Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Easy File Backup for Windows

Easy File Backup for Windows
bluesloth
Sep 19, 2007, 10:48 PM

Hi All,

I'm trying to find a good program for backing up the files on my Dad's Windows XP laptop. What I've found on Version Tracker is either crap or expensive. My Dad has very limited technical abilities, so I need something simple. Free or Cheep is best. Is there anything like Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper?

Whenever I try to find software for Windows I'm always surprised at how bad most of it is. Their might be fewer developers for Mac, but on average the quality is higher.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2007, 08:40 AM

Windows' built in back up utility is fairly good, robust, and your dad already has it. It is not the easiest piece of backup software, but it's not difficult either. A big mistake a whole lot of people make with Windows software is that they don't read the app's help-most programs have a decent tutorial and the built in backup is no exception. Crank it up, read the instructions in its help, and see if it meets your needs. It will support external drives, optical drives, even tape drives! I believe it even supports bootable backups, but booting for restore is something that you can find lots of other tools for too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2007, 11:27 AM

I need a backup-restore utility for Windows, Glenn. What do you recommend?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 21, 2007, 02:50 PM

I've always used what comes with Windows. It's native, supports all the media I might use, and it's fairly simple to use. If it's not your cup of tea for some reason, there are a few other ways to go-such as building a Bart-PE boot disc and including a DriveImage plug in. Check out Bart's pages for details. I think this is more trouble, but it does seem a bit more streamlined than Microsoft's interface.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2007, 07:22 PM

Thank you. The problem with Windows Backup is that it doesn't let me select just the core system for an optimized ISO. I don't need the whole drive backed up.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 27, 2007, 10:14 AM

You should be able to select any subset of files on the source drive. I'll have to wait until later to play with it and see if there's something I'm picturing in my head that doesn't show up immediately-I'll try to post some ideas later.

Forum Links
Forum Rules