Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bought a 15" and got a iPod free!!!

Bought a 15" and got a iPod free!!!
bluesloth
Oct 9, 2003, 01:11 PM

I am so excited. I went into my campus bookstore computer store ready to buy a superdrive 15" AlBook. I was going to buy AppleCare also. The price for the powerbook alone would have been $2299.

The great news: our school had a bundle deal going on where for $100 over the normal educational price ($2399 total), you get the following:
AlBook
AppleCare
10 gb iPod

So for less money than my powerbook and Apple care would have cost together, I got an iPod also!!!

The guy at the store said we are the only campus in the nation that currently has this deal, but maybe other schools will get it also.

As far as the AlBook is concerned: No defects noticed yet. Screen seems perfect. Latch works fine. Keybourd lights up. And it's fast!!!

Well, I didn't mean to gloat on my deal. Just wanted to share my excitement. Hopefully students at other schools can also get this deal eventually. The more students buying apple, the better. A free iPod would go a long ways in convincing them.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2003, 01:27 PM

Gloat away!

Sounds like you got a very sweet deal... congrats!

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2003, 01:42 PM

Damn Awesome! The Applecare is also another $350 saved! Congrats!

bluesloth  (op)
Oct 9, 2003, 02:16 PM

Yeah, I pretty happy.

After using it for an hour I haven't noticed a heat problem. It just slightly warm. I also like ports on the side so far. Still trying to get used to the keyboard, though. It's nice and solid, just just a tad bit different than I'm used to. I'll get used to it in a day or two.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 02:23 PM

Which college?

We do not have that deal at the UW-Madison

May be I should wait...

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 02:25 PM

We don't have it at depaul here in chicago either... that's an awesome deal. What college is that?
Hi!

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 03:13 PM

We had a deal like that here at Carnegie Mellon, a deal, I'd like to add, that I didn't get in on (bitter). Not that I really need a new iPod and all, I love my first generation, but that Applecare would've been nice. Applecare, iPod for a hundred bucks more? Why not?

I talked to the guys at my computer store and they said that they were kind of ticked that Apple didn't extend the deal to all of the PB buyers (I think I was excluded because mine was BTO? I can't remember) and tried to convince Apple to spread the love a little more. No luck. Oh well.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

bluesloth  (op)
Oct 9, 2003, 03:23 PM

Brigham Young University

I'm in my second year in the MBA program here and am the only student in my class who use a mac. There are 2-3 first year students who see the light. It's funny to hear the bias against macs in such a business environment. Before I returned to school I worked at an ad agency, so we were about 50/50.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2003, 04:15 PM

I'm at the University of Maryland and love my MDD and look every day for a good deal on a new ipod so I'm jealous to say the least. Its my second year here and there are a lot more students here using macs than I saw last year. Also my chemistry teacher uses and ibook (and keynote) and my calculus teacher uses a Al powerbook. Oh and or computer labs are getting new DP G5's. . . . But as great as all that is I really want an ipod, our edu deals are only on applecare and rebates and such.

doshin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 04:52 PM

I was under the impression the deal is available everywhere.

Can someone set me straight? Why would they describe it here:

http://hotdeals.apple.com/applestore_edu/index.php

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by bluesloth:
Brigham Young University

I'm in my second year in the MBA program here and am the only student in my class who use a mac. There are 2-3 first year students who see the light. It's funny to hear the bias against macs in such a business environment. Before I returned to school I worked at an ad agency, so we were about 50/50.
Hot damn! It's always fun to see another business person with a Mac messing up all the other business kids. Everyone in my class seems to have some kind of a PC while everyone in the Masters program has an IBM (course they get them for free, so they can't really argue, can they?)

Originally posted by doshin:
I was under the impression the deal is available everywhere.

Can someone set me straight? Why would they describe it here:

http://hotdeals.apple.com/applestore_edu/index.php
I don't see the deal you're describing. However, I think the deal applies to a college individual computer stores and not necessarily to the online Educational AppleStore.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

doshin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 05:23 PM

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 07:32 PM

Its even better here at UCLA.

We have that Buy a Bundle promotion extended to 10/15. AND for some reason the UCLA price for the 1.25Ghz AlBook is $1999. And $99 Applecare! I'm serious.

So I bought a 1.25 AlBook ($2000), Applecare ($100) and a 20Gb iPod ($369) and then factor in the rebate the total comes to $2269 + tax.

Here's the sad thing, I think I can no longer keep my on campus job, and I project that if things don't get better I'd have to sell the powerbook in a month or two to pay for rent/food. =(

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 08:34 PM

Xtraz:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf!!! on apple's store, i configured education for UCLA, and im getting $2,907.00 for 1.25 PB, 20gb iPod, and Applecare!!!! would i have to stop by the ucla store on westwood blvd (the big one) and its 2000 there? till when does this expire, because im getting one next summer.
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 08:46 PM

Yeah the UCLA Store on Westwood (on campus) has a price tag thing that had $2299 crossed out and it says Special Offer: $1999

They don't list this price on the web, and they do this occasionally but unpredictably, like last year my friend got a Ti/867 for about $200 less than the usual academic price.

You need a BruinCard though, or befriend a UCLA student quickly. =)

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 09:23 PM

Will you be my friend for a few minutes this weekend?
I, ASIMO.

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 12:33 AM

The student discount only allows for one laptop and one desktop per academic year, unfortunately.

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2003, 09:25 AM

my dads UCLA faculty - bruin card...when does this offer expire?

that $600 cheaper than regular price! so cool!!!!!

I LOVE APPLE.
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2003, 07:24 PM

im there....1999, 99 applecare, and no ipods...hopefully theyll have same deal next summer

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 05:46 AM

Couldn't get yourself to buy it, spitty?

I think there were a bunch of 30GB ipods the last time I checked.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 06:24 AM

speaking of new deals and rebates.. when is Apple gonna introduce the new rebate packages/deals, as the old 'buy a bundle, get a bundle' is already expired...

lates...

PS: I know no one knows the answer here, but that info in the OP has got my hopes up...

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2003, 07:28 AM

whats the price on the 12" at the UCLA store?

THANKS
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2003, 01:35 PM

price of the 12" is $50 cheaper than regular edu. price...so......$1,349

the 17" PB is $100 cheaper - $2,699
the G5's are also $100 cheaper...

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2003, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Xtraz:
Couldn't get yourself to buy it, spitty?

I think there were a bunch of 30GB ipods the last time I checked.
nah...i dont have the money yet. if i did i would have bought it in a second, but as i said, they didnt have the iPods...the lady said they would be coming in any day. im still about 1200 short.

btw - how does the rebate work?

redcalx
Oct 15, 2003, 06:20 PM

Anyone know the link for the form I need to fill out for this deal?

bigben1024
Oct 15, 2003, 06:40 PM

WOW!
Thanks for posting this deal!!!
The education price for the ipod is $269, so in effect, you have given me the chance to get an ipod for around $70!
You are my hero.

The link is...
http://a1936.g.akamai.net/7/1936/51/...for_School.pdf
<fancy signature here>

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 06:44 PM

You are one lucky guy to get a deal like that, as for me... my University has no such deals.... oh well... I won't be buying a new Powerbook until the G5s rolls around anyways, so maybe than it'll have some great deal for us. at least... I hope...

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

S|ntax
Oct 15, 2003, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by bigben1024:
WOW!
Thanks for posting this deal!!!
The education price for the ipod is $269, so in effect, you have given me the chance to get an ipod for around $70!
You are my hero.

The link is...
http://a1936.g.akamai.net/7/1936/51/...for_School.pdf
look closer at that pdf the deal ended in sept.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by bluesloth:
I am so excited. I went into my campus bookstore computer store ready to buy a superdrive 15" AlBook. I was going to buy AppleCare also. The price for the powerbook alone would have been $2299.
sorry to bother you, but i was wondering if the byu bookstore has any of the AL's on display, preferably (sp?) the 15"? i am at weber and they do not have them on display, now anyway, and wondering if byu is nicer? ;-)

thanks!!

nick

ps does the compUSA across from university mall (state and university pkwy?) still have the blueberry ibook on sale for $1000? (they had it for that in aug this year.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

bigben1024
Oct 16, 2003, 12:10 AM

ok......
I hate you now.
just kidding.
that sucks.
I didn't look at the fine print.
I thought that because it was on the internet it was still on.
I supposed that because it is still within the month to get it postmarked, it is still on there.
Agghh.
Now I just don't know when I'll get that dann ipod.
igo.
I guess I can always continue burning cds, as my wallet will be void from when I will buy the powerbook.
I bet by the time I buy an ipod, there will be anew generation out!
Thanks for nothing! (just kidding)
<fancy signature here>

Forum Links
Forum Rules