Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Stargate Universe

Stargate Universe
Ice33
Oct 11, 2009, 02:02 AM

What is this show?

I am only about 45 minutes into the first episode and I want to throw something at the TV. It is like they let the producers and staff from Battlestar Galactica create a new pilot and somewhere after they wrote the script and made the sets someone had the bright idea of making part of the Stargate franchise.

The whole thing wreaks of BSG rather than anything remotely Stargate. Its too dark and it takes itself too seriously. The tongue in cheek attitude that SG1 or Atlantis had allowed it to have broader appeal and gave storylines a less weighty feeling that was more science fiction rather than drama.

I am not saying that Stargate Universe is a poorly made show or that some people won't like it but I think that it would have been better off divorcing itself from the Stargate premise and just stood alone as a new franchise. As it is now Stargate Universe goes against everything that made the other two shows worth watching.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2009, 02:07 AM

I liked it. There was a lot of things I did not like about the other stargates and this one seems to be a much more "grown up" story. Gritty and more realistic... but we will see where the story line goes...

-Zach

Ice33  (op)
Oct 11, 2009, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz View Post
I liked it. There was a lot of things I did not like about the other stargates and this one seems to be a much more "grown up" story. Gritty and more realistic... but we will see where the story line goes...
And how many seasons did they get out the Stargate shows that had the things you didn't like? That lack of realism and dramatic acting was why I think it had such a following. It must have filled some gap that made people want to watch it for so many years.

Gritty spaceship dramas are the new trend. This is the 3rd such show that follows that genera in as many months. Virtuality, Defying Gravity, and now this. All this before Caprica joins in. They will cancel each other out.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2009, 02:34 AM

I liked Virtuality, actually. I expected not to.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2009, 02:37 AM

Funny you mention defying gravity, I am watching "eve ate the apple" right now.

I think the lack of drama was the realistic allure to it. we are bombarded by fake drama all day long in all the "reality shows" (Which I DETEST!)

but trying to analyze why nerds like their shows is a lost cause... I dont really know why I like the shows I like!

-Zach

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2009, 04:27 AM

Everybody I know was more excited about this show than any of the previous Stargates. Personally, this is the first one I've actually made any effort to watch (well, OK, I gave Atlantis a chance later on for Jewel Staite). Yes, Stargate SG-1 had a lot of seasons. So what? Lately, Stargate has just been getting repeatedly canceled at an increasing pace. Clearly that formula is not working so well for them these days. So they want to incorporate elements that people (probably including the Stargate creators themselves) liked in other series of the same kind.

I mean, if this were some matter of artistic integrity or something, I might see your point. But you're essentially complaining that this series isn't fluffy and goofy enough, and I don't think the Stargate creators were ever consciously standing up for that — it just happened to be a tone that they found worked for the other series.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Thorzdad
Oct 11, 2009, 10:15 AM

I'm on the fence right now with SG-U. I'm seeing some things that make me roll my eyes...Eli smacks of being the "Dr. McKay, but as a fat kid" character, and is already wearing very very very thin. Dr. Rush is far too "Baltar" for my taste, too. And I hope like hell they do something to curb the heavy military control of everything real soon, or the thing is going to feel more like "Starship Troopers with deep personal issues". Don't get me wrong...I certainly don't want this show to camp it up. But, I also don't want to see it fly to the other end of the spectrum, where everyone is "damaged" and we have to endure their angst and emotional baggage in every frame. I know it's the trendy thing to do, but it really can render a show unwatchable...or, at least, very painful to endure.

The use of the ancient stones in the last episode was really cool, though. Good use of established SG tech. It also creates an interesting point to the plot in that they are, essentially, marooned, yet still in close contact with home.

It's only two episodes in (well...technically 3). So, it's too early to give it a final grade. I'll keep watching.

Cold Warrior
Oct 11, 2009, 10:31 AM

I like the setting -- space ship w/ a stargate. Mobility has a better chance of keeping things from stagnating. But like Thorz said, there's a lot of personal baggage right now. The first two eps blasted it like from a firehose but toned down 1/3 into ep 3.

I'm enjoying it so far but am worried it'll be a BSG clone.

Ice33  (op)
Oct 11, 2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
you're essentially complaining that this series isn't fluffy and goofy enough, and I don't think the Stargate creators were ever consciously standing up for that — it just happened to be a tone that they found worked for the other series.
My gripe with it is that its yet another show trying to be Battlestar Galactica. There is nothing wrong with BSG. It was innovative and successful. However, I do not think that just because it worked well for one show that every other studio out there should be taking their scifi shows and remake them in BSG's image. The shaky camera work and lighting in the pilot was too reminiscent for my tastes.

You are right in thinking that if more of the same wasn't working out then why continue along those lines but from these first 3 episode I feel it is more of the same, just of a different show. I don't think yet another scifi drama -slash- space soap is new and refreshing when that seems to be all that is being produced now. If the pilot had borrowed ideas from other shows and made them their own but kept it in the vein of previous Stargate shows that would have been one thing but it instead just ripped off the entire look of other's recent work. So in what's looking like a crowded field this year for scifi shows SGU does just blend in.

Also just as much a part of my dislike can be attributed to how unlikable a large portion of the characters are and the plot feeling sluggish. I would be much happier with more action and less emoting. There's a chance it will end up being a good show but I haven't seen anything that will save it from being canceled midway through its second season so far.
( Last edited by Ice33; Oct 11, 2009 at 11:07 AM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2009, 02:57 PM

I don't know, I watched it last night and I liked it.

Keep in mind I HATED Stargate because of the entire feel of the series. They got so bogged down in story in the other shows, and technobable, and the fluffiness... I like having unlikable characters, and not everything being so twisted. It being like BSG is a very good thing IMO.

We'll see. I'm not holding my breath. It's entirely possible that the moment they introduce aliens that the entire series will go off the deep end. As long as they can keep it a personal drama and not an overly elaborate and unnecessarily complicated space opera about saving Earth from some new alien race using ancient technology that happens to be conveniently buried on someplace the humans occupy (because humans are #1 important!), I'll be happy.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ice33 View Post
So in what's looking like a crowded field this year for scifi shows SGU does just blend in.
Crowded field? What other shows like it are on this season? V? Caprica? FlashForward? Dollhouse? They're all near-future earthbound series.

Also just as much a part of my dislike can be attributed to how unlikable a large portion of the characters are and the plot feeling sluggish.
I agree with that. I haven't watched the latest episode yet, but in the previous one, the only character I liked was Rush, and they didn't really take the opportunity to bring up any interesting ongoing stories (contrast with Galactica, where the first episode ended with the reveal that Boomer is a freakin' Cylon).

I would be much happier with more action and less emoting.
Eh, I dunno. If I wanted to see mindless action with no human element, I could just rent anything by Michael Bay.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2009, 10:04 AM

I like SGU so far. It does seem slow at times but I do like the tone, even though it seem like a BSG knockoff at times. That said, to be a good Stargate show doesn't mean it has to clone previous Stargate shows.

P.S. I don't understand WTF is up with Defying Gravity. It has some interesting elements, but then this forced 90210 aspect to it overrides all. I think they're trying to attract the 90210 crowd but are failing miserably, and are alienating the sci-fi crowd at the same time. Oh and Dollhouse is on the verge of losing me forever too. So that just leaves me with Stargate Universe.

lexapro
Baninated
Oct 12, 2009, 10:13 AM

The acting is not what it was in the other SG series. Also, the new uniform suck. Lastly, they are trying too hard and Eli is being overly sarcastic. It sucks so far.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2009, 10:17 AM

The acting in the other Stargate series certainly wasn't great, so I'm a little befuddled as to why you're commenting on the quality of SGU's acting. Now if you're talking about the tone of the acting, that's different.

I see no problem with the uniforms.

I do like Eli, but I suspect he'll be toned down over the next few episodes. I keep thinking though he'll gate to a new planet and find his ex-boyfriend, and they'll do a fashion makeover episode.

Thorzdad
Oct 12, 2009, 11:25 AM

So...on the last episode...
Did they leave behind those two who gated off the desert planet? Or did they manage to gate back to the ship from wherever they were? And, are we to assume that the shuttle that took off from the ship at the end was the one containing the dead senator?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2009, 12:05 PM

BTW, I think Air had the best cinematic look of any of the Stargate episodes to date.

P.S. I hope they do something substantial with Greer soon. His psychoness already is already wearing thin.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2009, 06:07 PM

I'm quite happy with Stargate Universe so far. It does have a bit of humour, but it's not dominated by it.

Out of all the Sci-Fi shows I've been watching recently, Stargate Universe is probably at the top of the list for me:

Stargate Universe
Fringe
Flash Forward
Supernatural
Eureka
Sanctuary
Defying Gravity
Dollhouse

Cold Warrior
Oct 26, 2009, 06:37 PM

supernatural has taken abrupt deviations from the lucifer plot, which has made it less interesting of late.

I have also been satisfied with SGU. Not a fan of the cam confessionals, but they didn't beat it to death last episode.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2009, 10:25 PM

Yeah, the cam confessionals weren't the greatest, but I did like the sun story around it, even though I thought it was a little bit predictable.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2009, 12:36 AM

It reminds me of Sliders more than anything else. Well, Sliders mixed with a little BSG...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2009, 08:05 PM

I was a little timid at first because so many said SGU was some sort of a BSG «clone». Finally I checked this out, watched the first 6 episodes straight and enjoyed it very much!

Other than some choices of cinematography, it is nothing like BSG - SGU doesn't suck you see and doesn't take itself too seriously. Just right.

I thought there was a lack of a good lead character, Robert Carlyle can't hold the entire series on his shoulders and needs good sidekicks. The actor who plays Eli is pretty entertaining though.

It was good to see Richard Dean Anderson again as O'Neal. I miss Dr. McKay though. SG-A was very well cast.

This promises to be a pretty entertaining show. And make no mistake: this is Stargate. It may look darker and grittier, but no. This is Stargate
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2009, 10:33 PM

The one thing I hated about the first two episodes was editing. You almost couldn't tell what was happening when.

Ice33  (op)
Nov 4, 2009, 03:58 AM

It is still painfully slow. They are fortunate not to be a network show because they would have been canceled by now on any other station. Too much drama not enough action.

And the plot point that I can't forgive is how the characters always remind us how none of them are qualified to do one thing or another on the ship but in spite of their need for help the only person they channeled with the crystals is Labamba.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2009, 09:22 AM

And the plot point that I can't forgive is how the characters always remind us how none of them are qualified to do one thing or another on the ship but in spite of their need for help the only person they channeled with the crystals is Labamba.
Ugh, tell me about it... Why don't they use the crystals to send Sam or McKay to The Destiny to repair some of the damn failing systems?

dzp111
Senior User
Nov 4, 2009, 05:13 PM

After watching the first show I stumbled on a review that said that SGU was a Grey's Anatomy version of a sci-fi series. I've yet to see that although the soap-operish dramas that are there are to be expected, I imagine. It kills time.

As for the story line, I can't imagine flying blind across the universe without control. I guess that's why I'm enjoying it.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2009, 02:34 AM

Last episode was very good! Interesting plot, though I suspect the ending isn't going to be so dark..

.. that was pretty nasty!

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2009, 04:37 AM

this show is picking up nicely...

the one thing this show will probably struggle with is that its about characters and not so much the situations (like the old stargate shows)

although it will only be a struggle for the people who expect it to be similar to the older shows.

-Zach

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2009, 02:50 PM

I've been giving the show a chance, but still haven't found a reason to like it (my wife likes it, so it's on - whatever). I don't mind when a show is slow if it makes up for it in other areas, but the "other areas" are tedious. I hate that they can go home (mentally) whenever they want, but instead of a respite from their possibly doomed journey, it's worse. Or at least, it's portrayed as worse. And no way I'd let Lou Diamond Philips back on my ship after the bs he pulls whenever he's there.

If I were in charge, I'd also consider putting that scientist in the brig and put math-boy in charge. At least he doesn't lie about fake planets. How does the saying go? You can't have 2 roosters in the same henhouse.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2009, 08:07 PM

As it happens, my parents have a henhouse with two roosters. It works pretty much the same way as in SG:U - one dominates the other.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2009, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Out of all the Sci-Fi shows I've been watching recently, Stargate Universe is probably at the top of the list for me:

Stargate Universe
Fringe
Flash Forward
Supernatural
Eureka
Sanctuary
Defying Gravity
Dollhouse
Stargate Universe
Supernatural
Dollhouse
Sanctuary

I had to cancel my initial recording of Flash Forward due to DVR scheduling, so never got the chance to start watching it. How is it?
I also watched Eureka, but in the end found it only mildly entertaining sometimes.
Supernatural really was irking me with its complete disregard to the storyline and all of the filler episodes. Now, usually those become fan favorites, and fillers from previous seasons were quite good, but these were getting in the way of the apocalypse!!! Now that last episode, that was a good, very sad one...

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
It reminds me of Sliders more than anything else. Well, Sliders mixed with a little BSG...
Sliders!

But I'm not sure I see the similarities...
( Last edited by Mac User #001; Nov 23, 2009 at 12:08 PM. )
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2009, 12:04 PM

Flash Forward is OK. It does have more "drama" than other sci-fi shows, but at least it is done fairly well (unlike Defying Gravity). The acting is also significantly better than many sci-fi shows, and the production values are excellent.

I just hope they don't end up going around and around in circles after running out of ideas at the end of the first season... like what happened with Heroes.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Why don't they use the crystals to send Sam or McKay to The Destiny to repair some of the damn failing systems?
Indeed.

Originally Posted by Big-C View Post
If I were in charge, I'd also consider putting that scientist in the brig and put math-boy in charge. At least he doesn't lie about fake planets.
It was alluded to in an early episode, that math-boy doesn't really understand the complexities of the ancient tech to anywhere the same level as Rush, even though he learns very quickly and may even be superior to Rush when it comes to some types of math.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2009, 02:17 PM

Tried to like it, really did, but as people have said, it is just feels like a cheap BSG knockoff to me. Very sad, as up to now I liked the SG franchise a lot, but this leaves me underwhelmed.

TPC

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2009, 08:02 AM

I'm a bit confused as to what happened between the last two episodes, «Time» and «Life»...

Cold Warrior
Dec 4, 2009, 11:07 PM

Wow, a good ep. Really intense, and they've set up a potential great side story with Rush out there like that.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2009, 11:57 AM

Well, I thought they were trying just a little bit too hard to be edgy. I'll accept the turn, but this kind of reminds me of why found BSG irritating at times.

Ice33  (op)
Dec 5, 2009, 01:07 PM

It took half a season but at least they had an episode that wasn't about the lack of food, power or the personal baggage the characters have back home.

The series has been dragging so slowly that the mere suggestion of a second alien species is the high point of plot developments for me.

Ice33  (op)
Apr 24, 2010, 05:55 AM

So I thought the first two episodes of the second half of the season were the best so far. The third was okay as it opened up a new plot tangent but this latest one while necessary to advance the story was boring and made worse because the ending was similar to the one before that.
My conclusion is that the quality of the show goes up with the speed with which it moves along and so far coincides with the amount of alien/outside enemies in the episodes.
The show could still do without the grays anatomy soundtack.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2010, 09:01 PM

I'm glad to see the turn of events, because it will change the dynamics of the show. I'm surprised it's taken the writers this long to do this.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2010, 01:02 AM

I like the show, but then again Voyager was my favorite Star Trek. The show is Voyageresque.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Cold Warrior
Apr 25, 2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I'm glad to see the turn of events, because it will change the dynamics of the show. I'm surprised it's taken the writers this long to do this.
Yeah, I was not expecting Friday's turn. I kept expecting Rush to wake up, unlock the ship and either stop it or beam them up -- although do we even know if Destiny has a transporter? I suppose they could always leave it vague and unanswered to write it in later if wanted.

I imagine that from here they'll run a lot of split shows with Destiny and the team left behind. Not sure where the plot goes with the the left-behind group. Maybe a Survivor-type arc or light Survivor followed by more aliens until Destiny gets turned around. It'd be weird to write out so many major characters for a long time.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2010, 11:32 AM

Actually, that's not what I meant. I wasn't sure if they were going to end the show like they did, or like you expected. I was 50/50 on that.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 17, 2010, 02:02 PM

GateWorld � Syfy cancels Stargate Universe after two seasons

*Sigh*

The way Syfy has handled FarScape, SG1, SGA, BSG, Caprica and SGU has me thinking they really have no idea what to do with a franchise.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Thorzdad
Dec 17, 2010, 02:27 PM

To be fair, SG1 had pretty-much run out of steam after 10 seasons, and even RDA was ready to end it. SyFy allowed it to die a more-or-less honorable death. The others, though, I completely agree with you on. I could quibble a bit about Farscape, in that I personally feel it had gone off the tracks in the last half of its run, having become an hour-long ordeal of screaming and paranoia. When it died, I regretted more losing what it could have been and did not regret losing what it was. To me, it was a mercy killing.

SGA, BSG, Caprica, SGU...they all had the smell of death upon them. SGA managed to soldier on relatively well, though, mainly because it retained some of the campy fun that SG1 had. The others, though, had none of that.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2010, 03:09 PM

I haven't seen SGU because I don't want SG1 and SGA to be tarnished.
But is it in the miserable greyed-out style of BSG, trying too hard to be grim and introspective?
The nothings are nearly over, time for a new decade, one with colours and sparkle, one with more cowbell.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2010, 03:28 PM

Personally I really like SGU, and am glad they did what I hoped for in this post. It came too late IMO though.

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
To be fair, SG1 had pretty-much run out of steam after 10 seasons, and even RDA was ready to end it.
I thought it ran out of steam after Richard Dean Anderson left (8th season).

SGA, BSG, Caprica, SGU...they all had the smell of death upon them. SGA managed to soldier on relatively well, though, mainly because it retained some of the campy fun that SG1 had. The others, though, had none of that.
I was annoyed with BSG after about the 2nd or 3rd season. I though the first season was awesome though.
I gave up on Caprica after just a few episodes.

bstone
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2010, 04:10 PM

When is the next SGU episode?
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2010, 05:59 PM

Well this sucks. Right when the show was finally starting to pick up. It definitely wasn't my favorite Stargate franchise ... but I'm certainly more perturbed by this being cancelled than I was Caprica.

OAW

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2010, 02:49 PM

SGu was starting to grow on me. well now we're stuck with ghost hunters and sysfy originals every other hour on scifi..... guess no more scifi for me for a while.

Cold Warrior
Dec 18, 2010, 03:01 PM

Damn it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules