Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I want Apple to take over Chimera! (browser rant)

I want Apple to take over Chimera! (browser rant)
file
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2002, 09:08 AM

This browser is as fast as a Explorer on my old XP box! It just needs to be properly finished and released!

Explorer- Nice but it is slow and seems to lack the newest features. The Mac Business unit at MS seems to be making a great browser but it is behind Explorer 6 for their own OS. I would hate for us to get version 6 when Windows makes version 7 for themselves.

Netscape, Mozilla - Thanks but all i want is a browser. Some people may love this all in interface but i use mail, ichat and other more full featured clients for that stuff. Not bad though, good support for CSS and tabbing is nice.

Chimera! - not only does it sound cool but it is really fast. It's completely aquafied and for a browser that's so unpolished...i feel it has sooo much promise. This is the only browser i feel contends with IE. They need better CSS support and etc but i just want Apple or somebody to buy the rights and make it Polished!

Omni-web - Make me a free browser and maybe i'll use it!

tell your kid i challenge him to a beer drinking contest anytime anywhere! :mad:

deekay1
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2002, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by file:
Chimera! - not only does it sound cool but it is really fast. It's completely aquafied and for a browser that's so unpolished...
i second that opinion, but i also have to ad that i was using chimera a while ago, and it just crashed too damn often!!!

i'm back to mozilla now, but as soon as chimera is stable and has better css support, i'm "switching" - for good!

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

chris_h
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2002, 09:16 AM

i just want Apple or somebody to buy the rights and make it Polished!
They couldn't "buy the rights" to it if they wanted to. Luckily, they wouldn't need to. It's open sores.

And i think mozilla and chimera would have essentially identical CCS support, since they use the same rendering engine.

file  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2002, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by deekay1:

i second that opinion, but i also have to ad that i was using chimera a while ago, and it just crashed too damn often!!!

i'm back to mozilla now, but as soon as chimera is stable and has better css support, i'm "switching" - for good!
it feels sooo close to being excellent...
but the mozilla guys are never gonna devote any real time on this....

Apple..take it over!

tell your kid i challenge him to a beer drinking contest anytime anywhere! :mad:

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 30, 2002, 09:27 AM

you're all pathetic!!! i use Netscape 1.0 in Classic!!!
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

file  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2002, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
you're all pathetic!!! i use Netscape 1.0 in Classic!!!
what's classic?

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 30, 2002, 09:43 AM

what's classic?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2002, 10:19 AM

Does everyone know what Cunning is?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2002, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by chris_h:
It's open sores.
They should see someone about that.

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2002, 10:32 AM

http://concepthause.com/dev/

This is a browser very similar to Chimera, but IMO it's better. It's called Cunning, check it out. If Apple made a browser, I'm sure they would just take Chimera's source and work their magic.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2002, 10:55 AM

I wouldn't want them to take over, just use and enhance.

If Apple took over, the code would drift to far from the Mozilla source, and it would turn to crap.

As is, it's developing quickly, and maturing.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by L'enfanTerrible:
http://concepthause.com/dev/

This is a browser very similar to Chimera, but IMO it's better. It's called Cunning, check it out. If Apple made a browser, I'm sure they would just take Chimera's source and work their magic.
I will give this a go. What's the text rendering like, I tried Chamira and it looked like crap.
There was also a giant lack of prefs (there are loads of verious settings in OmniWeb).

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2002, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:

I will give this a go. What's the text rendering like, I tried Chamira and it looked like crap.
There was also a giant lack of prefs (there are loads of verious settings in OmniWeb).
I'm not really an expert on the technical side of the browsers, or anything for that matter

It's definitely worth a go. Noticeable things are: the aqua button bug is fixed, and it's faster at launch. It's a bit more customizable and theres a history section in the sidebar. I think that was missing from Chimera. It's not feature rich by any means, but I like the bare bones feel.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2002, 01:33 PM

apple should build web capabilities directy into the os... then you wouldnt have to wait for the browser to hop a few times and eventually start up... and i would imagine it would be much faster too

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2002, 01:35 PM

Anyone here still use Mosaic in Classic?

I do, just for kicks.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2002, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
apple should build web capabilities directy into the os... then you wouldnt have to wait for the browser to hop a few times and eventually start up... and i would imagine it would be much faster too
This is what got MS in an anti-trust suit.

Of course, Apple has small market-share, so that threat is quite small.
I do wish they'd make an HTML API, though, so somehow any program could display HTML instantly in their program. Then, it wouldn't stop MS, iCab, OmniWeb, et al, from developing their own HTML rendering engines... but it would work really well for a bunch of different applications.

Forum Links
Forum Rules