Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why can't the Finder windows refresh properly?

Why can't the Finder windows refresh properly?
starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2004, 11:49 AM

Hi all,
I'm starting to get disgusted by this. I'm working on an app that takes a file, converts it, uploads it to a server, and then deletes it. With the Windows version, the window that holds the file updates properly. On the Mac it doesn't and it's very annoying. I have to do a CMD-A just to kick the Finder in the nuts to get it to refresh the window to see if the file's been deleted. I could let the Finder sit there for an hour and it won't refresh (I've actually done it). Why can't it just DO IT?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 12:17 PM

This issue has been there since Public Beta. The good news is that all the things needed to have the Finder refresh its windows "live" has been implemented in Panther (kqueue/kevent I believe). It actually refresh the content of windows for network drives, but still does not do it locally. It will hopfully come soon... fingers crossed for 10.3.4.

diamondsw
Senior User
Mar 25, 2004, 02:34 PM

And FYI, it was enabled in one of the beta builds of Panther, but removed soon thereafter - there must have been some issues they couldn't resolve just yet. But as the previous poster said, it's coming soon (thank goodness).

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 03:26 PM

A little off topic I think, but I noticed downloads with Safari do live-refresh on the icon to show progress, so hopefully the Finder isn't too far off.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
A little off topic I think, but I noticed downloads with Safari do live-refresh on the icon to show progress, so hopefully the Finder isn't too far off.
So does iPhoto, TextEdit and a few other programs.

lenox
Senior User
Mar 26, 2004, 05:16 PM

OS 9 and previous iterations of the OS didn't have this issue because they used a process called 'polling'. However, this was a silly and relatively resource-intensive way to check if things had changed in a certain directory, so I guess they never put it into OS X, in hopes of developing something better. It is quite annoying, though

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2004, 08:51 PM

I'm a little surprised Apple has waited this long to fix it, and while it's good to see the "infrastructure" is in place, I'm not holding my breathe considering I'd be more than blue in the face if I started back at 10.0.

"Psssst..."

z|gzag
Mar 26, 2004, 09:14 PM

Somehow I don't think we'll see it in 10.3.x... 10.4 is my guess, along with other filesystem improvements.
~zig

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2004, 07:27 AM

The Finder still cannot do a lot of things properly. It is indeed strange that this was corrected for remote volumes but not local ones.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules