Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Rosie O! - Rad Christianity As Bad As Rad Islam

Rosie O! - Rad Christianity As Bad As Rad Islam
marden
Baninated
Sep 14, 2006, 12:52 PM

Rosie O’Donnell: ‘Radical Christianity is Just as Threatening as Radical Islam’ | NewsBusters.org

Rosie O’Donnell: ‘Radical Christianity is Just as Threatening as Radical Islam’

Posted by Scott Whitlock on September 12, 2006 - 17:06.

Rosie O’Donnell, the new host of "The View," restrained herself for exactly one week before letting fly with her extreme liberalism. On the September 12 edition, in response to fellow co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck’s comment that militant Islam is a grave threat, O’Donnell stated that "radical Christianity is just as threatening as radical Islam in a country like America." The comedienne also attacked America’s response to 9/11:

O’Donnell: "We were attacked not by a nation. And as a result of the attack and the killing of nearly 3,000 innocent people we invaded two countries and killed innocent people in their countries."

Video clip (44seconds): Real (1.19 MB at 225 kbps) or Windows Media (1.37 MB at 256 kbps), plus MP3 audio (198 KB)
I think she takes the prohibition on gay marriage too personally and it has affected her thinking. She doesn't know what she's talking about. Christians aren't killing in the name of Jesus.
( Last edited by marden; Sep 14, 2006 at 01:00 PM. )

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2006, 01:07 PM

Rosie's is completely right.

Take a look at the "Jesus Camp" movie, all those little kids are being brainwashed to be the next Timothy McVie, as God's soldiers.

It's really, really scary.
The Religious Right is neither.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 14, 2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by kobi
Rosie's is completely right.

Take a look at the "Jesus Camp" movie, all those little kids are being brainwashed to be the next Timothy McVie, as God's soldiers.

It's really, really scary.
Why do you think that is scary?

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2006, 01:26 PM

Anybody who aspires to use violence to get their point across, scares me.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 01:29 PM

Then get prepared for a rather scary future, because that's just about all you're going to see.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 14, 2006, 01:29 PM

Me too. But maybe I missed where the kids in the Christian camp were being violent, learning to be violent or supporting violence.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 14, 2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
Then get prepared for a rather scary future, because that's just about all you're going to see.
From who?

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by marden
Me too. But maybe I missed where the kids in the Christian camp were being violent, learning to be violent or supporting violence.
Wait 'till they lose the next election.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 01:32 PM

From who?
Just about any reactionary fundamentalist nutcase who wants to get his or her point across.

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2006, 01:32 PM

Definitely, espescially since our main foe for the next 20 years is not a western culture, and such does not share our same attitudes about non-violence, tolerance, etc

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Reducto
Definitely, espescially since our main foe for the next 20 years is not a western culture, and such does not share our same attitudes about non-violence, tolerance, etc
You're right, it's actually from the far east, and just in case you were wondering, it's not Islam either.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 14, 2006, 01:38 PM

Wait 'till they lose the next election.
And if your prediction fails to come true then it's just, oh well? A harmless swipe at Christians?

Just because we strive to be peaceful doesn't mean we are always successful. Just because we are taught to turn the other cheek doesn't mean we are not supposed to defend ourselves. Just because some Christians misrepresent what Christianity is all about doesn't mean we stand silently by while they do what they do. Just because America is full of Christians and operates along the ideals of Christianity that doesn't mean that America is a Christian nation or conducts foreign policy based on religious edicts.

On what basis do you say that?

Any? Or do you say dispiriting things about people because it's trendy?

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 01:46 PM

Rosie O’Donnell: ‘Radical Christianity is Just as Threatening as Radical Islam’ | NewsBusters.org

I think she takes the prohibition on gay marriage too personally and it has affected her thinking. She doesn't know what she's talking about. Christians aren't killing in the name of Jesus.
Umm what she says is completely true though.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 02:09 PM

Christianity is totally rad!
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 02:15 PM

It is not a well kept secret that Christianity has had an extremely bloody history. You can say that Christianity and humanity has learned oh so much, but it is still based on the same texts. It hasn't been until recent years that Islam has become violent, and it too has always been based on the same texts. What does this tell you? Religion in general can be a bloody affair.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 02:23 PM

And if your prediction fails to come true then it's just, oh well?
We'll see. These so called "Christians" will be judged (historically) by their actions, not by what they purport to be.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 02:31 PM

rosie is right on

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2006, 02:42 PM

Anyone on the left think Rosie is wrong?

Anyone on the right think Rosie is correct?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 03:21 PM

...both of which are as bad as radical Judaism or even radical Buddhism. Next?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

pooka
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 03:31 PM

Just about any reactionary fundamentalist nutcase who wants to get his or her point across.
Like your girlfriend, Che?

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 03:38 PM

And the bombings of abortion clinics and the murders of doctors are signs of Christian love.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 03:53 PM

Uh...those are the radical ones, my dear.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by pooka
Like your girlfriend, Che?
If you think Che was a reactionary, you know as little about him as you know about politics, or my sexual preferences for that matter.

Nice try though…

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
...even radical Buddhism. Next?
"Radical Buddhism"? Could you please elaborate on this bizarre concept…

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2006, 04:13 PM

What exactly do radical christians stand for? Is Jerry Falwell/Pat Robertson considered a radical? Sure ya have those funeral protestors, but they are just plain crazy... I think Rosie Odonnell herself is a radical, and is as dangerous as Osama Bin Laden.

pooka
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 04:22 PM

If you think Che was a reactionary, you know as little about him as you know about politics, or my sexual preferences for that matter.
I apologize for saying he was a reactionary. He was an extremely calculating murderous douch-bag. I also apologize for implying that you were sexually attracted to persons with cavernous vaginas like Che Guevara. He was a good man with bad aim*

*assumption based on the fact he preferred to shoot people at close range with their hands tied behind their backs.

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2006, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by pooka
I apologize for saying he was a reactionary. He was an extremely calculating murderous douch-bag. I also apologize for implying that you were sexually attracted to persons with cavernous vaginas like Che Guevara. He was a good man with bad aim*

*assumption based on the fact he preferred to shoot people at close range with their hands tied behind their backs
Sounds like somebody drank the kool-aid.
Damn I love sheep with blinders on.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 04:29 PM

I apologize for saying he was a reactionary. He was an extremely calculating murderous douch-bag.
Well, if he ever had anything in common with fundamentalist asshats, it would be exactly that.

Good thing though you can be so smug about your own politics by pointing the finger at communist revolutionaries.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2006, 04:31 PM

Che = carpetbagger. EOD.

pooka
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 04:31 PM

Damn I love sheep with blinders on.
They're good without blinders, too. Best loving you will ever get outside of Bangkok.

pooka
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 04:36 PM

Good thing though you can be so smug about your own politics by pointing the finger at communist revolutionaries.
I have no problem wiping my ass with with any faith. Religions or economic "theories".*giggle*
I have pointed out nothing about my own politics. Just enjoy some folks more selective nature when it comes to condemning/condoning radical douche-bags. Past or present.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 04:37 PM

even radical Buddhism.
They'll contemplate enlightenment for 8 hours instead of 4.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2006, 04:43 PM

now that's scary.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 04:44 PM

I have pointed out nothing about my own politics. Just enjoy some folks more selective nature when it comes to condemning/condoning radical douche-bags.
Then you must be confusing me with somebody else, since I've never condoned any murders commited by "radical douche-bags" - right or left.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2006, 04:46 PM

Radical feminists , radical haircuts, free radicals, radical enviromentalists, radical libertarians... radical anything pretty much sucks.

"Radical"
-Millhouse.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
They'll contemplate enlightenment for 8 hours instead of 4.
Ahahahaaaaaaaaa!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 05:33 PM

"Radical Buddhism"? Could you please elaborate on this bizarre concept…
The history of Sri Lanka is full of examples of radical Buddhists and the damage they can do. Everything from assassinations to riots to wars.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 14, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann
Umm what she says is completely true though.
No, it isn't.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 14, 2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
It is not a well kept secret that Christianity has had an extremely bloody history. You can say that Christianity and humanity has learned oh so much, but it is still based on the same texts. It hasn't been until recent years that Islam has become violent, and it too has always been based on the same texts. What does this tell you? Religion in general can be a bloody affair.
Islam spread from it's birthplace on the Arabian Peninsula by the sword and it's expansion was only stopped by the sword.

Misguided Christians came to understand that the violence they were committing in the name of Jesus was wrong and was not what the Bible taught.

Violence under color of Christianity stopped hundreds of years ago.

This is an example Islam could follow, but there is a premium placed on the unchanging nature of Islam by it's adherents.

Old fashioned, unbending, unyielding, outdated, static.

Old School, to the max.

"That which is static and repetitive is boring. That which is dynamic and random is confusing. In between lies art." — John Locke (1632-1704)

The only art practiced by the jihadists is the art of war and violence and intimidation and death and destruction.

Christians strive to become more loving and more Christlike.

Muslim jihadists strive to fight in the way of Allah.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 10:13 PM

...both of which are as bad as radical Judaism or even radical Buddhism. Next?
it's very apt that you used judaism (as well as christianity and islam) as an extreme to buddhism. this is right on

btw, what is a rad buddhist? "i don't care, i don't like cats. there i said it."

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 14, 2006, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by placebo1969
Anyone on the left think Rosie is wrong?

Anyone on the right think Rosie is correct?
http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...ew-liberalism/

I am not so ideologically unbending that I lose sight of AMERICA. And AMERICANS.

Rosie is misinformed and my guess is she's emotionally driven to oppose Christianity because the Christian right opposes gay marriage.

If Rosie thought about it she might wonder why there were so few Muslims opposing Islamic radicals as there are Americans or Christians who are critical of the Bush Administration or Christian fundies or America.

The Hollywood crowd should use their star power to encourage moderate Muslims to stand up and speak out.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 11:14 PM

http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...ew-liberalism/

I am not so ideologically unbending that I lose sight of AMERICA. And AMERICANS.

Rosie is misinformed and my guess is she's emotionally driven to oppose Christianity because the Christian right opposes gay marriage.

If Rosie thought about it she might wonder why there were so few Muslims opposing Islamic radicals as there are Americans or Christians who are critical of the Bush Administration or Christian fundies or America.

The Hollywood crowd should use their star power to encourage moderate Muslims to stand up and speak out.
Maybe it's because the moderate Muslims are afraid that if they draw attention to themselves they'll be lynched by the radical Christians...

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 11:50 PM

Islam spread from it's birthplace on the Arabian Peninsula by the sword and it's expansion was only stopped by the sword.

Misguided Christians came to understand that the violence they were committing in the name of Jesus was wrong and was not what the Bible taught.

Violence under color of Christianity stopped hundreds of years ago.

This is an example Islam could follow, but there is a premium placed on the unchanging nature of Islam by it's adherents.

The only art practiced by the jihadists is the art of war and violence and intimidation and death and destruction.

Christians strive to become more loving and more Christlike.

Muslim jihadists strive to fight in the way of Allah.

Thats sort of not right. In fact its such a vast over-simplification I won't even start. Christians didn't just say "oh gee, that whole crusades thing really was a bummer. Lets go hug each other." Violence in the name of religion happens. It still happens. Its about people not religions.

There are still a very large number of fundamentalist christians. This may not mean violence but often its just as oppressive in its attitude towards non-fundamentalists.

Islam is a religion practiced by people. People decide what to follow, what to misinterpret, and when to strap a bomb on and blow up a bus. You can't say "moderate muslims need to speak up" and then go "but man, islam is just plain violent". Funnily enough moderate muslims did speak out against those cartoons. They were told that they were over sensitive and to go shut up.

Don't use the word Jihad when you don't know what it means. Its insulting to muslims and it makes you look like a fool.

I don't mean to be harsh. In many ways I agree with you. You're a far cry from the out-right insanity of Spliffdaddy and PacHead which is somewhat refreshing. Ultimately it isn't our job to change, ban, or otherwise infringe on a religion. What we need to do is draw a line between the people and the bad people. Not muslims and moderate muslims. Muslims and terrorists. Because the more we continue to equate Islam with "evil" we draw closer to a line I don't think we want to cross.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 11:52 PM

Radical Any Religion is a bad thing. I'm not sure why Christianity thinks they're exempt. That's usually something radical religions tell their followers as they grow more and more radical.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 11:55 PM

Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 12:01 AM

She is right, well about the radical religion thing. Dunno 'bout the 9/11 part though.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 12:04 AM

*edit*

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 15, 2006, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Maybe it's because the moderate Muslims are afraid that if they draw attention to themselves they'll be lynched by the radical Christians...
Which one comes first, chicken or egg? We haven't attacked the Islamic protesters preaching hatred and jihad. We have applauded those few who have stood up.

I think any fears you talk about exist more in your mind than in reality.

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2006, 01:30 AM

I think rad Christians were frikkin' bad.

In Europe.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Uh...those are the radical ones, my dear.
You'll note that the thread is about the radical ones ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules