Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iphone 4 won't connect to home wifi, will connect to office, GFs iphone will connect

iphone 4 won't connect to home wifi, will connect to office, GFs iphone will connect
dubbyaP:OW
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2010, 12:56 PM

This will be long winded because of the specific nature of the issue. Thanks in advance to everyone.

6 months ago I jailbroke my iphone 1 (first gen iphone, running 3.2 and change. I've seen it called a hundred different things, hopefully that clarifies), prior to the jailbreak, my iphone 1 connected to my wifi with no issues. Post jailbreak it would not connect and asked for the password repeatedly. My iphone 1 connected normally to my office wifi and friends homewifi. My fiance whom lives with me uses an unjailbroken 3G that connects to my wifi with no issues.

On sunday I upgraded my iphone 1 to an iphone 4 (ZOMGNOWAY!). I did not jailbreak my iphone 4 initially as the software to jailbreak was not ready at that point. My iphone 4 would not connect to my home wifi, it had the same problem with requesting the password over and over again. This confused me because I hadn't made any software modifications to the iphone 4 whatsoever, just...right out of the box it wouldn't connect. I decided to let it ride until I went into the office the next day, hoping that it wouldn't connect there and I could take the iphone back to apple, screaming bloody murder and demanding a replacement. However...it connected without a hitch to my office wifi. I didn't even have to enter the password since I restored my old iphones back up onto the new one (which was insanely easy and perfect btw).

Jailbreak software was released yesterday and I couldn't help myself. I jailbroke my iphone 4, and am very pleased so far. However I'm having trouble downloading the apps and tweaks that I want over 3G, it has now become a priority to resolve the wifi at home connection problems. So...that's it, hopefully that is clear enough that someone has experienced this and can advise.

My home router is a Linksys WAP54G (*punches self*). It was discarded in an office move and I didn't have one at the time so I scooped it up. It gets the job done most of the time. Not sure what the router at the office is, I'd have to look that up at work tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

Cold Warrior
Oct 10, 2010, 01:29 PM

What sort of wifi settings are enabled on the linksys? Hidden SSID, WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.

philm
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2010, 02:59 PM

I would remove the security on your home router first, and see if you can connect. Assuming this works you will then know it's something related to the security. You can then play around with the different options.

Forum Links
Forum Rules