Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Metroid Prime 2

Metroid Prime 2
Jansar
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2004, 02:05 AM

I didn't think it would be out, but there I was in Best Buy to pick up a copy of Halo 2, and I saw an unusual-looking silver (almost holographic-esque) GameCube game. I take a closer look, and sure enough - it was Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. I brought it straight back home to play it, even before Halo 2.

To me, the game llives up to its hype. It's completely stunning - and for $50, it was worth it. I have not tried multiplayer yet, but the single player is a beefed-up upgrade of the previous Metroid Prime game. In my opinion, better graphics, a cooler interface, and what so far seems to be a cool storyline (of the light/dark, etc). The controls are slightly different from the prequel, but the excitement hasn't gone away.

If you already haven't (or if you didn't know it was in stores yet, like me) - pick this up!
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

RiSE
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2004, 02:26 AM

I was a big fan of metriod prime, its one of the only few reasons to buy a game cube.

I'm the strongest person in the village where all the leaves are.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2004, 03:20 AM

I am about an hour into it, nothing new or exciting, rather meh about 1 hour into it especially after the past 3 months when a ton of other great games have come out. Loved that last version though.

I'll have more to say about it when I give it a bit more play.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2004, 09:03 PM

I'm on the 2nd world and am really digging it. It was a little scary in the dark world before getting the Dark Suit.

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2004, 09:09 PM

samus is hot in the 75%+ ending.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2004, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
samus is hot in the 75%+ ending.
Is that based on scanning or item %?

Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2004, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
I would think item.

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2004, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
you get galleries by scans and endings by items.

Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2004, 03:15 AM

OK i am a few hours into it and think I know it well enough to give my opinion on it.

I LOVED the first one, very innovative and a nice turn around for the series. Played it through twice.

As for the second one.... YOU NEED TO BUY IT RIGHT NOW IF YOU OWN A GAMECUBE. Only because there isn't much else available for the system. Seriously, Metriod and Zelda are the only killer games. Next to the many cool games that came out for PS2 and Xbox within the last 3 months Metroid is very bland and repetitive.

As a game in itself it isn't that great. The thing that is really disappointing me about it is it feels like it is picking up right after the first one. That is good from a control aspect but you don't want to see a movie that is exactly the same as the one before it. It is really obvious that it is just a repeat by looking at the enemies. You are on a different plant BUT 90% of the enemies make the same sounds and same battle tactics as the ones from the previous game.
Again there is tons of backtracking and not understanding where you are supposed to go next till that clue pops up.

This sequel also has more puzzles but really only with scanning stuff, the one thing everyone didn't like to do in the first.

The begining of the first one was very cool and retro, this one is totally anti-climatic and starts off slow and boring.

Also the first what should be dramatic cut scene was painful to watch. It was a slideshow! A very N64ish slideshow with subtitles bad music. It didn't set up the history up well at all and after seeing spectacular cut scenes on other systems that draw you in this one really got to me.

Also, I find the darkworld with running from beacon to beacon more annoying then fun.

Well I hope things will pick up but unless they rework much of it and give us something fresh and new I will not be getting the 3rd one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules