Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Newby Airport Question

Newby Airport Question
Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2005, 06:19 PM

I'm moving into a home with friends who all have pc's and are using a linksys wireless router for internet. instead of drilling a hole in a nice hardwood floor can i just use an airport extreme card? apple says so but i want to know of real world issues or problems anyone has had. after plugging in the airport card does it do its thing automatically or what do i need to do?

thanks
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 27, 2005, 08:21 PM

Yes. Oh yes. You sure can! Boy howdy, you can do it! Yup. Uh huh. Sure.

You can indeed connect your Mac to the existing Linksys-based wireless network using an AirPort Extreme card. My home wireless network is based on a Linksys WAP54G (the access point plugs into a Linksys BEFSR41 router) and we NEVER have any problems with running around the place with our iBook. The card will indeed figure things out for itself and offer to connect to the wireless network it detects. You will (I hope) have to provide a password for the wireless network, which should not be an issue, since WPA, the new standard for WiFi security uses (gasp!) the SAME algorithm for passwords on every platform!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2005, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Yes. Oh yes. You sure can! Boy howdy, you can do it! Yup. Uh huh. Sure.

You can indeed connect your Mac to the existing Linksys-based wireless network using an AirPort Extreme card. My home wireless network is based on a Linksys WAP54G (the access point plugs into a Linksys BEFSR41 router) and we NEVER have any problems with running around the place with our iBook. The card will indeed figure things out for itself and offer to connect to the wireless network it detects. You will (I hope) have to provide a password for the wireless network, which should not be an issue, since WPA, the new standard for WiFi security uses (gasp!) the SAME algorithm for passwords on every platform!
wow, thanks glenn. i love the enthusiasm as well.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules