Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > recover photos after ios5 upgrade

recover photos after ios5 upgrade
500px
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2011, 11:49 AM

I have iphone 3gs. Yesterday I have done upgarde to ios5 using the iTunes on Windows XP.

After upgrade I see the 'configure' option on iphone and the iTunes shows the space used by photos as 0. I have about 900 photos in the iphone.

How can I recover the photos? Never synced the photos to the 'My pictures'

---------
Looked at the C:/Documents & Settings/User%/Application Data/ Apple Computer/backup and the folder size is 1.2 Gb.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2011, 12:40 PM

I take it there is no need to lecture you about not syncing your photos back to your computer now?

You might consider restoring the phone again and choosing 'Restore from backup' instead of 'Set up as new phone' when it gives you the option.
Or you could try something like this:

Reincubate: Labs: Backup Extractor for iPhone: extract and restore files from an iPhone backup on Windows, Linux and OS X

I have no idea how well it works.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cold Warrior
Oct 16, 2011, 12:48 PM

On the iPhone choose Erase All and when done connect to iTunes. Choose to restore from backup.

500px  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2011, 04:38 PM

thank you for your response - Waragainstsleep.

Looks like photos are not usually part of backup and thus extracting them from the backup does not help me.

I have tried 'restore' option anyways, but it gave me about 216 errors - with an error for each object sync-failure. Looks like restore is not going to work either.

To me, it seems as if last option is to recover data from the iphone disk, just like you would recover deleted files or a formatted hard-disk.

Looking at a few servcie providers, but they are very expensive.

Can you think of any inexpensive tools that will help me or any other strategy?
---------

Forum Links
Forum Rules