Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Time to be proud of Canada!

Time to be proud of Canada!
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2010, 04:34 PM

I'm constantly learning about new Canadian talent. It's amazing how well a country of 35 million does in producing wonderful talent. Yes, it is true that many move to the US to realize the greatest commercial success, but it still is pretty remarkable how well Canada does in raising great comedians, actors, musicians, and other artists, and of course athletes.

I just learned that Michael Buble and Nathan Fillion are Canadian, I dig them both. Ditto for Michael J. Fox, Neil Young, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, William Shatner, several guys from Battlestar Galactica, all of the Toronto-based Second City dudes (john Candy, Eugene Levy, et all), etc.

I'm also proud of how well our athletes did this winter games, and how cool the opening and closing ceremonies looked, as well as the shots of Vancouver which is considered by many one of the best places in the world to live in terms of its quality of life. I've never been to Vancouver (although I'd like to go some day), but during the olympic footage that was shot I was trying to recognize parts of the city from various movies and TV shows such as Battlestar Galactica and the X-Files. Perhaps Vancouver is also Hollywood sci-fi movie headquarters as well?

Surprise me with stuff about Canada I don't know about, let's have a big patriotic Canadian orgy!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2010, 04:36 PM

Countdown to some PL denizen trying to take the wind out of besson's sails in 3... 2... 1...

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2010, 04:40 PM

I'm sorry, the closing ceremonies were ridiculous. Dancing mounties? A giant beaver? It was a smörgåsbord of Canadian stereotypes. Most of the Canadians I know were a little embarrassed. I liked the opening ceremonies, though.

As you can probably tell, I am a huge fan of the excellent Canadian comedy troupe The Kids in the Hall, though.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2010, 05:02 PM

It's a shame that there are no combined comedy and sports events, say downhill standup skiing.

The closing ceremonies had me for the first few minutes - with the repair clown fixing the broken torch thing. But I fell asleep soon after, all olympiced out. Like Fire Island after Labor day - over!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2010, 05:10 PM

I thought Vancouver did an excellent job hosting. The weather issues were really tough to maintain a consistent field of competition.
Closing Ceremony did seem a little too comical. I thought the opening skit with the torch was fun, but the Mounties seemed a little over the top IMO. The DW actually got up and left the room.

Well done.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2010, 05:12 PM

Dead Wife?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2010, 05:17 PM

All I could come up with was "damn wife".

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I just learned that Michael Buble and Nathan Fillion are Canadian, I dig them both. Ditto for Michael J. Fox, Neil Young, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, William Shatner, several guys from Battlestar Galactica, all of the Toronto-based Second City dudes (john Candy, Eugene Levy, et all), etc.
You guys can have Celine Dion (again) though.

Surprise me with stuff about Canada I don't know about, let's have a big patriotic Canadian orgy!
Canada has created nanotechnology spy coins.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2010, 05:25 PM

DW= Designated Writer?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2010, 05:33 PM

I dropped acid and the closing was totally awesome
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

dzp111
Senior User
Mar 2, 2010, 05:34 PM

(Canadian here)

I thought the opening ceremony was awesome. The closing one was a tad embarrassing. The dancing mounties and the flying animals was plain weird. Apparently it was meant to convey that with all the Canadian stereotyping we can laugh at ourselves in a good-natured way. I just think that doing this at the Olympics however was a bad venue for it.

Aside from that, our athletes did us very proud. Being a hockey fan, that last game will be memorable for a very long time, not because we won, but because we didn't lose.

: )

To add to your list of Canadian artists besson3, if I may.

Just to name a few...

Musical artists:
Bryan Adams
Paul Anka
Liona Boyd
Burton Cummings
Céline Dion
Nelly Furtado
Barenaked Ladies
Paul Shaffer (David Letterman's music director)
Michelle Wright
Crash Test Dummies
April Wine
Etc...

Dan Akroid
Alec Trebec
And one of my personal favourites: Amanda Tapping (Samantha Carter in Stargate)
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by dzp111 View Post
And one of my personal favourites: Amanda Tapping (Samantha Carter in Stargate)
Well, about 95% of that show is Canadian anyway. Plus sometimes you have Macgyver doing Canadian impersonations.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2010, 05:48 PM

You know I liked the closing stuff. Except until it got to the Canadian musicians, which were completely embarrassing. Nickelback were surprisingly good, but other than Alanis and K-Os it was... turrible.

greg

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
You know I liked the closing stuff. Except until it got to the Canadian musicians, which were completely embarrassing. Nickelback were surprisingly good, but other than Alanis and K-Os it was... turrible.

greg

And Buble... That guy has some talent.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Mar 2, 2010, 05:53 PM

When I saw the big Beaver and the Mounties, I too felt pretty embarrassed and insulted.
Anytime I speak to europeans, all they want to know about Canada is Moose, Caribou and Beavers...I mean, PLEASE!!!! What nothing about f$cken igloos?
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2010, 05:57 PM

I'm pretty fond of our northern neighbors, but do you guys really want to keep touting Celine Dion?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm pretty fond of our northern neighbors, but do you guys really want to keep touting Celine Dion?
No. I wish she'd stay in Vegas permanently.

Given that I don't like her stuff much, I'm shocked at just how much money she makes. Then again, I don't like Oprah much either, and I'm shocked at just how much money she makes too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2010, 06:01 PM

Women have no taste.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2010, 06:02 PM

Taste like chicken, from what I gather.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 2, 2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Taste like chicken, from what I gather.
Oh, I thought it was fish.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
She was not at the olympics.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2010, 06:40 PM

Are you sure? Didn't she score that winning goal in the hockey final?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2010, 06:43 PM

Speaking of women: List of Best Canadian Actresses

I'll never understand why Pamela Anderson remains on any list of beautiful Canadians. Every woman on these lists is better looking than her, and I could name another dozen or so Canuck beauties without a problem. Pam is a fake-looking plastic surgery freak.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Dead Wife?
DW=Dear Wife.
Sun Tzu

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post

I'll never understand why Pamela Anderson remains on any list of beautiful Canadians. Every woman on these lists is better looking than her, and I could name another dozen or so Canuck beauties without a problem. Pam is a fake-looking plastic surgery freak.
What do you think is going to happen now that she is on the new season of Dancing with the Stars? Those Cheek Implants could move ya know.
Sun Tzu

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2010, 07:37 PM

Neil Young woohoo!!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post

Maybe it's just because she frequently takes her clothes off and has sex with people?

dzp111
Senior User
Mar 2, 2010, 10:53 PM

Every single musician and musical group were lip/playing sync. They had to. Not a problem. But Buble made it so obvious that it was quasi embarrassing.

Probably his first time.

Still, kudos to all those who produced all of it.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2010, 10:56 PM

Every single musician and musical group were lip/playing sync. They had to.
What?

No they weren't. The musical groups were live.

Bublé was a slightly different situation - he was part of the actual show, not just a musical act by himself.

greg

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I'm sorry, the closing ceremonies were ridiculous. Dancing mounties? A giant beaver? It was a smörgåsbord of Canadian stereotypes.
It was *supposed* to be a ridiculous smörgåsbord of Canadian stereotypes.

I was quite pleased with the revised Mountie uniforms worn by Buble's backup singers!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2010, 11:15 PM

Don't forget all of the Avro engineers who went on to senior positions in NASA.
Avro Employees and NASA

dzp111
Senior User
Mar 2, 2010, 11:16 PM

Shortcut?

You're naive if you think that the musical performances were live. Not that there's anything wrong with that, especially in this type of venue. Things can go wrong, easily. I'm not demeaning the artists, I'm just saying that Buble did a bad job at it.

In fact, the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra refused to 'pretend' to play the anthem prior to the ceremonies.

If you get the chance, watch Buble sing, it doesn't sinc at all. Lip-sincking's an art.

Anyway, no harm done. But as a musician myself, it was somewhat fairly degrading.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 3, 2010, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by JellyBeen View Post
I mean, PLEASE!!!! What nothing about f$cken igloos?
Everyone knows that all the igloos are in Alaska!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2010, 12:28 AM

Shortcut?

You're naive if you think that the musical performances were live. Not that there's anything wrong with that, especially in this type of venue. Things can go wrong, easily. I'm not demeaning the artists, I'm just saying that Buble did a bad job at it.

In fact, the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra refused to 'pretend' to play the anthem prior to the ceremonies.

If you get the chance, watch Buble sing, it doesn't sinc at all. Lip-sincking's an art.

Anyway, no harm done. But as a musician myself, it was somewhat fairly degrading.

You're mistaken.

I clearly said that Bublé was part of the "act." The "show." He wasn't live.

The musicians were, though. Did you even watch it?

greg

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2010, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
It was *supposed* to be a ridiculous smörgåsbord of Canadian stereotypes.
Err, yeah, I got that. Doesn't make it funny, though.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Mar 3, 2010 at 10:22 AM. )

dzp111
Senior User
Mar 3, 2010, 12:51 AM

You're mistaken.

I clearly said that Bublé was part of the "act." The "show." He wasn't live.

The musicians were, though. Did you even watch it? :confused
Greg, of course I watched it. In fact I was glued. I agree with the "acting" part, but I'm just saying that none of the artists were singing for real. And as I've I said, there's nothing wrong with that in that kind of venue. And as for the musicians, yes they were playing, but without microphones. And when an orchestra plays for an 80,000+ crowd, you won't hear them anyway.

It's no big deal. I'm sorry I made a big deal out of it. But I stand my ground, Bublé screwed his act.

I still like and appreciate the guy, but he just can't lip-sinc. And why should he? He doesn't know how to fake things. Kudos to him.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2010, 12:58 AM

Dzp is probably right. If it were a live recording the sound being fed to the TV broadcast would probably be a pickup of the main sound, and we'd hear imbalances, imperfections, problems passing off the baton between bands, etc. You can't put all of these bands back to back to back and not expect some of this. What we heard was album quality, which makes me think that it was probably pre-recorded.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2010, 01:21 AM

F*** canada

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2010, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
F*** canada
I told Canada not to sleep with your wife, but Canada said "I really want to sleep with ort888's wife, so f*** ort"

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2010, 02:19 AM

What?? You guys are deaf.

The bands were live. Weren't you guys listening? None of them are "perfect." Listen to Avril's performance - she's not spot-on. Listen to the backup singer in Simple Plan. Listen to K-Os rapping. If they were lip-syncing wouldn't you think they'd be putting on perfect performances? I have it DVRed, and I can assure you they're not flawless at all.

And listen to the guy in Hedley talking to the crowd at different points. Are you saying they were switching their mics on and off depending on when they wanted to say something to the crowd?

greg

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2010, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I'm sorry, the closing ceremonies were ridiculous. Dancing mounties? A giant beaver? It was a smörgåsbord of Canadian stereotypes. Most of the Canadians I know were a little embarrassed. I liked the opening ceremonies, though.
*WHOOSH*
I'm sorry to hear that most of the Canadians you know are either living in an old folks home or are recent immigrants from Britain from high society because most Canadians probably thought of it as corny fun. I'm sure our Prime Minister thought it was hilarious.

You do realize that we were deliberating making fun of the stereotypes non-Canadians have of Canada don't you?

One of the defining attributes of Canadians is that we can laugh at ourselves and even make fun of ourselves for the sake of a joke. Most of the "Canada" jokes you see on American television are written by Canadians living in the US.

Dude, you need a humour transplant. Did you break your funny bone?

@ShortcutToMoncton: I think I speak for people who were there when I say. Care factor zero. It was a party atmosphere, not an episode of Canadian Idol.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2010, 02:29 AM

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2010, 02:45 AM

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2010, 02:54 AM

Harry Crumb and Delirious are available on Hulu now, if anybody cares...

I'm enjoying the new movies Hulu section.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Dude, you need a humour transplant. Did you break your funny bone?
No.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2010, 10:45 AM

The true question is : if it came down to Nickelback and a pickle, which would you pick?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2010, 11:59 AM

( Last edited by ShortcutToMoncton; Mar 3, 2010 at 12:13 PM. )

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2010, 12:37 PM

(Worth noting that, to my knowledge, Sesyle Joslin is not Canadian.)

hayesk
Mar 4, 2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
You guys can have Celine Dion.
Yeah, but she's a separatist so she doesn't count.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2010, 12:58 PM

Are you saying they were switching their mics on and off depending on when they wanted to say something to the crowd?
I didn't watch the ceremony, so I can't speak for that, but yes, that is exactly what is usually done.

Depending on the capabilities of the performer, it won't be just for announcements, though - often, the sound guy will ride the volumes and switch between playback and live as the performance wobbles (difficult passages or strenuous dance steps).

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2010, 04:00 PM

Yeah, we that's my issue: these were the biggest "pop rock" hits by a few (shitty!) Canadian bands. Avril Lavigne, Hedley, Simple Plan, that sort of thing. These were their hits that they've been playing for years; they could probably play them in their sleep. It's not like they have accompanying dance moves or whatever to perform; why would they make them lip-sync now? It's not like the case of Michael Bublé, who wasn't actually performing on his own but was part of the "ceremony show" - it makes sense to have him lip-sync in that case.

I dunno, it doesn't really matter, but I'm just slightly annoyed that people are claiming it was all lip-synced when I just don't see the evidence for that.

Here, you take a look (obviously it's better on my DVR):

Avril Lavigne live at closing ceremony

greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules