Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac DVSE Freezes/Crashes @ Start-Up~Help!

iMac DVSE Freezes/Crashes @ Start-Up~Help!
Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2000, 05:44 PM

Hey All,
I'm having a major problem with my iMac DVSE. This is a long story, so let me get started. I've had the iMac since October, and it's been virtually problem free. I updated to OS 9.0.4 successfully when it was released. About a month ago, it started freezing when it started up...first, the blinking folder would show up, and then was replaced with a blessed System Folder icon, and then it proceeded to start-up as normal. Sometimes this would show up, other times it would start up completely normal. But, when it started up, right as it started to load the extenstions, it would freeze. BUT, it only did this sometimes, maybe 2 out of 3 times. The only thing that would restart it was the reset button. It would repeat the same thing twice, and then after a 3rd reset, it would successfully boot. This was a pain in the neck that I was planning to address, but it didn't bother me too much. Then, after reading a message on the Mac boards about a neat shareware control panel, SwitchRes, I downloaded and installed it. Well, I tried a few resolutions that made my screen black, and I couldn't undo it since I couldn't see where my mouse was on the screen. So, I booted up from my Mac OS 9 CD, and removed SwitchRes from my hard drive. I booted up as usual, and the little dialog-thing came up saying that the computer was shut down improperly, and that it was checking and repairing the disk, etc. Well, as soon as it was finished, the mouse froze, and it wouldn't finish booting. This happened repeatedly. I then tried to boot up from CD so I could go to my General Control Panels to turn the shut-down improperly warning off. Well, it doesn't stay turned off. Every time I turn the computer back on, it's on again, and it freezes. It doesn't matter if I hit "Stop" or wait until it's "Done", it always freezes. So at this point, I decided to re-install my system software. I've had the iMac since October, so I didn't do a clean install, because I couldn't back anything up to SuperDisk or burn a CD since none of my extenstions would load. I installed OS 9.0 from the OS 9 CD. It didn't do anything, I still had all the same problems. So I was reading an Apple TIL today that said that some iMacs who get an improper Mac OS ROM installed (replacing a newer version with an older version) won't boot up properly. I figured that maybe since I was running 9.0.4, and installed 9.0, there was a conflict. I booted from CD, and tried to install 9.0.4, which it said it did successfully (although it only took about a minute and a half to install, so I wonder if it really did), and yet I still freeze when the dialog "this computer has been shut down properly.." shows upon start-up. I have no clue what to do now. Do you have any idea of what is going wrong, and how I can fix it, short of wiping the disk clean? Thank you!
-Josh <--going crazy

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 26, 2000, 05:57 PM

well, i may be sounding like a broken record to some, but if after running all my HD util's (Norton or TechTool, and DiskWarrior) and zapping the PRAM i still had an unhappy Mac i'd apply a shotgun approach and trash nearly every preference file you can mention

if you have done everything but the trashing of pref's and would like to know more specifically which pref's files i mean, i will list them, post here again if you need the info... i just would rather not go to the trouble this moment unless necessary but i will

Josh Reid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2000, 07:26 PM

IT WORKED! Thank you so much wlonh! Since I don't often have problems with my Macs, I don't have Norton's, DiskWarrior, or any of the other problem-fixer programs. But, zapping the PRAM worked! I didn't even think to do that, but I cleared it, and lo and behold, my huge problem was gone! Thanks again!
-Josh =).

iMacZee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2000, 07:41 PM

Tell me - some say that when zapping the PRAM you should wait untill you her the "bootsound"! 3 times ?
Why ? - I've zapped many PRAM's but I've just waited for 1 extra bootsound . . .

Sorry - but I'm confused

------------------
iMacZee - all over the world . . .
http://www.imaczee.com

Josh Reid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2000, 07:47 PM

I'm not really sure..I turned it on, held the keys, and it chimed..twice, I think, but not right after one another. It chimed once with the screen off, the screen turned on, then off and chimed again. I figured that I was just doing the same thing over again, so I let go and it booted as normal. My iMac works now, so I guess you only have to make it chime once or twice to zap the PRAM.
-Josh =).

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 26, 2000, 08:03 PM

well i forget exactly what the deal is, but i think that 4 chimes (holding the key combo down for 4 chimes) clears nearly everything in the PRAM... one chime won't nor two... don't get me wrong, a one chime or a two chime will clear the PRAM somewhat, and perhaps nearly clear it completely... but i have noticed that more data is cleared (in the Apple method) by holding down the key combo for four chimes...

and i believe it's best to use TechTool 1.2.1 freeware to zap the PRAM because MicroMat claims that their method will clear the PRAM completely whereas the Apple method does not

now, to zap NVRAM you must first shut down the Mac and then use the PRAM zap key combo as you startup

look here: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n2238

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 05-26-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules