Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sold all my AAPL today

Sold all my AAPL today
Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2006, 02:08 PM

It was a good run. I was starting to get a little antsy, so I sold all my Apple stock at $86.64.

Maybe if AAPL drops again, I'll buy some more.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 02:55 PM

how much you make/loose to your broker?

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 02:57 PM

$$$$.

mindwaves
Nov 20, 2006, 02:58 PM

Nice, I am tempted to do the same. I go through TD Ameritrade so I only pay $9.99 per transaction.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
how much you make/loose to your broker?
My online broker isn't especially cheap, but cheap enough for my infrequent trades. CAD$29.99 (US$26). I don't make enough trades to take advantage of the $10 plans here.

P.S. Last time I bought was early this year after a big drop after it had peaked at over $85.

Quite frankly I was a little surprised it came back to $85 so quickly.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2006, 05:05 PM

I don't think it will drop before the end of the year. I might sell some before the next MacWorld, which I think will be underwhelming.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 05:19 PM

How much money did you make selling them?

marden
Baninated
Nov 20, 2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
150 views of this thread but only 6 replies? Everyone wants to know but only a few who are willing to ask the question you did. Hahaha!

macintologist
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2006, 06:05 PM

I have no experience with the stock market whatsoever.

If tomorrow I decided that I wanted to buy $500 worth of Apple stock, how would I go about doing that?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 06:14 PM

send me the money and i'll set you up

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 06:24 PM

Not wait till MacWorld SF? I'm no way into that kind of thing, but may be it's the right time.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 20, 2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
I won't tell you the exact dollar amount, but it won't make me rich.

I made 45% on my investment, a respectable 4-digit amount, but it's certainly no comparison to the 200%+ some people have made on AAPL.

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
I don't think it will drop before the end of the year. I might sell some before the next MacWorld, which I think will be underwhelming.
I was thinking the same thing, but I figured what the hell. The fact that Zune is a bust is probably already factored into the price of AAPL, so I figured it was good enough a time to sell. If I had kept it into 2007, I would most definitely have sold before Macworld though barring any unforseen events.

mindwaves
Nov 20, 2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post

If tomorrow I decided that I wanted to buy $500 worth of Apple stock, how would I go about doing that?
Open a stock account at TD Ameritrade or some other discount brokerage.
Electronically deposit some money from your checking account to the stock account.
Buy $500 worth of Apple stock which is about 5 shares.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post

You typically don't buy $500 worth of stock, you buy a certain number of whole shares and pay whatever they're worth. You can buy by dollar amount (including partial shares) at places like Buy and Hold and ShareBuilder, but you won't get the best price there and you'll pay monthly fees for as long as the shares are in your account. Those places are great of you want to, say, put a few hundred dollars a month into the market and invest it right away. Try not to spend more than 3% of any investment in fees (much less if you can help it...)

Places like www.ameritrade.com, and www.etrade.com are more traditional places to start, but you're probably looking at a $2k minimum to open an accont without soul-sucking fees.

Standard disclaimers:

Learn a bit about investing and how companies are valued first. The Motley Fool is a good place to start, IMHO.

If you have consumer debt, pay that off first. It's no use to be making 10% in the Stock Market with money you could have been using to pay off your 18% credit debt.

It's a good idea to be diversified, and not just put all your money in one stock. Index funds are your friend, they track broad indexes and are less prone to erratic movements.... I started investing by putting $100/mo in SPY and $100/mo in one of three different stocks per month, including AAPL....
( Last edited by Dork.; Nov 20, 2006 at 07:19 PM. )

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2006, 07:31 PM

I'd say what I did with AAPL between June 03 and December 04 was pretty damn impressive:

Bought at $17.10... sold at $65

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Cold Warrior
Nov 20, 2006, 07:40 PM

I bought at US$20 and still have the shares.

Anyone know if there's US tax liability if I were to sell but dump that money immediately back into a 401k (tax-deferred) or mutual fund?

mindwaves
Nov 20, 2006, 09:01 PM

Chances are you cannot move it back into your 401k plan after you sell it. Since you have held the stock for more than 1 yr, then it is taxed at most 15%.

mindwaves
Nov 21, 2006, 10:28 AM

Up $1.13 in pre-market trading.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Up $1.13 in pre-market trading.
Yeah, it's over $87 now. Oh well, them's the breaks.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Yeah, it's over $87 now. Oh well, them's the breaks.
This can't just be about how crappy the Zune is. Is this all about the silly iPhone? Because I am so going to dump all my shares a few days before MacWorld if that is the case. The iPhone has so much hype behind it that I think that even if it sold for $50 and came with a $100 bill in the box people would be disappointed. (The iTV, or whatever it's goign to be called, will make a bigger long-term splash but nobody will bid the stock up becasuse of it, I think....)

Remember rule #1 in the stock market, buy on rumor, sell on news!

does Apple still report earnings the week of MacWorld?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 11:19 AM

Oh man, I bought at 60 and I'm getting the trigger finger. I think I'm going to wait until after the holidays before I sell, though. Probably just before MacWorld.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
This can't just be about how crappy the Zune is. Is this all about the silly iPhone? Because I am so going to dump all my shares a few days before MacWorld if that is the case. The iPhone has so much hype behind it that I think that even if it sold for $50 and came with a $100 bill in the box people would be disappointed. (The iTV, or whatever it's goign to be called, will make a bigger long-term splash but nobody will bid the stock up becasuse of it, I think....)

Remember rule #1 in the stock market, buy on rumor, sell on news!

does Apple still report earnings the week of MacWorld?
I thought the iPhone crap was already factored into the price, but I guess I was mistaken.

mindwaves
Nov 21, 2006, 12:42 PM

I sold all of mine also today, but I might buy it back in the near future. I'm pretty happy though because I made about 25% more money (stocks + wage) this year compared to last year.

♥
Nov 21, 2006, 02:23 PM

And Apple is now at an all-time high today - and expected to go higher.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 02:25 PM

Should I bother setting a stop loss order at 83 or so? Maybe I need to take my charts out for a drive this weekend to find the sweet spot....

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Anyone know if there's US tax liability if I were to sell but dump that money immediately back into a 401k (tax-deferred) or mutual fund?
You have to pay taxes on the gains if you held the stock in a taxable account. Doesn't matter what you do with the money afterward.

Apple2Mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 04:32 PM

I'm goinf to sit tight atleast untill 07 before selling any aapl, this xmass season stands to be one of apples best ever.... It just has a very nice mix of iWant products...

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 06:22 PM

Argh. Over 88 now.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 07:21 PM

Could we be headed for another stock split?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 10:08 PM

I'm still holding as well.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Nov 21, 2006, 10:42 PM

I bought my AAPL at 24.6. I might as well keep holding onto it....

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2006, 01:41 AM

Eug lose! Good day sir!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2006, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Could we be headed for another stock split?
My guess is that this will happen when (not if) the price reaches just over $90. That's probably when I'll buy in.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2006, 03:33 AM

The last time it split was in Feb. or 05, so almost two years now, and the stock was around $85, so hopefully soon! I bought some when it was $68 and would like to see a split!!!!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2006, 04:43 AM

Why? Splits are meaningless as far as investment performance is concerned.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 22, 2006, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
Why? Splits are meaningless as far as investment performance is concerned.
That's not completely true. Psychologically, splits make some investors happy. There are some people out there that just won't buy stock over $100.

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2006, 08:56 AM

Plus, when it splits, the stock has no where to go but up from there, making me more money.

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2006, 08:57 AM

Where do you guys go to get after-hours details? I'm just using the apple stocks widget to keep up with the price...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2006, 10:38 AM

Tell that to Google... I'm sitting on half the AAPL position I had (sharewise) back in June. I cashed out and got back in, now wishing I had bought more... having said that, I've taken a portion of the gains I got from the Apple stuff and pumped a bit into Intel at their low a few months back so I can't complain either way.

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
That's not completely true. Psychologically, splits make some investors happy. There are some people out there that just won't buy stock over $100.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
Hm, my guess is those people are small potatoes in the investing world and won't affect the stock's performance much. Any effect those investors have on the stock's price probably would be short-lived. A split is not a reason to buy a stock, nothing has fundamentally changed if you buy one share at $X or 2 shares at $.5X.
( Last edited by itai195; Nov 22, 2006 at 03:15 PM. )

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2006, 03:17 PM

Hm, my guess is those people are small potatoes in the investing world and won't affect the stock's performance much. Any effect those investors have on the stock's price probably would be short-lived. A split is not a reason to buy a stock, nothing has fundamentally changed if you buy one share at $X or 2 shares at $.5X.
I agree with you, but if you're argument were completely true, then we'd have stock splits way less often.

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by legacyb4 View Post
Tell that to Google... I'm sitting on half the AAPL position I had (sharewise) back in June. I cashed out and got back in, now wishing I had bought more... having said that, I've taken a portion of the gains I got from the Apple stuff and pumped a bit into Intel at their low a few months back so I can't complain either way.
Well, AAPL didn't command the kind of reverence that Google does (and still doesn't, to some degree) until recently... Google is considered the frontrunner and innovator in it's particular market while still being relatively new to the game, and Apple had to prove time and time again that it is deserving of more respect than it gets, not to mention having to deal with competitors on both the hardware (Dell, HP, et. al.) and software (MS) sides of the market. To wall street, Google has already staked its claim in the market, while a lot of people are still a little wary of Apple for some reason.
-John Crichton

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2006, 03:37 PM

Stock splits are a good way of keeping a stock from appearing overvalued. The only folks who would buy into Apple early on were those who were extremely familiar with it and therefore had confidence in it. Wall Street has shied away from Apple for a long time, and a high-priced over-valued stock wouldn't help their image and growth in that regard.
-John Crichton

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2006, 03:40 PM

I don't think Wall Street is that naive. I agree that unsophisticated investors probably are that naive, but I don't think they have much long term impact on a stock's performance.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2006, 03:42 PM

We bought at $32.00 and have twice sold calls that were not excercised. Gotta love that! Have a call in for $88.00 that can be excercised in January. So, I hope it dips back down in the next month and a half. lol

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2006, 03:48 PM

I don't think Wall Street is that naive. I agree that unsophisticated investors probably are that naive, but I don't think they have much long term impact on a stock's performance.
Long term impact? Maybe yes, maybe no. However, I wasn't buying AAPL for the long term.

As for naivete, what about the entire tech stock bubble? The financials made no sense whatsoever, yet amateurs and Wall Street types alike were saying BUY BUY BUY!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
As for naivete, what about the entire tech stock bubble? The financials made no sense whatsoever, yet amateurs and Wall Street types alike were saying BUY BUY BUY!
The tech bubble was driven by people making naive short-term investing decisions. The day trading phenomenon came and went with it. And sure, Wall Street is amoral enough that they're not going to turn down an opportunity for massive profit when its staring them in the face. Anyway, that's changing the subject. My point is simply that a stock split is not a good reason to buy a stock.

That said, sure there may be a psychological bump in the short term. Plus some stocks just get into territory where ordinary individuals can't afford to own them and should probably split at that point (e.g. over $500/share). But these are purely artificial phenomena and have nothing to do with the stock's underlying value. Personally I wouldn't invest based on this kind of stuff, but to each his own.
( Last edited by itai195; Nov 22, 2006 at 04:06 PM. )

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2006, 12:13 PM

Now over $91.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2006, 12:17 PM

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything when I read the title of your thread. It's not that it was a terrible choice to sell at a 52 week high - the problem is that you sold before Christmas. That was your mistake. Apple will see 100 by year's end. Sorry to say it, Eug. On the bright side, Apple will sell off in the new year and you should be able to load up in the Spring.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Busemann
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2006, 01:37 PM

It's never a bad idea to take profit, but selling everything well over a month before MW doesn't make sense imho

Forum Links
Forum Rules