Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > US-soldier beaten up at Guantanamo Bay by, eh.., US-soldiers!

US-soldier beaten up at Guantanamo Bay by, eh.., US-soldiers!
Taliesin
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 05:14 AM

Now he sues the Pentagon for 15 million dollars. It all happened in January 2003, when:

Spc. Sean D. Baker, 38, was assaulted in January 2003 after he volunteered to wear an orange jumpsuit and portray an uncooperative detainee. Baker said the MPs, who were told that he was an unruly detainee who had assaulted an American sergeant, inflicted a beating that resulted in a traumatic brain injury.

Later, officials conceded that he was treated for injuries suffered when a five-man MP "internal reaction force" choked him, slammed his head several times against a concrete floor and sprayed him with pepper gas.

As he was being choked and beaten, Baker said, he screamed a code word, "red," and shouted: "I'm a U.S. soldier! I'm a U.S. soldier!" He said the beating continued until the jumpsuit was yanked down during the struggle, revealing his military uniform.
Source: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,1411045.story

In maybe unrelated news, the US is stalling the UN-investigator-visit of Guatanamo Bay-detainees:

Manfred Nowak, the UN's special expert on torture, has been given access to many countries, among them, some with very poor human rights records. He said he had expected more openness from the US

"We are very disappointed that a country that always was very... positive about high human rights standards... and which is also reminding other states that they should actually co-operate fully with the special mechanisms of the UN commission on human rights itself is not living up to these standards," he said.
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4123200.stm

Hmm, I'm wondering why.

Taliesin

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2005, 05:20 AM

hmmmm, what would the best word be for this......... ooooooops!?

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

idjeff
Senior User
Jun 24, 2005, 05:33 AM

umm...what's your point? Does this have something to do with muslim detainees or something?

You gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2005, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by idjeff
umm...what's your point? Does this have something to do with muslim detainees or something?
The US says they treat the prisoners humanely and do not torture them.

Well this shows that they don't treat them humanely and that they do torture them. If this was a detainee we would never have heard about it. Thankfully they messed up so now it's out in the open how they treat the prisoners.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2005, 05:44 AM

You never had those "connect-the-dots" pictures when you were a little child, did you?

Try them.

I recommend you start with something simple, with no more than two or three dots to connect.

idjeff
Senior User
Jun 24, 2005, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
You never had those "connect-the-dots" pictures when you were a little child, did you?

Try them.

I recommend you start with something simple, with no more than two or three dots to connect.
Hmmm....connect...the....dots? Let me think....oh, you mean the dots that explain in the article that he was posing as a detainee who assaulted a prison guard?

Before you try to "high brow" me again, go back and read the whole article before posting mmmkay.

You gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 24, 2005, 06:50 AM

Hmmm....connect...the....dots? Let me think....oh, you mean the dots that explain in the article that he was posing as a detainee who assaulted a prison guard?

Before you try to "high brow" me again, go back and read the whole article before posting mmmkay.
Really, some people in here are getting awfully pathetic with their desperate attempt at trying to project anything else into this story than what it is.

"sniff* yup that's desperation.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2005, 07:57 AM

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 11:19 AM

15 mil!! wow! How do I enlist?

Forum Links
Forum Rules