Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any of these programs available for Mac OSX?

Any of these programs available for Mac OSX?
applesbiggestfan
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2008, 09:38 AM

Hey everybody I'm turning Mac. I've had my PC for 4 years and I'm getting a Macbook. And I just wanted to ask about many of my critical programs.
Can Mac OSX run:

Frostwire
DAEMON Tools Lite
Endorphin LE
Adobe Premiere OR Adobe Vegas
Halo 2
Steam
Counter-Strike: Source

Thanks.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2008, 10:21 AM

There is a Mac version of Frostwire. For the rest, why don't you check the developer's websites yourself?

Also, the Mac is very powerful. It's the only computer on the planet that isn't limited to specific software. You can run any OS and any software under those OSs. So if you have a need for a Windows only title, run Windows!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2008, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by applesbiggestfan View Post
Hey everybody I'm turning Mac. I've had my PC for 4 years and I'm getting a Macbook. And I just wanted to ask about many of my critical programs.
Can Mac OSX run:
Frostwire: Yes, but there are better options.
DAEMON Tools Lite: No, but there are some limited alternatives.
Endorphin LE: No.
Adobe Premiere OR Adobe Vegas: Yes.
Halo 2: No.
Steam: No.
Counter-Strike: Source: No.

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Also, the Mac is very powerful. It's the only computer on the planet that isn't limited to specific software. You can run any OS and any software under those OSs.
Oh please; the only difference between a Mac and any generic PC is the ability to run OS X due to intentional limitations of OS X. It's not like a Mac can run the current release of AIX.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2008, 12:01 PM

FrostWire yes, the rest no. There are ways to make the Mac run Windows programs, ranging from Boot Camp (which lets you install Windows on your mac) to Crossover (which lets Windows programs run natively like Mac programs). Premiere used to be available for Mac, but Adobe killed it because everybody preferred Final Cut Pro anyway.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

applesbiggestfan  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2008, 07:21 AM

Great, thanks.

okay most of those programs don't work on a Mac... which moves me a bit more to a Sony VAIO Z or a Sony VAIO SR.

They can run all of those and more than a Mac... and have better processors.

Hmmm... I don't know what to choose.

Anyways, thanks guys.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2008, 07:45 AM

You can run all PC programs on a Mac if you need them, simply install XP or Vista. Problem solved.

If you really need to buy a PC laptop, don't buy a VAIO, get a ThinkPad. As far as better processors go, in a recent test the MBP outperformed all comers running a Vista installation.

The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year (through 10/25/07) is a Mac. Try that again: The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year--or for that matter, ever--is a Mac. Not a Dell, not a Toshiba, not even an Alienware. The $2419 (plus the price of a copy of Windows Vista, of course) MacBook Pro's PC WorldBench 6 Beta 2 score of 88 beats Gateway's E-265M by a single point, but the MacBook's score is far more impressive simply because Apple couldn't care less whether you run Windows.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2008, 07:56 AM

^ What he said.

Best of both worlds - no need to deal with the annoyances and frustrations of Windows for the stuff that actually matters in your life, and you still have Winders there for gaming. Downside is that the MacBook is not an option if you want to game - you need to be looking at the MacBook Pro, in any case.

applesbiggestfan  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2008, 11:27 AM

I don't want to pay so much for Windows Vista.

I just know that the VAIO has higher tech specs and more inputs than the Macbook. and it is lighter.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Also, the Mac is very powerful. It's the only computer on the planet that isn't limited to specific software. You can run any OS and any software under those OSs.!
thats not entirely accurate. Almost any computer can run any OS, including MacOS, many of which are at least as powerful as a Mac. The only difference is that Apple is the only OS developer that places license restrictions on the type of computer they allow you to install MacOS on.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2008, 01:33 PM

Great, thanks.

okay most of those programs don't work on a Mac... which moves me a bit more to a Sony VAIO Z or a Sony VAIO SR.

They can run all of those and more than a Mac... and have better processors.

Hmmm... I don't know what to choose.

Anyways, thanks guys.
Get the Sony. It sounds like that will suit your needs better than a Mac. You'll also end up with more power for your dollar right now. If you really want OSX, you can install Mac-like themes onto Windows or you can partition your drive and install MacOS beside your Windows installation.

BreadRecipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2008, 01:56 PM

Certainly you can run Windows in Boot Camp, but are you going to be using OS X for any specific reason; or are you just using it to run Windows? If you're just getting it because it's a swell machine, I'd say get a Sager. Great, reliable, affordable notebooks for many purposes. You can get a Sager with better specs for much less.
/sudo apt-get upgrade checking account balance <enter>...?

www.Failblog.org

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Premiere used to be available for Mac, but Adobe killed it because everybody preferred Final Cut Pro anyway.
They brought it back to the Mac with CS3.
Vandelay Industries

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
As far as better processors go, in a recent test the MBP outperformed all comers running a Vista installation.
Ugh, this fairy tale is still going around? In the same issue of PC World they benchmarked another PC laptop that outperformed the MBP.

applesbiggestfan  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2008, 03:54 PM

okay... I LOVE macs and OSX, but at the same time the VAIOs have more inputs, outputs, and speed than the Macbook.. or even the Macbook Pro. And they are compatible with almost any software and I am familiar with the UI...

I'll go try them both at a shop and see what I like.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2008, 04:44 PM

okay... I LOVE macs and OSX, but at the same time the VAIOs have more inputs, outputs, and speed than the Macbook.. or even the Macbook Pro. And they are compatible with almost any software and I am familiar with the UI...
If you don't want Mac OS X, then go by specs. Just don't fall for the old "list of connectors" sales trick, because realistically, most of those are going to be irrelevant to you in real life.

For most of us here, Mac OS X is THE primary reason for their choice of computer brand. And frankly, I wouldn't WANT a Windows PC, not for ten horses.

Were I a gamer, I'd probably have an XBox or a Wii, instead.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2008, 05:12 PM

Somehow I doubt you're Apple's "biggest fan."

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

BreadRecipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Somehow I doubt you're Apple's "biggest fan."
Heh. Win
/sudo apt-get upgrade checking account balance <enter>...?

www.Failblog.org

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2008, 06:54 PM

If counter strike and halo are critical enough programs that they'd sway your computer choice then a mac probably isn't for you.

However if you are currently running a 1.4ghz PC and are happy with the game performance then I'd say a macbook would probably be able to run CS:S and halo just fine for you under crossover.

Forum Links
Forum Rules