Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Career Path working with Macs?

New Career Path working with Macs?
Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2010, 02:33 PM

I'm looking for some resources to begin a new career path. I have a Masters degree in Urban Planning but that field is all but dead. The plan was to develop land but with the current conditions we are in I do not see it happening. Not on the same scale of 2001-2006 when I was in school anyways.

I’d love to get into something with computers. By "something", I mean I don't really know what aspect I'd like to get involved in. I’ve been working on Macs since my first PowerMac 6100 and would love to work exclusively on Macs. I've thought about enrolling at a community college to get an associates degree and looking into job placement from there. Does anyone have any insight into the best route to take that could land me a job working with Macs or is it a bit of a crap shoot? I’m thinking it’s a crap shoot but I wanted to test the waters here before taking a day off of work and bugging an adviser at a community college.

I look forward to any response and I may have some follow up questions as the responses trickle in. If anyone can speak locally on the matter, I live 10 minutes southwest of Minneapolis in the ‘burbs.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 27, 2010, 02:45 PM

By "work on" do you mean troubleshoot, fix, sell, use...?

IT isn't a hard field to get into, but it's easy to get stuck at a low level for a long time. There are several threads here on working at Apple stores if that's what you'd like.

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2010, 03:57 PM

I'm not sure what I mean by work. I've been using Macs forever and have worked on them in many forms. I've repaired them, installed new hardware, troubleshoot software and OS problems, I used to play around with the OS quite a bit when I was younger and had more time but lately I haven't been able to do as much of that. I don't want to sell them and I have no interest in working in an Apple Store. It's easier to get into an Ivy League school than work at an Apple Store.

Maybe I will have to bug an adviser at a community college for a little more information. I was hoping someone else had already asked the questions I'd be going to ask to save myself a trip and engage in some dialogue here.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2010, 04:47 PM

There are some teaching, training, and sys admin Mac related jobs out there, but my sense is that they are fairly rare, and largely related to the content creation/media industry. There are plenty of creative type jobs for people who work in content creation and use a Mac.

By far and large though, most IT jobs overall seem to be Linux and Windows focused.

Forum Links
Forum Rules