service repair on a SuperDrive iMac.

Apple declined to comment on why this firmware update was not released to the public. It was probably withheld to avoid further damaging consumer confidence in a machine which is still not widely available almost three months after its launch. The problem will have been rectified on any new machines coming off the production line after the issue was identified, but this would have significantly delayed production.

Sources have indicated that the firmware issue was only one of a host of problems which combined to cause the delays.

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2002, 07:44 PM

Well, isn't the question: How do you update the firmware on the iMac?

Normally when updating firmware, you have to hold down the programmers button while starting up. Where is the button on the iMac? I haven't found it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules