Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Temporary fix to " Free" ram in OSX

Temporary fix to " Free" ram in OSX
JellyBeen
Senior User
Dec 11, 2001, 04:37 PM

I was playing around as usual opening apps and closing them while listening to streaming in iTunes....
I have MEMORY MONITOR installed in the Dock. I glance over it and see I have practically used up all my free Ram. This usually happens after a whole day with it on and using it. A restart always brings your free memory back to normal.
Here is where it gets interesting..
I decide to open Macjanitor and run it. Meanwhile I'm looking at MM in the dock.
Nothing happens at first as the daily script runs..so I clear it and goto WEEKLY.
Wow, almost imediatly I see the free memory start climbing from 50 megs to 435megs!!!! Just by running the script!!
What I had to restart to accomplish before I can get the same just by running the weekly script.
By the way I run the script manually about once a week.
Please comment on this.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: JellyBeen ]
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

JellyBeen  (op)
Senior User
Dec 11, 2001, 05:57 PM

just bringing it to the top..
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

Hes Nikke
Dec 11, 2001, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by JellyBeen:
<STRONG>I was playing around as usual opening apps and closing them while listening to streaming in iTunes....
I have MEMORY MONITOR installed in the Dock. I glance over it and see I have practically used up all my free Ram. This usually happens after a whole day with it on and using it. A restart always brings your free memory back to normal.
Here is where it gets interesting..
I decide to open Macjanitor and run it. Meanwhile I'm looking at MM in the dock.
Nothing happens at first as the daily script runs..so I clear it and goto WEEKLY.
Wow, almost imediatly I see the free memory start climbing from 50 megs to 435megs!!!! Just by running the script!!
What I had to restart to accomplish before I can get the same just by running the weekly script.
By the way I run the script manually about once a week.
Please comment on this.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: JellyBeen ]</STRONG>
my memory usage didn't change, but it is good to know that these tasks should be run!
iMac, uMac, we all Mac for eMac!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2001, 06:37 PM

So what is going on exactly?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

brachiator
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 08:43 PM

Isn't it possible that the week's worth of log files & etc. are all paged out in VM, and the housekeeping scripts clear them out as they are archived?
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

bmedina
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 09:39 PM

Why would you want to "free" memory again? That's what the kernel's memory management is for.

benh57
Senior User
Dec 11, 2001, 09:45 PM

You DONT want 'free' RAM. 'Free' RAM is wasted RAM that could have cached apps / libraries in it. The more RAM used, the better. The system attempts to use exactly 100% of your RAM, no more. That is the BSD model.

OSX loads stuff into RAM and does not load it out until the space is needed by something else.

-Ben
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2001, 09:56 PM

I wanted to second (third) the two previous posts. The system will make use of all of the memory that you make available to it. BSD does this. Linux does this. It's normal, and it's good.

robotmarkVIII
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2001, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by brachiator:
<STRONG>Isn't it possible that the week's worth of log files & etc. are all paged out in VM, and the housekeeping scripts clear them out as they are archived?</STRONG>
Those /etc/daily and weekly scripts don't seem to do much that affect system performance in a noticable way. They are needed to keep certain things organized, and logfiles from possibly getting too big, but I don't see anything that removes scripts from the VM

Detrius
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2001, 01:22 AM

I agree with the above posts. Free RAM is wasted RAM. Your RAM is MUCH faster than your hard drive. If you have free RAM, why not just cache the frequently accessed stuff on the hard drive to the remainder of the RAM, or some other efficient use of that RAM.

Why, for example, would you want a gig of RAM if you expect three quarters of it to be available? If that's the situation you expect, why not just stick with 256 MB of RAM? Then you'll have 256 MB used--exactly what you were expecting. Unlike other systems, on OS X, more RAM=faster computer. You can never have too much RAM.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2001, 04:45 AM

has any body noticed that if you do a search with the find command in the terminal that some of your ram will be freed up? wierd...
3R1C

Forum Links
Forum Rules