Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Movie Battles II (Jedi Academy mod)

Movie Battles II (Jedi Academy mod)
Scooterboy
Senior User
Jun 20, 2006, 10:28 PM

The trailers to this mod look amazing! Movie Battles II is a Jedi Academy mod that overwrites the multi-player game with new maps, models, completely changed sabering system with active, manual blocking and required precision for a true Star Wars films Jedi action (no more run-jump-hack-run-run-run), and apparently space battles?

I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it. Either for Windows or for Mac (they do have Mac files ).

MovieBattles.com
( Last edited by Scooterboy; Jun 20, 2006 at 10:54 PM. )
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Scooterboy  (op)
Senior User
Jun 22, 2006, 08:01 PM

Maybe I'm just late to the game and everyone here's known about this for a while. I searched the forum and found no mention of Movie Battles. So I thought I'd post my experiences so far.

I downloaded Build 17 and installed it. There's no installer for Mac, just a .zip file with the files and folders and a readme explaining where to put stuff. At first I couldn't figure out how to run the mod, but found out that you launch it from the menus of Jedi Academy Multi Player.

There was an earlier version of Movie Battles for Jedi Knight II: Jed Outcast. The current versions are for Jedi Academy. The maps are spacious and sumptious. Character models are detailed, new animations are cool. I loaded a solo game to try out the new saber moves. They take some getting used to. Then I joined a game in progress.

All the normal multiplayer games are playable, but if you search of Movie Battles games online, there are a fair number of active servers with plenty of action. The Movie Battles are task based, for instance, trying to load frozen Han onto Boba Fett's ship if you side with the Imperials, or trying to save Han if you side with the Rebels. Tasks usually take 5 minutes to complete. Points are tallied up for kills, objectives met, and those left alive. There are limited character class types available ('cause there were already enough Jedi and Mandalorians, so I went in as a stormtrooper and had a blast getting killed! You can play as a Storm Trooper, Clone Trooper, Jedi (Luke, Annekin, Obi Wan (Padawan, Knight, Old Ben), Sith (Darth Maul, Darth Vader, Darth Tyrannus, dark Jedi, Reborn, etc), Imperial Officer, Madalorian, Rebel troop, really almost any character from the games or movies as long as the server allows it. It's totally different from JA. Like a whole new game. For free.

Build 18 is due sometime this summer! Best online gaming I've done, and I'm only beginning.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Forum Links
Forum Rules