Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is the Drobo S (2nd Gen Firewire) working with El Capitan ?

Is the Drobo S (2nd Gen Firewire) working with El Capitan ?
Anto39x
Sep 25, 2015, 05:09 AM

Does anyone know if the Drobo S (2nd Gen Firewire) working with El Capitan ?

I have spoken with Drobo and they have informed me that this is the end of the line for support and testing as far as this particular product goes.... so I'm no left with a situation that I either stay as I am on Yosemite or purchase an upgrade from Drobo.... the Drobo 5D, which also comes only with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 connectivity which I'm now not sure will even work with my MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2010) main work computer.

I was going to upgrade to a new MacPro but there's new refresh imminent... so I'm at a loss as what to do.

I currently have about 15TB (QTY 5 x 3TB Drives) worth of Drobo backup capacity backing up work files, personal photos, movies, music and this is all working perfectly.

I also have a partition setup testing all my core apps... and they are all really running well... no real issue... but this issue... which I didn't really even consider seems to be now the big stumbling block to upgrading.

Has anyone tested their own Drobo S on the new El Capitan update....? and if so, what was the result/results ?

Any adivce or comments most welcome.

Best regards,
Anthony
Irish MacUser and MacAddict

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2015, 10:36 PM

Get a real NAS, something that connects via Ethernet.
I'm so glad I got rid of my Drobo. It was slow as heck.

I'm a happy Synology user now.

-t

OreoCookie
Sep 26, 2015, 11:08 PM

I also recommend you have a look at Synology NASes instead: I have a DS214+ which has been nothing short of excellent. I now have my own Dropbox-style cloud syncing solution, and can run all sorts of services right on the box.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 27, 2015, 12:20 AM

Got a spare external drive handy? Install El Capitan on the external, boot it, and see if the drobo still works.

Alternatively, Apple will continue to support Yosemite for at least a year. I expect a MacPro refresh well before Yosemite support dwindles.

Forum Links
Forum Rules