Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > New Altivec-enhanced Seti worker in need of testing

New Altivec-enhanced Seti worker in need of testing (Page 9)
halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2005, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by rick
If you need to download the latest developer tools (Xcode 2.2) then you need to sign up for a free account at http://connect.apple.com and go to the downloads section in your account.
I'm not sure you need Xcode to use CHUD/Shark. Here's the dl URL for the latest CHUD release as of this writing:
ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_C...CHUD_4.2.3.dmg

Also, there's a section on developer.apple.com related to performance tuning and debugging (no ADC account required):
http://developer.apple.com/tools/performance/

HTH,

Ron

amigoivo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2005, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by halimedia
I'm using the MacNN Superbench BOINC Menubar client (4.44). That's the difference, I'd say. Odd - your Quad seems a fair bit slower than E.T from tellus'. I wonder why...

Just out of curiosity: why don't you let your Quad return results immediately after they're done?

Ron
Hello Ron,

thanks for the info.
I will try the Menubar client.

I don't send my results immediatliy to the server, because my bad/slow internet connection.
I've got only an isdn connection, unfortunately here is no dsl available.

Have a nice day,
Ivo
Seti@home + Einstein@home + climateprediction.net
PowerMac QUAD G5 2,5GHz / 3GB RAM / 250GB HD

Karl Schimanek
Nov 26, 2005, 09:41 AM

Question about Shark:

Rick/ Alex, have i only got to start Shark or something else?
Give me proper instructions, please.
How long should i let shark run? Should i record all the WUs? And as what do you want me to export it?

Regards
Karl
( Last edited by Karl Schimanek; Nov 26, 2005 at 09:50 AM. )

amigoivo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2005, 11:01 AM

Moin kalle,

sachma, wie kann ich denn den BOINC Menuclienten dazu bewegen mir wieder Arbeit runterzuladen.
Ich hhate mal wieder nicht darn gedacht, alle WUs zu berechnen bevor ich was neues ausprobiere.

Im Manager hatte ich zuletzt "Kein Netzwerjzugriff" eingestellt und nun erzält mir der Menubar client das gleiche, in den Einstellung habe ich nichts zur Aktivierung der Netzwerkaktivität gefunden.

Gruß, Ivo

Karl Schimanek
Nov 26, 2005, 11:06 AM

Also beim BOINC Manager findet man es ja unter -> Datei -> Netzwerkzugriff abschalten

Des Menübar Ding kenne ich nicht. BOINC Manager is aber besser, AFAIK.
Auf MacNN lieber nicht auf deutsch posten
Dann lieber bei den Guardians -> http://www.macguardians.de/ ;D

Gruß
Kalle

amigoivo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Karl Schimanek
Also beim BOINC Manager findet man es ja unter -> Datei -> Netzwerkzugriff abschalten

Des Menübar Ding kenne ich nicht. BOINC Manager is aber besser, AFAIK.
Auf MacNN lieber nicht auf deutsch posten
Dann lieber bei den Guardians -> http://www.macguardians.de/ ;D

Gruß
Kalle
Aber wenn du da jetzt so selten bist.
Weil du viel lieber mit den Großen(m) spielen willst.

Du hast auch den Manager, dann versteh ich nicht wieso meine Benchmarks so mies sind, oder liegt das an der 5er Versio?

Gruß, Ivo

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2005, 11:54 AM

Ivo: Auch von BOINC Manager gibt's eine MacNN Superbench-Version. Guck hier:
http://members.dslextreme.com/~reade...eam/boinc.html

Back to English

HTH,

Ron

Snake_doctor
Nov 26, 2005, 03:20 PM

Ivo: Auch von BOINC Manager gibt's eine MacNN Superbench-Version. Guck hier:

Back to English

HTH,

Ron
Oh man, Did that test my 35 year old ALM German level one! While I understood about half of what was said, it made me feel pretty stupid. After all once you pass 50 you start forgetting why you moved from one room in the house to another, let alone highschool language training.

It is nice to see bright folks that have more than one language on the lists.

Regards
Phil
We must seek intelligent life on other planets as it is increasingly apparent we will not find any on our own.

Link: http://www.boincsynergy.com/images/stats/comb-2033.jpg

amigoivo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2005, 08:33 PM

Hi Phil,

i learned 10 years russian in school and i've also forgotten the most, and that was only 10 years ago.
Sometimes i'm surprised that you understand the words that i had written.

I love the dashboard translator widget.

CU, Ivo

Lauger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2005, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by E.T from tellus
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/resul...hostid=1781916
Powermac G5 quad 2.5ghz - boinc 2.72beta - seti@home-G5-a5
Average wu time/processor 2 500sec, means almost SIX units/hour

The data your reporting shows atbout 2500 sec per 22 units of claimed credit. Each work unit is worked by one core right? So on a per work unit basis, your machine should be 25% faster than my 2.0 Ghz machine.

I'm using 4500 seconds per about 12 units of credit.
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/resul...hostid=1596056
Nearly twice as much time for half the credits! Does this make sense? I'm running seti@home-G5-a5 (per the activity monitor) and Menubar 5.2.5. I see two "a5" processes in the activity monitor. Running nearly 24/7.

Thanks for the help! Trying to outrun the 5 windoze machines that the guy behind me is running!

John L

rick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2005, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by halimeida
Karl, could you post a dl URL for the Naparst client? TIA!
http://naparst.name

Rick/ Alex, have i only got to start Shark or something else?
You can get performance measurements about any program that you're running with Shark. However, if you don't have a copy of the source code then it will only provide this information with an assembly (machine code) listing. This is still useful, but difficult to translate back into exactly which lines of source code are taking up the time.

A better way is to have a copy of the source code (which you can then embed in the Shark trace) which will then give you this info. However, to properly make use of this you need a special debug version of SETI@home (it's the same as the regular version but has "debug symbols" embedded in it).

I don't think we've released debug versions of the client so you'll need to compile the source code yourself. We could release debug versions ourselves but then the debug symbols would point to where the code is on my hard drive as opposed to where it is on yours. This would then require that you have to manually tell Shark where each individual source file is, not fun.

Give me proper instructions, please.
How long should i let shark run? Should i record all the WUs? And as what do you want me to export it?
The instructions are quite detailed so I'll set up a web page with all the stuff you need. The actual build process is pretty simple (click build) put profiling the exact parts we need is trickier.

It should be enough to only profile the reference work unit (I'll include it with the source code). When doing the processing there are only 3 different areas that cause a different work load: the first chirp rate of zero (which has pulse finding as the bottleneck), the middle 90ish% (which is mainly doing the fast Fourier transform) and the last 10% (which has Gaussian finding as the main bottleneck).

Also, there's not really much point profiling the older code so I'll put the current version of the alpha 6 code up as well.

I haven't got much free time at the moment (writing a web site and starting a new job next week) so you guys will have to be patient. I'll try to get something up by next weekend.

E.T from tellus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2005, 08:05 AM

I was amazed when i got first results to quad from seti. I also crunching with X serves and other generations of G5 desktops. My G5 dual 2.7ghz
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_...hostid=1789945
uses around 4 000sec/wu. In theory 2.7ghz machine is 8% faster than 2.5ghz but in real world (seti) 2.5ghz is 37.5% faster
I guess that 512kb bigger (double size) cache and faster memory bus is behind that. I guess again that seti@home-G5-a5 client doesn't have chirping & prefetching optimizations yet. Anyway you guys are make amazing job already.
In this article http://www.dspengineering.com/articles/paavola/
is good explanation of calculating performance and potential of PPC. Anyway getting out full memory bandwith from ppc 970 needs 64byte code.....
( Last edited by E.T from tellus; Nov 27, 2005 at 10:30 AM. )

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2005, 02:26 PM

Slightly OT: Does anyone know what to change in which file to reset the reconnect-timer after a machine has been unintentionally off-line for a long time? I just now have a situation with one of my machines where I get the dreaded 'Deferring communication with project for 19 hours, 33 minutes, 56 seconds' in the log when the machine is actually on-line now and could ul/dl work. Any hints would be wildly appreciated!

Cheers,

Ron

mikkyo
Senior User
Nov 27, 2005, 03:52 PM

[html]
Stop the client.
In client_state.xml, find the
<project>
tag with the
<master_url>
for your project.
Several lines down in that project entry will be something like
<min_rpc_time>1133045778.012430</min_rpc_time>
change the number to 0 like
<min_rpc_time>0</min_rpc_time>

Save and start the client.
[/html]
Code tags are not working correctly in the new vB. Only [php] and [html] tags seem to let you embed greater/less-than symbols.
( Last edited by mikkyo; Nov 27, 2005 at 04:10 PM. )

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2005, 05:22 AM

Thanks a bunch, mikkyo. Worked like a charm!

gorbag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2005, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lauger
The data your reporting shows atbout 2500 sec per 22 units of claimed credit. Each work unit is worked by one core right? So on a per work unit basis, your machine should be 25% faster than my 2.0 Ghz machine.

I'm using 4500 seconds per about 12 units of credit.
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/resul...hostid=1596056
Nearly twice as much time for half the credits! Does this make sense? I'm running seti@home-G5-a5 (per the activity monitor) and Menubar 5.2.5. I see two "a5" processes in the activity monitor. Running nearly 24/7.

Thanks for the help! Trying to outrun the 5 windoze machines that the guy behind me is running!

John L
Try forcing rerunning of the benchmarks; that's what I had to do on all my machines.

rick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2005, 06:29 PM

Hey guys, I was replying to a message on one of the Apple mailing lists.

Would it be possible for one of you pimps with a quad to email me (or leave a forum message) with the entire output of the "sysctl -a" command, i.e. just type:
Code:
sysctl -a
in the Terminal app and then cut and paste it.

There shouldn't be any privacy concerns (all the sysctl information is just hardware info or kernel parameters) but remove any lines you wouldn't like to be public.

Having a quick look through mine, the only lines that you might be worried about are:
  • kern.hostname (your computer's network name)
  • kern.boottime (when you booted, for the über paranoid)

As incentive, the person inquiring is from Blizzard.

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2005, 04:08 AM

Just FYI: I took a closer look at ET from Tellus' Quad results, and it appears that it will arrive at a RAC of 2900 to 3300 (compared to 900 to 980 with a DP 2.5 GHz).

Incidentally, such a RAC would put him in in second place on the SETI/BOINC top computer list...

Damn, I need to get ahold of one of these beasts!

Another comparison: a Quad is roughly 100 times faster than an iMac G3 400 MHz. 5 years of evolution, 100 x speed increase? You beat Moore's Law by a wide margin, Steve! Was about time, IMO
( Last edited by halimedia; Dec 1, 2005 at 01:24 PM. )

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2005, 10:09 AM

Damn, I need to get ahold of one of these beasts!
Another FYI: the Apple on-line store in Switzerland (but I assume elsewhere in Europe, too, and possibly even world-wide) has a x-mas financing special: 0 % (!!) interest for a financing duration of 24 months. I think I know what I'll do next...

Edit 1: this offer may only be available to businesses. I'll check on that and let you know...

Edit 2: Yes, businesses only, but available in several European countries (don't know which, unfortunately). But if you're interested, call the Apple Store. They might just be able to help you out (disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Apple, the Apple Store, blah, blah...).
( Last edited by halimedia; Dec 1, 2005 at 12:51 PM. )

Karl Schimanek
Dec 1, 2005, 01:21 PM

One question about the time difference between the UNIX time command an the init_data.xml file. Is this bug with the newest BOINC Manager solved. It is a bug, isn't it? I missed the point.

Regards
Karl

rick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2005, 12:04 PM

One question about the time difference between the UNIX time command an the init_data.xml file. Is this bug with the newest BOINC Manager solved. It is a bug, isn't it? I missed the point.
Yeah, I had a look into the code that does this a while back when we were trying to figure it out.

From my brief look over the BOINC code, it looks as though it does things correctly. However, the difference is that the init_data.xml file records the time as the "user time" plus the "system time". The time command will show these as separate values.

I don't know what's been changed in the new BOINC 5 code so it may be done differently. As far as I know, the main (probably only) change from BOINC 4 to 5 was the different method for account registration.

I think version 5 has fixed the short work unit time problem (where a work unit result was not correctly flagged as having too many results). They said they added the code before BOINC 5 was released so I assume it made it in.

I'll get round to checking at some point.

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2005, 01:44 PM

Rick: I don't mean to be pesky, but I'm wondering how alpha-6 is coming along. I'm dying to give my dual 2.5 GHz G5 a shot in the arm (before my dual 1.2 GHz G4 gets a higher RAC ).

If you need any G5 testers with small caches, I'll gladly volunteer...

All the best,

Ron

E.T from tellus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2005, 03:41 PM

Boinc still don't have any glue of real amount of memory. Everything over 2gig is reported 2048mb. I think boinc uses hw.physmem to figure it out memory amout, but total memory is reported in hw.memsize
My machine reports:
hw.physmem = 2147483648
hw.memsize = 8589934592
Anyone capable to fix that, my programming skills are from early 80's (Z80 asm, 6502 asm, fortran and basic) i read C better than hebrew but ....

Anyway congratulations! Karl Schimanek your machine is ranked 14th fastest on the planet
( Last edited by E.T from tellus; Dec 2, 2005 at 03:49 PM. )

mikkyo
Senior User
Dec 2, 2005, 10:01 PM

Boinc still don't have any glue of real amount of memory. Everything over 2gig is reported 2048mb. I think boinc uses hw.physmem to figure it out memory amout, but total memory is reported in hw.memsize
My machine reports:
hw.physmem = 2147483648
hw.memsize = 8589934592
Anyone capable to fix that, my programming skills are from early 80's (Z80 asm, 6502 asm, fortran and basic) i read C better than hebrew but ....
Here it is:
client/hostinfo_unix.C:
mib[0] = CTL_HW;
mib[1] = HW_PHYSMEM;
len = sizeof(mem_size);
sysctl(mib, 2, &mem_size, &len, NULL, 0); // Mac OS X
m_nbytes = mem_size;

rick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 08:24 AM

Rick: I don't mean to be pesky, but I'm wondering how alpha-6 is coming along. I'm dying to give my dual 2.5 GHz G5 a shot in the arm (before my dual 1.2 GHz G4 gets a higher RAC ).
Ack! Don't ask!

In the past two weeks my free time has gone from infinite to virtually zero from applying for jobs, various favours and the occasional misadventure. I've hardly had a chance to make any more changes to the SETI code. I was hoping to get some time this weekend but probably not before next week now.

Plus I've had a few offers from people to run some code on their shiny new duals. Trust me, if I had the time I would be all over this. In summary: patience please.

Oh, and Alex has gone AWOL so...

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2005, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Rick! Good things come to those who wait (maybe for Chrismas? )

Seriously - you and Alex have done an outstanding job with your optimizations! There are now two Macs in the top 20 of fastest machines crunching SETI/BOINC, and there will be more, that's for sure. And it gets even better: these Quads will likely beat all the Intel boxes doing the same. Way to go!

Good luck with the job search!

Gratefully,

Ron

Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2005, 11:45 AM

There are now two Macs in the top 20 of fastest machines crunching SETI/BOINC
Plus 3 in Einstein

K.

alexkan  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2005, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by rick
Ack! Don't ask!

In the past two weeks my free time has gone from infinite to virtually zero from applying for jobs, various favours and the occasional misadventure. I've hardly had a chance to make any more changes to the SETI code. I was hoping to get some time this weekend but probably not before next week now.

Plus I've had a few offers from people to run some code on their shiny new duals. Trust me, if I had the time I would be all over this. In summary: patience please.

Oh, and Alex has gone AWOL so...
Yeah, sorry about being AWOL...I still read the thread pretty regularly, but that and posting is really all I have time for--but there isn't much for me to post about, either. It's job application/interview time for me, too. That and we have an optimization assignment in my compilers course.

Maybe over winter break, if SETI Enhanced doesn't come out before then.

Karl Schimanek
Dec 3, 2005, 03:02 PM

Anyway congratulations! Karl Schimanek your machine is ranked 14th fastest on the planet
Thanks, but your machine seems to be faster as mine. I wonder why. Maybe the BOINC Manager makes the different or the installed RAM

Any ideas? I dunno ...

Regards
Karl

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 03:51 PM

I can't seem to make this work:

Running G5 2.5 dual 2.5 gigs ram stock 160 gig HD, 9600 XT etc.

First of all, I downloaded the CLI 4.44 G5 Superbench client at:

It runs, but I downloaded the G5-A5 client from the link in the first message on
the first page of this thread and placed it and the XML file in the same directory
as I placed the CLI 4.44 G5 Superbench client and get the following if I try to run
it:

./seti@home-G5-a5 -attach_project http://setiathome.berkeley.edu (really long hex number deleted)
bad arg: -attach_project
options:
-version show version info
-verbose print running status
-standalone

If I just try to run ./seti@home-G5-a5 with no parameters it returns me to a command line
prompt.

So, how do I get this faster client to work? P.S. I far prefer running a CLI client since
they run faster and the graphical one always seems intrusive and I'd prefer to keep
running CLI clients since I've done this for several years with no problems.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 05:13 PM

OH WOW.

I just decided to try the menubar graphical client for fun.

TOTAL KNOCKING MY SOCKS OFF MODE.
CPU1 got to 20% in SEVEN MINUTES!
CPU2 got to 10% in 6:32

For fun I brought up the old graphics and they are super-modern (well, they remind
me of the Playstation1 version of Tempest but for Seti use) and RIDICULOUSLY FAST.

Do you mean if I can get this new G5 optimized client interfaced with this I could
possiblty have it running even FASTER yet?

Making my head spin here.

(Update - projected completion for block 1 sometime around 58 minutes,
projected completion for block two around 1 hr, 1 minute).

Wow.
( Last edited by Todd Madson; Dec 3, 2005 at 05:37 PM. )

E.T from tellus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 07:30 PM

Thanks, but your machine seems to be faster as mine. I wonder why. Maybe the BOINC Manager makes the different or the installed RAM

Any ideas? I dunno ...

Regards
Karl

My machine crunch "stand alone" actually there is no dispaly or keyboard connected (computer is part of cluster as other machines i crunch) I use just command line boinc 5.2.8 and seti-g5-a5.
I think that background processes took quite much time when some one is logged in.

Adding more memory doesn't help much, i start with standard 512mbRAM and one wu took 2 500seconds. Adding 7.5gig doesn't help much just 100seconds ( 2 400sec/wu)
I had 8 x 1gb DDR2 533mhz CL4 memory. Getting faster CL3 memory helps much at least 20%, Bottleneck is memory bandwith. As faster memory you get that faster you crunch. Thats why new G5 machines with DDR2 memory are way much faster than previous generation G5's

And many thanks to mikkyo for help I think i figure it out how boinc can realize total amount of memory.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 11:25 AM

Update:
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/resul...userid=7779425

Wow. Shocked. Times from 3,655.75 to 4,172.96 seconds on a DP 2.5 G5 using
G5-A5 with the Superbench Menubar client. Many of the credits from 3600-3900
seconds.

(Updated - FYI - this G5 has 2.5 GB ram, two matched pairs of 512 and the original
256 + 256 combination Apple provided).

I haven't even started any of my other machines yet.

One thing I notice - this graphical client tends to make the fans rev in my G5
much more than the previous Seti @ Home and I ponder if I can run the CLI
version to mitigate that...still can't get that running here for some reason.
( Last edited by Todd Madson; Dec 4, 2005 at 11:54 AM. )

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
One thing I notice - this graphical client tends to make the fans rev in my G5
much more than the previous Seti @ Home and I ponder if I can run the CLI
version to mitigate that...still can't get that running here for some reason.
No reason why the CLI version wouldn't work. What are you running now? Still BOINC Menubar? If so, I would leave it that way, unless you are running headlessly. BOINC Menubar consumes hardly any more cycles than the CLI-version, and gives you the added benefit of point-and-click control.

The reason why the fans are revving more often ist likely because your CPUs have to do a little more lifting to arrive at these awesome WU-times

Happy crunching!

Ron

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2005, 02:49 PM

I'm getting an average time of 4,200~ seconds on my Dual 2.5GHz with G5-A5 and Superbench Menubar.

Is that abnormal? Or are Todd's scores just abnormal?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I'm getting an average time of 4,200~ seconds on my Dual 2.5GHz with G5-A5 and Superbench Menubar.
Same here...

Is that abnormal? Or are Todd's scores just abnormal?
Not necessarily. I've had streaks of short/fast WUs. Todd's most recent WUs are in the 4000s range. It's also possible that he only runs on one CPU. Take a look again after a day or so. Things will be more clear then (when he's done tinkering with his installation )

Cheers,

Ron

mikkyo
Senior User
Dec 4, 2005, 03:10 PM

And many thanks to mikkyo for help I think i figure it out how boinc can realize total amount of memory.
The next version of my beta superbench clients will have the memory fix in them.

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2005, 03:33 PM

mikkyo: If I want to test your current beta release of the Superbench CLI client in a Menubar environment, can I just stick the CLI client in BOINC Menubar.app/Contents/Resources/? Or is there more to it?

TIA for your feedback!

Cheers,

Ron

mikkyo
Senior User
Dec 4, 2005, 05:00 PM

Current superbench Beta clients shouldn't work in the GUI apps.
You can try, but I doubt you'll have much success.
You rename the boinc_5.2.13ppcALL to the same name as the boinc client in the Menubar or Manager (boinc) and copy it inside the app bundle(control click on the app and Show Package Contents) into Contents:Resources, replacing the one there.
For extra credit, rename the original boinc to something like OldBoinc first, so when it doesn't work you can go back to the working version real easy.

Drash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 12:36 AM

OK now I'm confused - I HAD boinc_4.44ppcG4Superbench shoehorned inside a previous version of BOINCManager (can't lay my hands on its version no. at the moment) and it worked (ie. inside as a resource). I thought that was the "proper" way to be doing things for max cruching and max user/GUI goodness.

I've now got boinc_5.2.13ppcG4Superbench inside a newer BOINCManager (5.2.8) and "Current superbench Beta clients shouldn't work in the GUI apps". Did I miss the readme, because now I've noticed I'm getting MD5 checksum errors on the new doanloaded wu's, SETI may be the problem or it could be me - they've got heavy traffic they're looking into. I thought it was working, now I'm not so sure.

I've got a feeling this whole process (BOINC esp.) is just unnecessarily complex and confusing - too many ways, too many versions, too many methods. When I get something working I don't know whether it's the best (which I take to mean fastest) option. What to do?

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2005, 12:33 PM

Two Quads in the Top Ten and no x86 can stop them...

http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/top_hosts.php

Keep it coming, guys!

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2005, 02:35 PM

FYI: I took an iMac G5 2.1 GHz on-line today (BOINC CLI Superbench 4.44, alpha-5). Seems pretty speedy (about the same as my Dual 2.5 GHz G5 when running on only one processor).

http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/show...hostid=1894899

Cheers,

Ron

Karl Schimanek
Dec 5, 2005, 02:47 PM

Since yesterday, i can't upload any wu
Has anybody else this problem?

Karl

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2005, 03:04 PM

Since yesterday, i can't upload any wu
Has anybody else this problem?
I'm seeing it sporadically with most of my machines, too, but eventually all results manage to upload.

Although they didn't expect it, my guess is that the SETI folks are having bandwidth issues due to the migration of SETI Classic users to SETI BOINC:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/tech_news.php

Hope it clears up when the migration is complete...

FWIW,

Ron

E.T from tellus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 03:05 PM

Karl i have same problem, i just found error 500 from logs

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2005, 03:18 PM

I have a theory why you two Quadders are having more of a problem than others:

There is a lag until a result finally manages to upload. This lag is short enough to keep up with the generation of new results on most machines. Because your boxes are so damn fast, you are arriving at a backlog of results. No gain without pain, I guess?

Cheers,

Ron

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 09:10 PM

Maybe that's what is happening to me. Right now I am looking at 11
work units sitting at 100%, I'll have 12 in 6 minutes and 13 in 22 mins.

All of these blocks say "uploading" but my router hung yesterday eve
and I'm not sure if resetting it messed things up or not - I'm on the net
and have an IP and I've backed out/rebooted but still sitting there at
uploading.

P.S. I believe I am running both processors but the configuration prefs
in boinc manager has been grayed out since I started running it, but I
looked in activity monitor and it says two and sometimes three instances
are running at any given time.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
Maybe that's what is happening to me. Right now I am looking at 11
work units sitting at 100%, I'll have 12 in 6 minutes and 13 in 22 mins.

All of these blocks say "uploading" but my router hung yesterday eve
and I'm not sure if resetting it messed things up or not - I'm on the net
and have an IP and I've backed out/rebooted but still sitting there at
uploading.

P.S. I believe I am running both processors but the configuration prefs
in boinc manager has been grayed out since I started running it, but I
looked in activity monitor and it says two and sometimes three instances
are running at any given time.
It is a server level issue. Lot's of folks having problems with it, not just Mac users. I would recommend reporting those problems in the SETI BOINC forums.

Snake_doctor
Dec 7, 2005, 09:03 AM

Has anyone tried the new S@H Mac App from the project? How does it compar to Alex and Ricks effort?

Regards
Phil
We must seek intelligent life on other planets as it is increasingly apparent we will not find any on our own.

Link: http://www.boincsynergy.com/images/stats/comb-2033.jpg

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 08:40 PM

Yikes. Now I have 35 blocks waiting to upload. When will it end?

Forum Links
Forum Rules