Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iDVD is stuck on Step 4 for seven hours so far...

iDVD is stuck on Step 4 for seven hours so far...
Jansar
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2004, 12:55 AM

I'm just wondering if anyone's familiar with iDVD's big bug. I don't know when or why, but I'm trying to burn a DVD and it's hanging on step 4 "multiplexing and burning" forever. I have ruined three DVDs so far, and I'm not planning to ruin more. This project I'm burning is due tomorrow, and I'll be damned if Apple is going to fk over my 50+ hours of hard work.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2004, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Jansar:
I'm just wondering if anyone's familiar with iDVD's big bug. I don't know when or why, but I'm trying to burn a DVD and it's hanging on step 4 "multiplexing and burning" forever. I have ruined three DVDs so far, and I'm not planning to ruin more. This project I'm burning is due tomorrow, and I'll be damned if Apple is going to fk over my 50+ hours of hard work.
How big is the project? That's interesting I've never heard of iDVD taking that long.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2004, 09:28 AM

I created a project 2 days ago that is about 1 hr, 48 mins longs. First attempt at burning caused iDVD to crash. Restart for good luck. Second attempt iDVD crashed again. Third attempt, it finally burned the DVD. I forgot to show the TV Safe Area, so I didn't start another burn (I need 3 copies) but went back into the project and fixed one of the buttons. Start the encoding/burning/multiplexing again. Start at 7:20pm. Got up next morning at 6am, it's still on Step 3, Asset encoding. Force quit iDVD. Restart. Start project again at around 7:30am. Come home from work at 7:30pm, it's still on Step 3. Force quit. Start again. Finally this morning it burned the 2nd disc. Check it, the button is still outside the TV safe area (in exactly the same position as before). Trying for disc 3 now.

Another frustrating part is I have a dual 1.8 G5, and iDVD only takes between 5% and 6% of the processor. Attention iDVD: there are 2 processors available, go ahead an max out one of them!!!!

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 08:51 AM

Update: Tried to re-encode my project starting yesterday at 6:20am. When I got home at 7:20pm, it was still going. Force quit, restart, retry encoding. As of 5:45am this morning, it's still going.

I thought iDVD was a 2 to 1 encoding ratio? In other words, for every one hour of video, it would take 2 hours to encode?

iDVD is rapidly becoming my least favorite program.

Ricky
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2004, 04:25 PM

iDVD does need work. I've experienced many of the same things you've described. It's like spinning a roulette wheel as to whether or not the project will burn.

johnt519
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2004, 07:47 PM

There is an issue with iDVD and g5's. iDVD 4.0.1 was supposed to fix it, but I found that it didn't. (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93665) (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107937)

Go into Preferences and change the Quality from better size to better quality (or whatever the actual wording is - I'm not at my G5 right now) (there used to be an article at Apple's support site that described the "fix" but I can't find it.)

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by johnt519:
There is an issue with iDVD and g5's. iDVD 4.0.1 was supposed to fix it, but I found that it didn't. (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93665) (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107937)

Go into Preferences and change the Quality from better size to better quality (or whatever the actual wording is - I'm not at my G5 right now) (there used to be an article at Apple's support site that described the "fix" but I can't find it.)
Prefs- Encoder settings- Change from Best performance (Max 60 mins) to Best Quality
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by johnt519:

I already did that.....if you see my original post, you'll notice that the movie I'm working on is 1 hr, 48 mins. The other setting only works for movies that are 1 hr or less.

Thanks for the Apple link though.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
Update: Tried to re-encode my project starting yesterday at 6:20am. When I got home at 7:20pm, it was still going. Force quit, restart, retry encoding. As of 5:45am this morning, it's still going.

I thought iDVD was a 2 to 1 encoding ratio? In other words, for every one hour of video, it would take 2 hours to encode?

iDVD is rapidly becoming my least favorite program.
Finally got a good copy. Used DVD Imager to rip it into a disk image and Toast to burn it. Much quick this way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules