Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 43)
starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
I hate you.
A 20 GB PS3 just finished up on eBay for $730. The prices are dropping.

(and before goMac and Hawkeye follow up with fanboyisms, the Wii prices are dropping also)

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2006, 03:32 PM

Here is an easy way to get a PS3

Accept Jesus Christ and Get a Free Playstation 3

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2006, 03:32 PM

-50 DKP for bringing in Jesus.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
A 20 GB PS3 just finished up on eBay for $730. The prices are dropping.

(and before goMac and Hawkeye follow up with fanboyisms, the Wii prices are dropping also)
Not enough. May as well just get up at 5 in the morning and buy one tomorrow. (You know all the stores will suddenly find some that they had in the back.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2006, 09:44 AM

Hmm...can't change my vote. I voted for a Wii (which I got this morning), but now I'm also getting a 360 - managed to score one for $100 from Amazon yesterday.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2006, 09:51 AM

No Resistance launch screen report yet starman? I'm just wondering what the message looks like.

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Hmm...can't change my vote. I voted for a Wii (which I got this morning), but now I'm also getting a 360 - managed to score one for $100 from Amazon yesterday.
Sweet.

Some Canadians tried, but it's a US only deal.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2006, 10:52 AM

Impressive. I've never seen Amazon that slow. Even 5 minutes beforehand, it took 30 seconds or so to refresh the page. Then I refreshed at 1:59 and it was just gone. Amazon wouldn't load again for me until about 2:05, and it was obviously sold out by then. Oh well...

"I start fires!"

Ham Sandwich
Nov 24, 2006, 10:53 AM

Oh, so YOU'RE the one who crashed Amazon, eh?

I tried scoring one to do the drive firmware mod upon. Didn't want to take the chance with my current 360.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2006, 11:13 AM

Apparently the https:// address worked fine. I think I may have been using that one since I was already logged in.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2006, 02:35 PM

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2006, 09:43 PM

Haha. Is the seller required to sell it for that price?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2006, 10:34 PM

Heh:
Sony hates you.

Sony would love nothing more than to see you and your family suffer. Sony is like that psycho-ex who you had a few good times with, but was too clingy and the sex got boring. Now it's over and Sony is still stewing about it by leaving you voice mail asking for another chance and promising it "can change."

Tough **** Sony. We've moved on. We're dating your younger, hotter sister, Wii. Even your fuglier step-sister, Xbox 360, looks hotter than you do. At least she's been around the block a few times and knows how to turn tricks. You've got nothing, and it's going to stay that way until you stop being a crabby old ****.
I'm tired of Sony's bullshit

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2006, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
naw, he can just ignore the buyer.
we don't have time to stop for gas

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2006, 12:14 AM

Greatest GIF ever.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2006, 05:39 AM

One retailer here in Perth has a PS3 on demo and is importing them from japan on request. They had Ridge Racer 7 on demo.....

The improvements in visuals looked "marginal" to me....like the car models looks almost identical to the PS2 games ive seen. the only noticable difference i noticed in gam was the texture resolution and the draw distance.

I know ive been bashing Sony.... and i dont want to make it seem like this following comment is based off of bias...but, the controller really looked and felt cheap. I prefer the PS2 controller just cause of it's weight.

The spiderman font looks rediculious...but the shiny gloss black console looks quite slick vertically. apparently it's pretty heavy, but quiet.

In conclusion.... i know the PS2 was baught by many casual gamers, cause of it's sheer library....i dont think many of those customers will see the value in upgrading to the PS3. the PS2 will continue to sell due to it's momentum in the market place.... but dont expect many of the PS2 crowd to upgrade unless they already own or are planning to buy a HDTV set with the PS3. And knowing "casual" gamers, i doubt many would.

Cheers

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2006, 11:47 AM

The controller is light, not "cheap".

RR7 looks phenomenal on a GOOD TV.

You're bashing the FONT? Are you that friggin' DESPERATE you have to bash the FONT?

FYI: the font is called "1979"
1979 Font | dafont.com

Busemann
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
In conclusion.... i know the PS2 was baught by many casual gamers, cause of it's sheer library....i dont think many of those customers will see the value in upgrading to the PS3. the PS2 will continue to sell due to it's momentum in the market place.... but dont expect many of the PS2 crowd to upgrade unless they already own or are planning to buy a HDTV set with the PS3. And knowing "casual" gamers, i doubt many would.
I bet that once the PS3 drops enough in price and its library of games evolves, casual gamers will begin to buy it in hordes just like with the PSone & PS2. Casual gamers didn't really begin to pick up either until about 3-4 years into their lifecycles.. A, say, $249 PS3 with BluRay and a huge game library will be a mass market magnet 3-4 years from now.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann View Post
I bet that once the PS3 drops enough in price and its library of games evolves, casual gamers will begin to buy it in hordes just like with the PSone & PS2. Casual gamers didn't really begin to pick up either until about 3-4 years into their lifecycles.. A, say, $249 PS3 with BluRay and a huge game library will be a mass market magnet 3-4 years from now.
In a few years the PS3 will look good. Like you said, when the games are there and because it'll be a nice Blu-Ray player. But, in my opinion, this could be a problem too. What happens if HDDVD wins? There had better be some excellent games out for the PS3 because if BluRay loses then all the PS3 has going for it is games.

I'm probably going to pick up a PS2 sometime and get some of the games I missed out on. I'd like to play through Shadow of the Collosus again and God of War looks good.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 25, 2006, 12:34 PM

Top 20 sellers of the week at EB Games (Nov. 22 newsletter)

Xbox 360 (360)
WoW: Burning Crusade (PC)
Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player (360)
Castlevania: Portrait (DS)
Halo 3 Legendary Ed. (360)
Gears of War (360)
Medieval II: Total War (PC)
Coral Pink DS Lite (DS)
Rainbow Six: Vegas (360)
Onyx DS Lite (DS)
Final Fantasy XII CE (PS2)
Call of Duty 3 (MLT)
Final Fantasy III (DS)
Super Monkey: Banana (Wii)
PSP Entertainment Pack (PSP)
EverQuest II: Faydwer (PC)
Sonic the Hedgehog (360)
WWE Smackdown 07 (MLT)
Guitar Hero 2 (PS2)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (MLT)

Note that Gears of War sold 1 million copies worldwide in the first two weeks, and Halo 3 is also pretty popular.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2006, 01:32 PM

Good. Xbox 360 is selling well. So is an expansion pack for a game that is subscription based and not even out yet that everyone is going to have to upgrade to anyway. If anything THAT is impressive as a top-seller.

PC-games are doing very well compared to the insane console war at the moment which will be rendered useless in a couple of months time anyway.

God, I am really tired of this console war. I wish we just had one standard which everyone could develop for and make any sort of peripheral (wii) for and any sort of game. I hate consoles, I hate it!

It's worse than betamax vs VHS or Blu-ray vs HD-DVD. Because in the end we are all FCKING LOSERS!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2006, 01:38 PM

Good. Xbox 360 is selling well. So is an expansion pack for a game that is subscription based and not even out yet that everyone is going to have to upgrade to anyway. If anything THAT is impressive as a top-seller.
Actually, I'm a bit surprised that ISN'T the top seller, at least compared to the Xbox 360 console itself. It seems that the PS3 shortage may be pushing Xbox 360 sales.

However, I'm even more surprised that the HD DVD player for the 360 is selling better than every single console game on that list. It seems that Microsoft's strategy of leaving out the HD DVD player last year was a smart move. People are snapping up this $199 "accessory" a year later like there's no tomorrow.

Given PS3 shortages, it's also unsurprising to see that not a single PS3 game is in the top 20. One Wii game makes the list though.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
Actually, I'm a bit surprised that ISN'T the top seller, at least compared to the Xbox 360 console itself. It seems that the PS3 shortage may be pushing Xbox 360 sales.
I had to go buy a hard drive from Best Buy yesterday and they had a mountain of Xbox 360s (core and premium) up at the front of the store.
I guess with everyone looking for a console that is out of stock, seeing the 360 right there available, might be making them buy one.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2006, 02:06 PM

So…Monkey Ball is selling better than the Wii itself?
Chuck
___

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2006, 02:40 PM

Anyone know of any *good* video game forums? Preferably one that isn't populated by 13 year olds? I've been out of video games for a while, but now with a Wii and a 360 on the way I'm getting back into the swing of things.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
So…Monkey Ball is selling better than the Wii itself?
I wonder if a bunch of people pre-ordered Super Monkey and got their orders filled... without the Wii.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2006, 06:50 PM

Eh, the PS3 controller DOES feel cheap at first. It's because everyone is used to the weight of the Dual Shock, so when they pick up a PS3 controller, it feels kind of hollow and, yes...cheap. Of course it's anything but cheap, considering the technology that is required to make one, but the initial impression does fade with a little bit of time.

I used a friend's PS3 recently to play Resistance. The controller did kind of put a bad taste in my mouth, but it didn't take long before I got used to it. My friend said that he has gone beyond getting used to it, and actually loves it now.

I'm particularly fond of the new R2 and L2 "triggers." I'll be saving up for a PS3, but it'll be after I get an HDTV. In other words, it might be up to a year before I have one. Oh well...there should be plenty of good games out for it by then.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2006, 07:09 PM

The controller is light, not "cheap".

RR7 looks phenomenal on a GOOD TV.

You're bashing the FONT? Are you that friggin' DESPERATE you have to bash the FONT?

FYI: the font is called "1979"
1979 Font | dafont.com
No i said it felt cheap.

RR& was playing on a 50" HD display and i wasnt all that impressed.

And yeah im bashing a font. and no that doesnt make me "desperate"...that just shows i didnt like the font on the unit.

Thanks i'll keep 1979 in mind. it is the "spider man" font.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2006, 07:14 PM

Sony cannot confirm PS3 720p -> 1080i scaling can be added with a firmware fix

Sony has contacted us to let us know that they may have spoken a bit prematurely. SCEA's Dave Karraker, Sr. Director, Corporate Communications, informed GameDaily BIZ that they currently cannot confirm that this 1080i issue will be resolved via a firmware patch. The official line is now that they are "looking into the issue and haven't stated any actions that will be taken regarding it."

PS3 hacking has begun

Console hacking enthusiasts have already taken the first steps towards making the PS3 backup friendly, installing LINUX and using it to dump a 7.08GB ISO file from Madden 07 onto an external hard drive. Pool Boy over at PS3News points out that this is exactly how the PSP backup scene got started, and that the PS3 file structure closely resembles the one used in PlayStation Portable games.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Nov 25, 2006 at 07:45 PM. )

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2006, 08:23 PM

I call the damn thing the Spiderman 3.

I have no idea what would possess Sony to use a font with such an obvious recognizability unless they thought it might propel sales through association.

Either way, its lame.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2006, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
I call the damn thing the Spiderman 3.

I have no idea what would possess Sony to use a font with such an obvious recognizability unless they thought it might propel sales through association.

Either way, its lame.
I would've preferred a simpler logo spelling out "PS3" using a, shall we say, less Spidermany font. Anything. Who knows...maybe they'll make a smaller, cooler one in a few years like they did with the slimline PS2s, which I loved.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2006, 01:26 AM

Yeah by then 3/4 years from now, ill probably have an HD-TV, and hopefully both the XB360 and PS3 would be made smalle and cheaper...and by then the HD-DVD vs BR-DVD wars will be over and my decision would ensure a HD drive that will be supported. Oh and by then the prices *should* come down.

Sony keeps touting that the PS3 will last for 10 years. thats pretty stupid in my opinion, cause 5 years from now when M$ and Nintendo release their next system, it'll definately be more powerful than the PS3, and probably for the same prices the XB and Wii are now anyway. I think anyone who invests in technology doesnt expect it to last 10 years, and the upgrade cycle is usually 4- years anyway, so why spend more now ? doesnt make sence to me anyway.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Nov 26, 2006 at 04:24 AM. )

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2006, 01:34 AM

Technically yes...per the eBay rules. Will they? No way in hell. Why? No punishment will incur.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 26, 2006, 03:56 AM

So starman, since you're neutral in this discussion and definitely not a fanboy (ahem) is there anything you don't like about the PS3?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2006, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Who knows...maybe they'll make a smaller, cooler one in a few years like they did with the slimline PS2s, which I loved.
I'm sure they will. I'm still in awe that the new PS2 is the size a thin book (Though it helps it doesn't have the expansion bay for the HD).

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2006, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
So starman, since you're neutral in this discussion and definitely not a fanboy (ahem) is there anything you don't like about the PS3?
Show me where I'm a Sony fanboy, please. I haven't made ONE remark saying so. You do recall I got my PS3 because I called the store looking for a Wii, RIGHT?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 26, 2006, 04:42 AM

I just find it interesting how you can call other people fanboys while bashing the Wii and breathlessly praising everything about the PS3. If you like one console better than the other, fine. But please don't call other people biased while you do exactly the same thing they're doing.

I was seriously asking that question, though. Is there anything you don't like about the PS3?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 26, 2006, 05:08 AM

Interesting article here:

Holiday shopping takes off on the Web - Nov. 25, 2006

Other popular items on eBay included Sony's PlayStation 3 - 14,675 have been sold on eBay for an average price of $1,186.39 from Nov. 17 to Nov. 24 - and the Nintendo Wii. Since that product debuted on Nov. 19, 26,708 have been sold for an average price of $412.53.
Obviously this is partially due to there being more Wiis available and its lower MSRP, but I had the idea that more PS3s had been sold on eBay than Wiis, when in fact the Wii has sold around 12,000 more. I also wouldn't have expected to see the Wii getting such a high average price. I wonder how they figured it out, though, since so many people include extras like controllers or games.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2006, 05:33 AM

That isn't such a high price. Watching Amazon the past few days, $400 seems to be the average price for a Wii with no bundle.
Chuck
___

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2006, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
I'm sure they will. I'm still in awe that the new PS2 is the size a thin book (Though it helps it doesn't have the expansion bay for the HD).
I was seriously considering one of these sexy, slim PS2s myself, but decided I would go with GameCube games since I was getting a Wii anyhow, and I prefer to stick to one console at a time, since I'm not that big of a gamer.

I have thought of getting a PS3 sometime in the future, because it really does offer something different than the Wii, but that will probably be at least two or three years down the line, so there's no sense worrying about it now.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2006, 11:29 AM

PS3's Gran Turismo HD in 1080p pix

Looks very good.

However, my guess is that while it's rendered by the PS3, it's not during actual gameplay. They're "intermission pix" as it were.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2006, 12:05 PM

I just find it interesting how you can call other people fanboys while bashing the Wii and breathlessly praising everything about the PS3. If you like one console better than the other, fine. But please don't call other people biased while you do exactly the same thing they're doing.

I was seriously asking that question, though. Is there anything you don't like about the PS3?
Looking through the last TEN PAGES I have yet to find one post where I do that. I love how the Wii fanboys lie about the PS3 though. Nobody calls them on that. Funny.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 26, 2006, 12:18 PM

Looking through the last TEN PAGES I have yet to find one post where I do that. I love how the Wii fanboys lie about the PS3 though. Nobody calls them on that. Funny.
Yeah, when you start calling people "liars" and "fanboys" it makes me think that you may not be 100% impartial.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2006, 12:47 PM

Yeah, when you start calling people "liars" and "fanboys" it makes me think that you may not be 100% impartial.
So by correcting the fanboys' remarks, that makes me a fanboy myself?

Great logic.

They even admitted being fanboys long ago, so I don't understand the problem.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2006, 01:08 PM

Anyway, what don't I like about it.

Not much. It's a damn rock solid device. You can turn it on with the controller, PS1 games play flawlessly. My PS2 games work fine too, but there's some odd video noise with it. I'm still looking into why. Audio is very, VERY nice. I'm actually having a hard time finding something wrong with it. Maybe the heat issue, but the 360 has the same problem.

Blu-Ray is MUCH faster than my Samsung player. I like that I don't have to have the controller plugged in to control the movie.

I got a card reader since I bought a 20GB machine. It worked perfectly. Slideshows work fine. The OS couldn't find the movies on the card, but I suspect a system upgrade will fix that. I would have liked to play music while the slide show runs, but I think an OS upgrade will fix that also.

The store is barren, and the download seemed slow.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2006, 01:13 PM

So by correcting the fanboys' remarks, that makes me a fanboy myself?
Using such hostile terms when discussing a video game system kind of does look that way, yeah. Generally, the only people who call others "fanboys" are fanboys in the opposite camp.
Chuck
___

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 26, 2006, 01:27 PM

PS1 games play flawlessly.
I heard that the PS3 doesn't improve the display of PS1 games like the PS2 did. Does that seem to be the case? (In other words, have you compared the same game running on the PS2 with it running on the PS3?)

I like that I don't have to have the controller plugged in to control the movie.
The controller has to be physically plugged in (not wireless)? In any case, I would be getting the remote whenever it comes out, since I can't stand the PS2-style DVD controls.

I'm very interested to find out if the 20GB model can use wireless via a USB device, since like you I also want to try the PSP connectivity.

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Sony keeps touting that the PS3 will last for 10 years. thats pretty stupid in my opinion, cause 5 years from now when M$ and Nintendo release their next system, it'll definately be more powerful than the PS3, and probably for the same prices the XB and Wii are now anyway. I think anyone who invests in technology doesnt expect it to last 10 years, and the upgrade cycle is usually 4- years anyway, so why spend more now ? doesnt make sence to me anyway.
The PS3 will be supported for 10 years. They stopped making PS1 stuff (controllers, memory cards, etc) a year or so, and the PS2 will be supported for a few more years. The PS4 will still come out in 5-6 years.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2006, 01:42 PM

No, the controller doesn't have to be plugged in to control the movie. Having the controller plugged in is optional, and necessary when charging it.

No, it doesn't improve PS1 games at all. They don't look worse, but they don't look better either.

As for the PSP, streaming to the PSP, it's something I didn't know about when I got the 20GB unit. Now I'm kinda ticked I didn't get the 60, but a 60 wasn't available. Sony DID say that you'd be able to do it from "anywhere in the world" at some point.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2006, 05:25 PM

As for the PSP, streaming to the PSP, it's something I didn't know about when I got the 20GB unit. Now I'm kinda ticked I didn't get the 60, but a 60 wasn't available. Sony DID say that you'd be able to do it from "anywhere in the world" at some point.

Can't you just exchange your 20 for the 60 when they get it?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Can't you just exchange your 20 for the 60 when they get it?
It depends on when one comes in. If it's after 30 days, then no.

Forum Links
Forum Rules