Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [Announcement] MacThemer Now Open!

[Announcement] MacThemer Now Open!
EllMUK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2004, 02:18 PM

That's right, MacThemer is now finally open, complete with a new logo and several different flavour skins to choose from. Thanks for bearing with us during the construction phase and we hope we can build a large and thriving community over at MacThemer like the one that has been established here. Anyway, get over there and get posting!

MacThemer
( Last edited by EllMUK; Jan 1, 2005 at 06:49 PM. )

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 02:22 PM

Woo Hoo! Celebrate!

Dave-o�
Senior User
Dec 31, 2004, 09:03 PM

Congrate!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2005, 09:43 AM

Congrats and good luck

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2005, 12:17 PM

You should have the front page linking to the forums now

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2005, 12:46 PM

Im nervous that you have too many forums to start with, and that you are going to suffer from DFS (dead forum syndrome). Even Macnn would have trouble making that many gui forums look active.

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2005, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by EllMUK:
That's right, MacThemer is now finally open, complete with a new logo and several different flavour skins to choose from. Thanks for bearing with us during the construction phase and we hope we can build a large and thriving community over at MacThemer like the one that has been established here. Anyway, get over there and get posting!

MacThemer
So let me get this straight... you built a GUI web site that is nothing more than a convoluted MacNN GUI forum??? I go to Macthemer.com and get a coming soon graphic, if I go to the link you provided (with MT) at the end, all I see is a forum.

I don't get it.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

RimshotDesign
Jan 1, 2005, 01:42 PM

WoW GReat news

chezpaul
Senior User
Jan 1, 2005, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Weezer:
Im nervous that you have too many forums to start with, and that you are going to suffer from DFS (dead forum syndrome). Even Macnn would have trouble making that many gui forums look active.

Same thought here. I'll predict right now that it won't work. There are too many places to go to. At least at Macnn I have one place to go in order to check it all out. I don't have time to open up every single subject. Then again as in most forums, everyone will post in one subject I guess. Doesn't look good for now.
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

chezpaul
Senior User
Jan 1, 2005, 03:40 PM

[Double Post]
I guess +1

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2005, 06:41 PM

MT has great potential. and with more pc gui custo switchers on the way, those forums can be a real asset. the ONE forum at macnn might get real crowded real soon, who knows. give the new place chance and don't post crap like... USELESS, WASTE, REDUNDANT, etc.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

EllMUK  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2005, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by MacDog:
So let me get this straight... you built a GUI web site that is nothing more than a convoluted MacNN GUI forum??? I go to Macthemer.com and get a coming soon graphic, if I go to the link you provided (with MT) at the end, all I see is a forum.

I don't get it.
MacThemer was never planned to be a gui web site and I always set out to build GUI forums. If you followed the MacNN thread a little further down the page and read the first thread, it clearly stated this. MacThemer is about creating and developing a GUI community, allowing people to post their opinions etc. Basically we have extended the MacNN GUI forums to allow a wider range of discussion, as I personally felt that one forums with a load of wide reaching topics was not enough to sustain the mac gui community.

chezpaul
Senior User
Jan 1, 2005, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Ji Eun:
USELESS, WASTE, REDUNDANT, etc.
One can have his or her opinion, that's what forums are all about. So let people say what they think of this new forum. As long as you stay polite of course.

Keep in mind that Macthemer's publicity campaign is kinda as if Coke went to the Pepsi headquarters and told everyone there that they had this new greater drink soon to be available. Not only that but they have all these flavors too, 20 of them. Don't you think the Pepsi people would say hey.. flock away...

Oh and the site is down...

acronym16
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2005, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by chezpaul:
One can have his or her opinion, that's what forums are all about. So let people say what they think of this new forum. As long as you stay polite of course.

Keep in mind that Macthemer's publicity campaign is kinda as if Coke went to the Pepsi headquarters and told everyone there that they had this new greater drink soon to be available. Not only that but they have all these flavors too, 20 of them. Don't you think the Pepsi people would say hey.. flock away...

Oh and the site is down...
first off, ummmmmm how else are people going to find out about it unless we tell people who we know will be interested?

Secondly the board is now back up and now powered by invision powerboard

But at a slightly differnt site Mac Themer

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2005, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by acronym16:
Secondly the board is now back up and now powered by invision powerboard

But at a slightly differnt site Mac Themer
Way to go...erased all previous posts....not good start.

*edit* and user accounts have been erased..at least not imported, i.e. I can't log-in with my established user/pass

DigiHal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2005, 09:38 PM

The board reboot is really going to hurt you. Especially after you formally announced it.

Gah!

acronym16
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2005, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by digitaljames:

*edit* and user accounts have been erased..at least not imported, i.e. I can't log-in with my established user/pass
Elliot informed me he planned to do an import as soon as possible
( Last edited by acronym16; Jan 2, 2005 at 09:32 AM. )

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 1, 2005, 11:35 PM

The new forum is quite a bit uglier than the original. Why the switch?

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

acronym16
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2005, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
The new forum is quite a bit uglier than the original. Why the switch?
It runs on invision powerboard which works alot better and you can do alot more with, we are going to use the old layout style but it is still being converted, I was told it would be up by the end of the week

chezpaul
Senior User
Jan 2, 2005, 02:21 AM

Originally posted by acronym16:
Elliot informed me he planned to do an important as soon as possible
Can I do an important too ?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2005, 09:39 AM

You shouldn't do an announcement while your still mucking with the software, especially changing it in mid stream like that.

I'm no expert and I truly hope you succeed, but you need a stable foundation to begin with.

EllMUK  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2005, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by digitaljames:

I understand your annoyance but it really did have to be done due to the limitations that PHPBB had. Your account should already be set up and the default password is macthemer. That should help. As for posts, luckily I deleted the old boards at a time when there weren't many posts. Any later and I feel the forums really would have been ruined.

Swiz: A new skin is currently in development and should be fitted by Friday :-)

I do apologise for the forum upgrade, but it had to be done. To not have subforums, a basic feature in all forums is a joke and was sorely missed. The fact that I plan to pay for the full version of IB shows how committed I am to these forums and to the members.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 01:56 PM

I guess it's a bit too late, but I did hear that there is a 2.2 PB of PHPBB that includes support for subforums, and you can currently use a mod:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=153335

Does Invision have other benefits?

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2005, 02:27 PM

woa what the hell happened it's butt ugly now. Get that old one back

acronym16
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2005, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
I guess it's a bit too late, but I did hear that there is a 2.2 PB of PHPBB that includes support for subforums, and you can currently use a mod:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=153335

Does Invision have other benefits?
Most of the benefits you won't see and are to do with moderateing, layout etc The old skin will be applied to the the new version as soon as it has been converted.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 05:27 PM

acronym16 your sig is too big

acronym16
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2005, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
acronym16 your sig is too big
?????????? same size as the last one and alot smaller than the one before that.

ambush
Banned
Jan 2, 2005, 06:30 PM

Recommended read: MacNN sig. guidelines.

acronym16
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2005, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Recommended read: MacNN sig. guidelines.
Happy now?

chezpaul
Senior User
Jan 3, 2005, 02:54 AM

acronym, your sig is too blue now....

Komisar
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 03:38 AM

It was fun at macnn when it lasted ... My new macnn will be macthemes... peace macnn it was fun!

EllMUK  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2005, 06:41 AM

Just to let you all know that the MacThemer DOTM competition has now started. The rules are pretty simple, one desktop per person and no PS edited screenshots. The competition closes on 20th January, when all MT staff members will vote on whose desktop they think looks/feels the best!
The winner will get a copy of Deskshade, Konfabulator and Rise of Nations Gold. Thats around $100 worth of prizes and all you have to do to stand a chance of winning is enter your desktop for FREE. So get entering.

P.S. Good luck philryu...hope it all works out over at Mac Themes.

acronym16
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2005, 10:21 AM

acronym, your sig is too blue now....
*hits chezpaul with a small wafer biscuit untill he turns wafer coloured and has to go to the hospital with wafer poisoning* (could be here for a while then)

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2005, 02:00 PM

Not sound too negative, but there's seems to a lot of forums, wouldn't it better to have a condensed set and if you grow you can expand. You'd be better apt to gain some critical mass that way.

I went to the GUI Customization Discussion and that forum and its sub forums. to be honest there's a lot of navigation to view a few threads.

I used to visit a G5 forum that had a gazillion forums, and to be honest the only discussion going on was in the "reception area"

Mike

EllMUK  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2005, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Not sound too negative, but there's seems to a lot of forums, wouldn't it better to have a condensed set and if you grow you can expand. You'd be better apt to gain some critical mass that way.

I went to the GUI Customization Discussion and that forum and its sub forums. to be honest there's a lot of navigation to view a few threads.

I used to visit a G5 forum that had a gazillion forums, and to be honest the only discussion going on was in the "reception area"

Mike
I'm sure you'll find that the forums are now a lot more condensed . Also get posting your DOTM screenshots, the closing date is the 20th January!

chezpaul
Senior User
Jan 3, 2005, 07:39 PM

If Komisar is gone, can I say bad things about him ??

PS: Komisar, your message count is 1242...

Komisar
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 09:26 PM

If Komisar is gone, can I say bad things about him ??

PS: Komisar, your message count is 1242...
now its 1243 I intend only to post updates about the switchboard in this forum now this name gets retired at 1337.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 09:51 PM

Just to let you all know that the MacThemer DOTM competition has now started. The rules are pretty simple, one desktop per person and no PS edited screenshots. The competition closes on 20th January, when all MT staff members will vote on whose desktop they think looks/feels the best!
The winner will get a copy of Deskshade, Konfabulator and Rise of Nations Gold. Thats around $100 worth of prizes and all you have to do to stand a chance of winning is enter your desktop for FREE. So get entering.

P.S. Good luck philryu...hope it all works out over at Mac Themes.
Thanks, and good luck to you too. You are obviously committed in both time and money to your site, hope things go well.

chezpaul
Senior User
Jan 4, 2005, 12:33 AM

I think Macthemes is doing much better...
195 registered users versus 39
515 posts versus 49...

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2005, 12:44 AM

I think Macthemes is doing much better...
195 registered users versus 39
515 posts versus 49...
yeah because 'better' = more popular. god man, the brilliance is nearly blinding.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Komisar
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2005, 01:09 AM

I really appreciate what you guys are/where ttrying to do... Maybe the gui world isn't ready for a site like this yet.

chezpaul
Senior User
Jan 4, 2005, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by Ji Eun:
yeah because 'better' = more popular. god man, the brilliance is nearly blinding.
Before you go off next time, "doing much better" doesn't mean "better", last I checked.

Even though I do think Macthemes is better, that's not what I said. Next time, please take the time to read "better".

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2005, 02:09 AM

I don't understand the need to have so many forums. The one here can get muddled but it's still solid. And macthemer seems a little less polished and established right now.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2005, 02:39 PM

Since Mac themeing is still a rather small specialty interest, I really do doubt there is a lot of room for more than one or two community sites. I think I'll hang around here as long as there's any activity, and I'll make MacThemes forum my new default since it's already got the biggest popularity base from it's site alone.
click one

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2005, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
I really appreciate what you guys are/where ttrying to do... Maybe the gui world isn't ready for a site like this yet.
I don't know if that's the case, I just think that with MacThemes already having a "Theming Only" type of forum, there simply isn't a NEED for another one outside of the MacNN GUI forum. The two are quite frankly, plenty enough for the platform. I mean, it's not like Windows where you have dozens of apps for theming, plus tons of apps to actually create the themes, and millions upon millions of people doing it.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2005, 03:28 PM

Not to mention that if you're going to have a "themes-related" site, it should look great (like Macthemes.com does)... the standard forum software template is fugly and a complete turn-off.

EllMUK  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2005, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by MacDog:
Not to mention that if you're going to have a "themes-related" site, it should look great (like Macthemes.com does)... the standard forum software template is fugly and a complete turn-off.
I must say that after reading all these posts, I'm finding the MacNN forums a complete turn-off! The fact that I have put so many hours of time and work into this and over $100 just on DOTM prizes alone, suggests that I am serious about MacThemer. I set up MT NOT TO RIVAL MACTHEMES but so that gui customization posts could be more easily organised, so that people could find all the released themes easily, or the mockups just by visiting one forum. I thought this would be easier for people instead of having JUST ONE FORUM where things can tend to become a bit muddled. Oh and MacNN is by far the most beautiful forum I've every seen...I mean the blue and yellow is just so appealing!
The MT skin is only up until Friday, then thanks to the money I'm injecting into the site, a brand new skin is going up!
I can see now why certain people despise these forums...some members are total jerks. While others support the site and aid it by suggesting a direction we go it, others just insult and comment on the ugliness, the amount of forums etc. Hey, how about some constructive criticism! I'm not asking everyone to support this site, I just want to further develop the community by "organising" it and giving people a louder voice. Some of you must get fed up just being able to post in one forum here!
So please, stop the slating, sign up to the site, post your screenshots, post some constructive topics/criticism. MT could be something, unfortunately certain individuals don't want it to be.

pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2005, 06:37 PM

Yep, if you don't like it, shut up. Of course most of you will visit Mac Themes Forums more than MacThemer b/c they are famous and have been around a while, MacThemer is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT idea, so please- stop the flaming.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2005, 08:18 PM

others just insult and comment on the ugliness, the amount of forums etc. Hey, how about some constructive criticism!
I believe you got some constructive criticism... you just don't want to hear it. Too many forums, no content, repetitive idea overall, forum skin is blah. You have to take it for what it's worth. There are two VERY POPULAR AND ESTABLISHED sites that you are going to have to compete with (even if you like to think that your site isn't the same as MacNN and MacThemes, not to mention FunMac forums).

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2005, 09:44 AM

the internet waits for no man, man. yup, i'd pack it in at this point :-/

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules