Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > AAPL Running Wild: +$3.10 Today

AAPL Running Wild: +$3.10 Today
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 04:04 PM

Apple's stock is running wild - up over $3.10 for the day (and up an additional $.17 from the intraday low). And, importantly, the stock broke through a critical level of resistance - the $69-$70 area. There doesn't seem to be any concrete news to which this jump may be ascribed; it appears that the rumors of the special event are responsible for this activity.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 04:08 PM

In other news, my company's stock is going up today as well.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939

gorickey!
Signature depreciated.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2006, 04:14 PM

The special event certainly has potential. If Apple can be even mildly successful at selling or renting movies, that's another huge market for them to tap. I really hope they were able to work out a good deal on the DRM. I won't pay 14.99 or even 9.99 for movies that I can't either burn to dvd, or have an easy way to get to the TV.

I've been buying stocks of companies I follow closely and that's been Nintendo and Apple. Nintendo's up 40% in just the last few months.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Calimus
The special event certainly has potential. If Apple can be even mildly successful at selling or renting movies, that's another huge market for them to tap. I really hope they were able to work out a good deal on the DRM. I won't pay 14.99 or even 9.99 for movies that I can't either burn to dvd, or have an easy way to get to the TV.

I've been buying stocks of companies I follow closely and that's been Nintendo and Apple. Nintendo's up 40% in just the last few months.
I don't see us being able to burn DVDs from our movies. I think the MPAA would freak out.

Also, I think the movie pricing is going to be upsetting. I'm guessing well over $5 a movie, and wouldn't be surprised if it's $9.99. Also, the quality will probably be near DVD quality, but somewhat lower.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939

Steve?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 09:27 PM

Another happy investor.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2006, 09:50 PM

Undoubtedly because of the September 12th event... now everyones excited ( including me )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2006, 10:14 PM

My portfolio was certainly happy today.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
Undoubtedly because of the September 12th event... now everyones excited ( including me )
Don't forget about Mr. Wu's iPod phone statements.

"Our research indicates that an Apple-designed smart phone has moved from concept to prototype and recently has progressed to near completion as a production unit," analyst Shaw Wu told clients in a research note on Tuesday. "We believe this smart phone has been in development for over 12 months and has overcome substantial challenges including design, interference, battery life and other technical glitches."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2006, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
Don't forget about Mr. Wu's iPod phone statements.

"Our research indicates that an Apple-designed smart phone has moved from concept to prototype and recently has progressed to near completion as a production unit," analyst Shaw Wu told clients in a research note on Tuesday. "We believe this smart phone has been in development for over 12 months and has overcome substantial challenges including design, interference, battery life and other technical glitches."
Good timing, just as I'm looking for my new phone.

Here's to hoping there is a way to get unlimited minutes to my girlfriend on Verizon.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

draggerman11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2006, 10:33 PM

I got a few shares at 52.33. I'm a little happy

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 10:36 PM

Re: iPod phone...

I think music (and video) support is very important, but good photo support is even more important.

If Apple does release an iPod phone, then it will be great for AAPL. However, I personally won't buy one unless it has a reasonably good camera with a nice sensor rez.

P.S. I'd be very surprised if we saw it in 2006.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2006, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
Re: iPod phone...

I think music (and video) support is very important, but good photo support is even more important.

If Apple does release an iPod phone, then it will be great for AAPL. However, I personally won't buy one unless it has a reasonably good camera with a nice sensor rez.
I just want one that "Doesn't suck" (TM)

If they have good Bluetooth syncing, and maybe even syncing over WiFi or the carrier to .Mac, I'll be pretty gosh darn happy. Large display would be nice too, and pen input would be pretty cool, but then pen input isn't necessary, and probably doesn't fit Apple's style anyway.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by goMac

If they have good Bluetooth syncing
You could choose from a bazillion existing phones then, that are much lower priced than an iPod phone is likely to be.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
You could choose from a bazillion existing phones then, that are much lower priced than an iPod phone is likely to be.
If it's not an Apple phone than I want one running Windows Mobile with a pen interface so I can write things in. That decreases my options significantly.

But, I would succumb to Apple bias if they were to release one.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by goMac

If they have good Bluetooth syncing, and maybe even syncing over WiFi or the carrier to .Mac, I'll be pretty gosh darn happy. Large display would be nice too, and pen input would be pretty cool, but then pen input isn't necessary, and probably doesn't fit Apple's style anyway.
I'm hoping for a nail file and a corkscrew.

And a laser pointer.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2006, 08:45 PM

Profit taking today?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8
Profit taking today?
Yes, I was kinda expecting this, but also the markets in general were way down today.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2006, 09:23 PM

I think after no really cool new video iPod next week, the stock will start to drop again.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2006, 12:40 PM

It's at $72.70 now.

Originally Posted by TailsToo
I think after no really cool new video iPod next week, the stock will start to drop again.
Dunno. Maybe, but I think the price rise has more to do with the thought of a video download service. The video iPods to support that already exist. I do expect some new iPods next week though.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2006, 12:49 PM

$72.74

I would expect a much larger screen video iPod and a video airport express, so you can stream movies from your mac to your iPod video and or your TV.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2006, 01:41 PM

Hah! At $72, I've earned a buck per share since I loaded up in January.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann
Hah! At $72, I've earned a buck per share since I loaded up in January.
I've earned about 4 bucks per share.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2006, 02:03 PM

$13 here.

I still wish I had bought when it was $25 though, when I wanted to (but couldn't cuz I was short on cash).

forkies
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2006, 02:06 PM

how do i calculate how much per share, if i bought it when it was $35 then it split, twice

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by forkies
how do i calculate how much per share, if i bought it when it was $35 then it split, twice
Lucky git.

Each of your shares was worth 4 of today's shares. Therefore, in today's share's terms, you paid $8.75 per share.

At $73, your shares are now worth $64.25 more than you paid for them, an increase of over 700%.

In other words, if you bought $15000 worth of shares back then, they'd be worth $125000 now.

When did you buy? In 2003?
( Last edited by Eug; Sep 7, 2006 at 02:17 PM. )

forkies
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
When did you buy? In 2003?
no, just before the imac came out, so late summer 1998, nearly 10 years ago (damn time flies)
god i suck at math, thanks for the figures

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2006, 12:56 AM

bought at $60/ share before the split. i'm a pretty happy camper. still don't know where to set the trigger to sell though, ideas?

StrongBad
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2006, 03:12 AM

time to sell short, because it always drops right after the events.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2006, 04:36 AM

Yup, buy the rumor, sell the news. But no shorting until after the announcements.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
bought at $60/ share before the split. i'm a pretty happy camper. still don't know where to set the trigger to sell though, ideas?
Nice. If you can do without the money still I would hold.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2006, 01:23 PM

As expected, AAPL is dropping a bit today.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
Sold on yesterday's high ;-)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2006, 01:46 PM

I'm holding it for now. I'll probably hold until at least sometime in 2007 or perhaps longer, unless AAPL jumps crazy high before that.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
Dropped hard with a huge amount of volume on this great news, but now it has recovered and should exceed the day's high.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2006, 03:32 PM

Yeah. I wonder if the iTV thingamajig made people happy. It's currently at $73.17, up 67 cents for the day so far.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 04:17 PM

I bought 1000 shares when it was $16.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I bought 1000 shares when it was $16.

$290000?

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
$290000?
Where did you get $290,000? $16x1000 shares is $16,000 or around $75,000 at todays share price. Or did I miss something?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2006, 05:33 PM

I thought the last time it was $16 was 2 splits ago, but I'm not sure.

$72500 x 4 ~ $290000.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 05:39 PM

For some reason I thought I'd spent under $20K on that stock purchase...I thought it was $17K and some change...I bought it a few years ago.

I sold Cisco and MSFT and bought Apple and that's how it was paid for. I pay no attention to any stock reports at all for the most part. The monthly statements come and I stuff them in a drawer until the main one comes in December and I give that to a CPA and he takes care of my tax sich for the year.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2006, 10:34 PM

I bought at $18 (sounds like around the same time as Cody) and I believe that I've only received one split.

25 shares x 2 = 50 x $72.60 = $3630.00 - (50 x $18) = $2730.00 = Profit

If I had known that the stock was going to take off as well as it has, I would have purchased more than the few novelty shares that I did. ¡Qué lástima!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2006, 10:44 PM

OK then, perhaps Cody's stash is worth "only" $145000.

This is about the only time I regret putting money into my mortgage instead of the stock market. Well, only a little bit.

porieux
Baninated
Sep 13, 2006, 03:39 AM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 05:23 AM. )

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 08:40 AM

Okay, you're right, Eug, it is a lot of money -

I really had no idea - just got off the telephone with the broker.

I bought it so long ago and forgot about it. I have Microsoft that I've had since 1987 also and have never paid attention to that either and that has done very well also. I buy them and forget about them. Like Starbucks. I bought Starbucks at $16 many many years ago and that's another one that he pointed out to me has done extremely well.

They're for old age and/or my kids. Trust me, we live very modestly, on a budget, drive used cars, and believe that the only way to retire with a safety net is to buy stock when it is very low and we like the company. In my entire life the most I've ever purchased as far as stock goes is $10K. The rest was given to me because I worked at the place (Microsoft).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2006, 08:52 AM

Some good purchases to say the least, Cody. AAPL has treated you well.

If I wasn't socking all that money into my mortgage back then I would have bought AAPL when it was $25.

However, this was purely for dabbling, and I would probably sold at $35ish anyway before the split. I would have figured a 40% profit would have been "good enough" before I cashed out.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 09:08 AM

I've never invested a lot of money into stocks.

I have something set up with my bank account so that $50 comes out of it twice monthly and at the end of the year I take that money and buy a stock that I've been watching or heard about. If I have any extra $$$ I might contribute a little more.

But this way I never feel a "pinch" for buying something.

Also, my husband has money going into some investment plans that are yielding as much as 22% return annually through his company but that contribution he makes is made before he receives his salary/paycheck and we never "feel" it taken out. It's not very much, but over the years it begins to add up little by little.

I guess what I'm saying is that we invest very little and we forget about it after that. I never ever pay attention to any of it. Like I said we live on a budget, have a modest home, and are very careful with any purchases. We don't do exotic vacations or buy fancy boats or toys.

Anyway, it's the stock market. We could lose it all tomorrow. As far as I'm concerned I've invested about $10K total of my own money (out of my pocket directly - I bought Apple from Microsoft stock that was sold that I never paid for) and so if I lost it all then I wouldn't be too upset.

forkies
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 10:27 AM

ner, i think it's rude to disclose details like how many shares one has purchased or how much one has invested. i said when i bought the stock, but i wouldn't say how much i have. it's just tactless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules