Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2 has made my iBook into a desktop!

10.2 has made my iBook into a desktop!
willed
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2003, 07:23 AM

So iBook has run without a real hitch for 1.5 years. I upgraded to 10.2 just over a week ago, and have had to force restart four times already.

Every time it goes thus: I put the iBook to sleep, put it in rucksack and go to tutorial or lecture. I wake it up at said tute/lecture and find that the brighness/volume control wont work. Also the mouse is very twitchy. Everything else seems to work though. However, if it goes to sleep on its own or is put to sleep it seems to turn off. No response. Nada. And today, when I got it back home I plugged it in to AC and it started booting up without me even asking it to!

It's not the battery - it's currently on 78% and I've been back 5 mins. I've reset the power manager thing and have the latest OS. Why has my laptop become a desktop?? No problems when on AC, only battery. HELP!

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2003, 10:21 AM

This was posted to my iBook list a while back under 10.2.2; although it was used to address a sleep problem corrected with 10.2.3, it might be worth a go:

1. Turned Personal File Sharing off
2. trashed the preference file - com.apple.windowserver.plist located in /Library/Preferences.
3. zapped the PRAM - restart holding command+option+P+R for four chimes.

The thing sleeps at it should now. I experimented by turning Personal File Sharing back on and it hosed the sleep function so I had to turn it off and trash the preference file agai and things went back to working. Looks like personal file sharing may be the culprit. I need to go apply this to my other machines and am hoping that this will eliminate the other problems that I'm having with my tower. Thanks everyone for your input.

Doug

NOTE: 10.2.3 "fixed" this problem so you can leave file sharing on during sleep, but it's possible your preference was corrupted before an upgrade to 10.2.3?

PS: Are you running 10.2.3 or earlier? If not, upgrade to the latest point release to see if that fixes your problem.

"Psssst..."

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jan 28, 2003, 10:40 AM

My Blueberry iBook is also a desktop now. Whereas I have not experienced any problem while unplugged, my battery life has been reduced dramatically since the last month. At the begining it went from 2:30 hours to 1. Then from 1 to 20 min, and finally, the instant I unplug the AC I hear the beep and the power reserve battery message and after 10-20 seconds after that it goes to sleep.
Look ma: no wires?

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2003, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by Nai no Kami:
My Blueberry iBook is also a desktop now. Whereas I have not experienced any problem while unplugged, my battery life has been reduced dramatically since the last month. At the begining it went from 2:30 hours to 1. Then from 1 to 20 min, and finally, the instant I unplug the AC I hear the beep and the power reserve battery message and after 10-20 seconds after that it goes to sleep.
Look ma: no wires?
I had that same thing happen with my 1400cs. Now it is too old to try to use. Besides the trackpad is bad for the second time. So it sits on a shelf. As I wish for a new portable Mac.
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

Forum Links
Forum Rules