Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Bluetooth Adapter for i960?

Bluetooth Adapter for i960?
nobitacu
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 08:48 PM

Hello,

I've ran out of space on my desk for my i960 printer, and well, I don't have long enough cord to reach my other desk, and I don't want to spend another $50 or so to buy another cable. Is there a bluetooth adapter that would work with the i960 so I can print wirelessly through bluetooth with my 17inch Powerbook? Much rather spend the extra on a bluetooth adapter for the printer than buying a lengthly cord only to trip over it.

Thanks,

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2004, 09:06 AM

How about an Airport Extreme base station?

It has a USB port so that you can print wirelessly.

It's probably more expensive than $50, so.. your choice.

/* Haven't heard of a recent Bluetooth adapter for printers (that work in OS X). Older adapters I've come across have some problems (don't know whether they have been ironed out yet or not), and they are for Parallel Port printers... so no go. */
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 12:49 PM

Do NOT use bluetooth with photo printers. It will totally choke with anything other then simple text.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nobitacu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by andretan:
How about an Airport Extreme base station?

It has a USB port so that you can print wirelessly.

It's probably more expensive than $50, so.. your choice.

/* Haven't heard of a recent Bluetooth adapter for printers (that work in OS X). Older adapters I've come across have some problems (don't know whether they have been ironed out yet or not), and they are for Parallel Port printers... so no go. */
I do have and use an Airport Extreme Base Station. But the base station is located in my living room where my main cable base station is, in which it was than connected to the AEBS. But how is that wireless? I would still have to put the printer next to the AEBS and connect it using a USB cable. My printer is in my room/office/studio. I won't want to buy another AEBS just so I can plug my printer into it. I won't want to connect my printer to the AEBS I have now because than I would have to walk all the way down stairs just to get my paper that I've printed out. I guess since there isn't a good bluetooth adapter for printers yet... I'm out of luck. Oh well... I guess I'll just have to live with my printer on the floor under my desk.

Thanks though for your infos,

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 29, 2004, 01:50 PM

Just buy the long cable (from, say, PCcables.com). It's not $50 for a cable, it's more like 10, and just run it in a smart place and tack it down and you'll be fine.

tooki

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 04:11 PM

Any wireless solution is going to cost you more than $50, so may as well just buy a long USB cable.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Any wireless solution is going to cost you more than $50, so may as well just buy a long USB cable.
You really aren't supposed to have USB cables over 10 feet though.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
You really aren't supposed to have USB cables over 10 feet though.
I thought it was more than that. 16 feet or something like that for USB 1.1 (more for USB 2.0 devices).

Other than a long cable (or other cabled solutions like USB over cat-5, etc), the only option is an 802.11 wireless print server. Several options available. Check out D-Link and Linksys websites.

I'd think Bluetooth photo printing would be depressingly slow.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 06:03 PM

This is also an interesting product.

http://www.keyspan.com/news/news.040108USBServer.spml

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules