Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Looking to use a different drive to run OS...slave/master settings necessary?

Looking to use a different drive to run OS...slave/master settings necessary?
Jansar
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 10:39 PM

Just like the title, I'm looking to use one of my bigger drives that I used to just store stuff in and turn it into the prime drive to run my OS. Now, my question is: do I have to mess with master/slave settings on my hard drive to make it work properly? Thanks.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

reader50
Administrator
Sep 15, 2004, 11:19 PM

No. Macs don't care if you boot from a drive jumpered as Master or Slave. Install the OS and select the new drive in Startup Disk.

Jansar  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 12:31 AM

Thanks for your help! I'll get right to it.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 12:55 AM

I always put my main HD with the shortest cable from the motherboard, even though it really won't show with speed. Just something i do ;-) But now with a G5, I don't think I have any control of that
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by reader50:
No. Macs don't care if you boot from a drive jumpered as Master or Slave. Install the OS and select the new drive in Startup Disk.
This is true, however, the system will always look first at the Master drive for a bootable system folder, then the others.... so it is slightly faster time-wise to have the start-up drive as the master, but not absolutely necessary
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

reader50
Administrator
Sep 18, 2004, 11:58 AM

If a boot partition has been selected in Startup Disk, the system should go there first.

Forum Links
Forum Rules