Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Experimental Aircraft Association

Experimental Aircraft Association
iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2006, 09:51 AM

I haven't ever seen this brought up here, so I'll post the link.
http://www.eaa.org/
All of you that dream of flying cars or flying a plane on a budget, this is the place to go. I almost guarantee you have a chapter near you. Even if you're not a pilot, they'll welcome you. Most would probably offer to take you up for a ride.

These are people that build airplanes from kits or plans. If you don't know anyone with a metal lathe in their garage, these people might have one. I haven't been a member in almost a decade, but some of the most amazing people are members in the community. They also have awesome airshows like Oshkosh and Sun'n'Fun.

When I was going through jr. high and high school, I helped my neighbor build a Raven (Kitfox from plans) and he was one of those engineer people that could actually design and fabricate something without a committee or plans. It was one of the coolest things I've ever been a part of. Unfortunately, I left for college before he finished and my parents then moved, but I know he's been flying it since I left.

I just thought some of you might enjoy what could be found there and would like to see some pics from any EAA members, as I know we have quite a few pilots here.

*edit: also AOPA is another good resource for any of you potential flyers http://www.aopa.org/

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer
All of you that dream of flying cars or flying a plane on a budget, this is the place to go. I almost guarantee you have a chapter near you. Even if you're not a pilot, they'll welcome you. Most would probably offer to take you up for a ride.

These are people that build airplanes from kits or plans. If you don't know anyone with a metal lathe in their garage, these people might have one. I haven't been a member in almost a decade, but some of the most amazing people are members in the community. They also have awesome airshows like Oshkosh and Sun'n'Fun.

When I was going through jr. high and high school, I helped my neighbor build a Raven (Kitfox from plans) and he was one of those engineer people that could actually design and fabricate something without a committee or plans. It was one of the coolest things I've ever been a part of. Unfortunately, I left for college before he finished and my parents then moved, but I know he's been flying it since I left.

I just thought some of you might enjoy what could be found there and would like to see some pics from any EAA members, as I know we have quite a few pilots here.

*edit: also AOPA is another good resource for any of you potential flyers http://www.aopa.org/
Wow! Somehow I missed your thread and it ALMOST went to Page two.

What do you know about ultralights, paragliders and such? For a PPG how much cleared space will suffice MINIMUM for t/o and landings. The Google Vids show sometimes a few steps and the guy is airborn. But realistically there are times when the winds and humidity and such would make a steep ascent unlikely, so if one were looking for a plot of land to regularly do one's flying from, a regular runway for g/a wouldn't be necessary, but I don't think I'd do it from my backyard (even if that were allowed).

Any thoughts on minimum size and configuration for a decent flying spot for Powered Paragliding?

( Last edited by abe; Mar 31, 2006 at 08:31 AM. )
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2006, 10:16 PM

I don't have any experience with powered paragliding, but I've seen it done a lot. If you don't have trees or powerlines nearby, there's no reason you couldn't do it from your backyard though, as long as your neighbors aren't too close and don't mind the noise.

Ultralights are a fun and cheap way to get into flying, but like anything, you need to get some lessons and get some experience from people that know what they are doing. Same for PPG or gyroplanes or any of that.

They're all fairly safe, but I've seen several ultralights, mainly gyroplanes, crash at Oshkosh. None of the crashes looked fun. Do things safely, get proper training and you shouldn't have a problem with any of them.

There's a big kiteboarding festival in Primm, NV going on right now and there might be a few paragliders out there. I'll try to get some good pics or ask some questions for you.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 10:26 PM

I don't have any experience with powered paragliding, but I've seen it done a lot. If you don't have trees or powerlines nearby, there's no reason you couldn't do it from your backyard though, as long as your neighbors aren't too close and don't mind the noise.

Ultralights are a fun and cheap way to get into flying, but like anything, you need to get some lessons and get some experience from people that know what they are doing. Same for PPG or gyroplanes or any of that.

They're all fairly safe, but I've seen several ultralights, mainly gyroplanes, crash at Oshkosh. None of the crashes looked fun. Do things safely, get proper training and you shouldn't have a problem with any of them.

There's a big kiteboarding festival in Primm, NV going on right now and there might be a few paragliders out there. I'll try to get some good pics or ask some questions for you.
THANKS!

Also, I'd like to know where I could get info on crashes of ultralights and PPG's, PPC's and the like. I know that since there's no piloting requirements for a PPG that the FAA might not compile accident stats for them. But someone must, don't you think?

I sometimes read FAA incident reports and find them interesting how people make silly mistakes which cost them dearly.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2006, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by abe
THANKS!

Also, I'd like to know where I could get info on crashes of ultralights and PPG's, PPC's and the like. I know that since there's no piloting requirements for a PPG that the FAA might not compile accident stats for them. But someone must, don't you think?

I sometimes read FAA incident reports and find them interesting how people make silly mistakes which cost them dearly.
I used to have a few links, but I've had to read and listen to so many accident reports and cockpit recorder tapes in safety and human factors classes that it's too macabre and depressing. I think airdisaster.com might have some stuff, or just google with keywords like airplane, crash, ultralight, video, audio or whatever you're looking for.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2006, 11:01 PM

My Dad used to be a member of the EAA and built a Rutan Quickie Q2 in the 80s. The whole thing was a bit of a disaster. It was way more expensive than he planned -- especially when the CAA (British version of the FAA) came and inspected his plane and found out that he had build one wing a little higher than the other! They made him give it to a professional to rebuild. Then the test pilot managed to flip it on it's nose during a ground test, which caused a second rebuild.

Anyway, the plane did eventually fly, but by the time he got it airborne I had left the country so I never got to see it in the air. It's a shame, because it was a pretty plane. From the front it looked a bit like an X-Wing fighter because the rear wings have an upward dihedral, whereas the front ones go down (the wheels are on the ends).

Here's a picture of roughly what it looked like:

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 11:09 PM

I used to have a few links, but I've had to read and listen to so many accident reports and cockpit recorder tapes in safety and human factors classes that it's too macabre and depressing. I think airdisaster.com might have some stuff, or just google with keywords like airplane, crash, ultralight, video, audio or whatever you're looking for.
You mean that Google is my FRIEND?

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
My Dad used to be a member of the EAA and built a Rutan Quickie Q2 in the 80s. The whole thing was a bit of a disaster. It was way more expensive than he planned -- especially when the CAA (British version of the FAA) came and inspected his plane and found out that he had build one wing a little higher than the other! They made him give it to a professional to rebuild. Then the test pilot managed to flip it on it's nose during a ground test, which caused a second rebuild.

Anyway, the plane did eventually fly, but by the time he got it airborne I had left the country so I never got to see it in the air. It's a shame, because it was a pretty plane. From the front it looked a bit like an X-Wing fighter because the rear wings have an upward dihedral, whereas the front ones go down (the wheels are on the ends).

That's a beautiful looking plane! And it's a testament to his dedication that he'd rebuild it TWICE even after what could easily have been an already sizable $$ and time investment.

Here's a kit plane called the mini-imp that they say only costs $3200 but takes 1500 hours to build.

Check out the specs. http://www.mini-imp.com/news.htm

With a 100 hp engine it claims a top speed of 200+ mph!

Mini-IMP Aircraft Company

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2006, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey

snip
Awesome!
I remember those, a lot of Rutan's early designs ended up being more complex to build than a lot of people hoped. Still awesome though.

I always liked this little one, although it didn't catch on. You could fold it up and put it in the trunk of the car at the end of the day...and no making fun of the kid in the pic! It was over a decade ago!

Originally Posted by abe
You mean that Google is my FRIEND?

I've got a ton of flying pics, but don't have time to post anymore. Got a 5 hour drive to NV. Hope there'll be a lot more pics when I get back.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 11:32 PM

This is called the Afford A Plane. Around $3,000 but only 250 hours est. to build and much more modest flight characteristics.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...lights&pl=true
( Last edited by abe; Apr 2, 2006 at 07:01 AM. )

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 11:34 PM

Awesome!
I remember those, a lot of Rutan's early designs ended up being more complex to build than a lot of people hoped. Still awesome though.

I always liked this little one, although it didn't catch on. You could fold it up and put it in the trunk of the car at the end of the day...and no making fun of the kid in the pic! It was over a decade ago!

I've got a ton of flying pics, but don't have time to post anymore. Got a 5 hour drive to NV. Hope there'll be a lot more pics when I get back.
Have a great trip and an enjoyable time!

abe
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2006, 09:06 PM

Does the fact that it's a Rutan design have the same significance as owning a Frank Lloyd Wright designed home?

Rutan Quickie
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Quickie is a light homebuilt aircraft designed by Burt Rutan, Tom Jewett, and Gene Sheehan and marketed by the Quickie Aircraft Corporation founded by the latter two men. One of the dozens of unconventional aircraft penned by Rutan for the general aviation market, the original Quickie is Model 54 in Rutan's design series.

Appearing at first glance to be a modified biplane or canard design, the Quickie is in fact a tandem wing aircraft; both the front and rear wings are full airfoils. The forward wing is technically a canard, fitted with elevators, but it provides about 60% of the lift. The design has no horizontal tail, as all pitch control comes from the forward wing. Highly efficient, and of composite construction, the Quickie is a typically radical Rutan aircraft.
[edit]
Variants

There are three main versions of Rutan's design. The Quickie has one seat and is powered by a 20 horsepower (15 kW) engine. The Quickie Q2 has a 64 horsepower (48 kW) Volkswagen engine and seats two side by side, while the Q200 (also seating two) is faster than the Q2 with a 105 horsepower (78 kW) Continental O-200 engine and uses a different airfoil for the canard. Both the Q2 and the Q200 can be constructed as Tri-Qs, featuring tricycle landing gear rather than conventional landing gear.
[edit]

Forum Links
Forum Rules