Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Need help on a paper about Apple Computer Inc

Need help on a paper about Apple Computer Inc
prakash
Apr 3, 2005, 09:49 PM

Hello Mac users

I am a windows user,but trying to make a switch.I selected Apple Computer Inc as the subject for presenting a paper on Global IT stratagies.It would be really helpful if you can post some links /give me directions to help me with the paper.

Areas I need to know..

1.Does Apple actually create the whole product or it creates software and makes companies like IBM and other companies to supply it with certain parts.Does Apple do only the creative design and the software.?

2.Some links on Internal IT infrastructure in Apple?

3.Some link about Apple strategy?

I know there are many die hard apple fans here,I felt this was the best place in the world to ask for some help.

You can also email any relevant material for my research at [email link removed: you're in school, you need to learn to do your own research!-- tooki]

Thanks

Prakash
( Last edited by tooki; Apr 5, 2005 at 02:47 AM. )

historylme
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2005, 10:31 PM

Good luck,

What has been your research so far? Books or web sites?

That way, we don't repeat ourselves. Like the obvious, www.apple.com

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 02:20 AM

iCol
Senior User
Apr 4, 2005, 06:47 AM

There are a few good books out there, the best has to be:

Apple Confidential 2.0: The definitve history of the World's most colourful comanpy

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...088298-8095214

Apple's R&D unit designs the computers, Apple branded peripherals, and consumer electronic products. Parts are outsourced from a number of different companies, though often made to Apple's specifications. Computers are then assembled either by Apple (in the US, and Cork, Ireland) or by contractors (China, et al). I beleive it is only the Power Mac line that is still assembled by Apple themselves, and this isn't true in all cases.

IBM manufactures the G5 class processor, while Motorola (now Freescale) manufactures the G4. This is part of the AIM alliance (Apple, IBM and Motorola) who have worked together to design these processors. However, it is likely that it was Apple and IBM who exclusively teamed up to design the G5 class chip, which is based on an IBM server class chip called the Power4.

Apple writes most of its own software, but has been known to buy software from other developers and re-brand it as Apple, usually after the software has been modified and given Apple's distinctive 'look and feel'.

Mac OS X itself was not a completely in house effort. Apple aquired NeXT in 1997, who had built an OS called NeXTStep, an object orientated operating system based on Unix. Apple took NeXTStep, and made it into Mac OS X. This is how Steve Jobs, Apple's co-founder and current CEO, came back to the company. Jobs quit Apple in 1985 and formed NeXT, so when Apple bought NeXT in '97 Jobs returned in an advisor role, then interim-CEO, and now CEO.

Apple uses other companies technologies within it's software products, such as OpenGL in Mac OS X, Adobe PDF, etc. Though Mac OS X is not an open standard, it's BSD core, Darwin, is.

Col
F is for Fooyork.

prakash  (op)
Apr 4, 2005, 12:04 PM

Thanks a lot for the help.Your writeup was very helpful and thanks again for the links.

My paper has got reading a lot of material about Apple its TCO etc.I was surprised I didnot know much of these being a computer science student.

I am from India and there is not much exposure of Apple there,I thought Apple was a computer to run graphic applications.Apple should provide some computers to some educational institutions in India so that students are aware and get to use an alternate OS.

After coming to US ,me and many of my friends are really tempted to goin for the powerbook.I wish many corporate applications are available for Apple soon,Apple with its Unix base is something great.I an taking a mini mac home when I go for the holidays.

Thanks

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 4, 2005, 12:09 PM

Go to a Library.

If you said what? to my suggestion.

Answer: It's a big building with books in it, but that is beside the point.

-

I have nothing else to add, as those who have posted before me have given
you all the information you'll need to write a great paper. Good Luck!

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2005, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by prakash:
Hello Mac users.... [email protected]
Are you an Aggie?

hayesk
Apr 4, 2005, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by prakash:

2.Some links on Internal IT infrastructure in Apple?
I think there was a thread here posted about six months ago about a really good article describing this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules