Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why is Apple.com Promoting Widgets so Heavily?

Why is Apple.com Promoting Widgets so Heavily?
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2005, 06:38 AM

Does someone have an explanation for why Apple is promoting widgets so heavily? It has been monopolizing the top feature of the index page for a few days now. Am I overlooking some grand significance of this widget promotional period?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2005, 06:41 AM

Widgets are part of Tiger. Tiger is new. Not everyone has Tiger. Widgets are easy to advertise on a website. Widgets are fun and useful.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 07:01 AM

Dashboard is a big differentiator between Windows and Mac OS X. One that is more readily apparent to the casual user than less tangible things like 'stability' and 'security'.

Along with dashboard and expose, I find myself really missing Spotlight on my Wintel box at work. Where I would probably have much more use for them
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2005, 07:08 AM

Why SHOULDN'T they be promoting Widgets?

Like jcadam said, it's something Windows doesn't have. I would be advertising a feature that my competitor did not have too.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by jcadam
Dashboard is a big differentiator between Windows and Mac OS X. One that is more readily apparent to the casual user than less tangible things like 'stability' and 'security'.

Along with dashboard and expose, I find myself really missing Spotlight on my Wintel box at work. Where I would probably have much more use for them
Tell me about it. I have expose mapped the the extra buttons on my mouse, but at work I keep trying to press the buttons (that aren't there) on an OS that doesn't even have expose!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 07:24 AM

Dashboard has to be the most over-hyped new feature. I've found it to be completely worthless. Most widgets are just portals to existing websites... why don't I just use the website instead of waiting for countless widgets to unfreeze themselves when I open Dashbaord!?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 07:25 AM

I like the extra exposure....especially after the failure of Sherlock "Channels" from developers. They got this one right from the beginning.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 17, 2005, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Does someone have an explanation for why Apple is promoting widgets so heavily? ...
Because it makes for nice eye candy with all the "bubble'ing" and the "baby toy" colors. As far as "useful" is concerned - I have yet to find a single widget that I would have considered useful for myself. Not implying that they can't be useful for other people and their particular needs, of course.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 07:28 AM

I think Expose is the biggest feature in Mac OS X, of course its not new to Tiger, but it's what I find most usefull. Widgets are fun, but rarely functional for me.
It doesn't bother me they advertise it so heavily. I like widgets.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by wataru
Dashboard has to be the most over-hyped new feature. I've found it to be completely worthless. Most widgets are just portals to existing websites... why don't I just use the website instead of waiting for countless widgets to unfreeze themselves when I open Dashbaord!?
Well, I don't want to have too many windows/tabs open. Having some of that info in Dashboard is great for me.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by buggsuperstar
Why SHOULDN'T they be promoting Widgets?

Like jcadam said, it's something Windows doesn't have. I would be advertising a feature that my competitor did not have too.
Konfabulator for Windows.

-Owl

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2005, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy
Konfabulator for Windows.

-Owl
Yes, but you would have to pay extra for that.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 08:43 AM

-Owl

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 08:44 AM

And its not as good as Dashboard.
The widget sites are going crazy at the moment, there are some fantastic widgets.
Windows users are totally out in the cold.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by :XI:
Tell me about it. I have expose mapped the the extra buttons on my mouse, but at work I keep trying to press the buttons (that aren't there) on an OS that doesn't even have expose!
Exactly the same here.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 17, 2005, 09:25 AM

Yes. Widgets are cool.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2005, 10:16 AM

Widgets = Free attractions for the OS's usefulness, courtesy of developpers.
Apple = laughing all the way to the bank.
Developpers = uh, Apple, buy my widget please? I have kids to clothe and feed.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

deomacius
Senior User
Jun 17, 2005, 10:21 AM

Has anyone else noticed the speed hit a PoweBook takes when any widgets are running? It was painful.

You reap what you sow.

Recreational Poster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 10:22 AM

Widgets look cool, although few are actually useful.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Widgets are part of Tiger. Tiger is new. Not everyone has Tiger. Widgets are easy to advertise on a website. Widgets are fun and useful.
Right on the mark. When it comes to advertising, you need to convince buyers that you have something they want. Dashboard and Spotlight are easy to explain, easy to demonstrate (visually) and thus the best candidates as features to advertise.

And tangentially: now that Dashboard widgets run under Panther (with Amnesty, natch), Apple's focus on widgets is welcomed free advertising.

Edit: as to the prevous mentions of "something Windows doesn't have" -- I really don't believe Apple's Tiger advertising push has anything to do with Windows. There are 12 million Panther users that haven't upgraded yet (e.g. over a billion dollars in potential sales). That's Apple's concern at the moment. If Apple convinces some Windows users to switch because of Dashboard ads, then great, but that's clearly not their focus.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 10:29 AM

Reading some of the posts in this thread reminded me that I also miss the system wide spell checker in OSX.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Recreational Poster
Widgets look cool, although few are actually useful.
The weather widget lets me know if its going to rain today, to me thats the definition of useful.

Its early days with widgets, but in the short time they have been around they have certainly changed the way I use my computer and managed information.

Buzztracker is a great example, it dictates the news I read, irrelevant of where I am living; lots of people could do with a shot of that.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2005, 10:33 AM

Promoting a technology that some people find useful AND which slows down their computer a bit, is good business IMHO. (Within limits.) Consumers need to be shown the limitations of their computers.

The AppleStores will welcome you and your credit card with open arms, to help you out.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 10:34 AM

Little guy on my left shoulder, dressed in white
"Because Widgets are useful and are something that is easily recognisable as an OS X Tiger feature"

Little guy on my right shoulder, dressed in red
"Because they'll have **** all new hardware to promote for the next 12 months or so!"

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Recreational Poster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
The weather widget lets me know if its going to rain today, to me thats the definition of useful.
Granted, there are some useful widgets. However, the majority of widgets developed to date are not particularly useful or are only useful to a very small audience.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by wataru
To each his/her own, I guess. I find Dashboard incredibly useful, a real time-saver. Widgets take a couple seconds to display new info, and that's much sooner than I could open a browser, goto a link, type in my personalized info (tracking number, ZIP, etc.).

One click or keystroke away, I have the weather, all my iCal events, up-to-the-hour personalized TV listings, a drop area for FTP, up-to-date package-tracking, instant translation, and basic system stats.

Websites take much longer to load and many more steps to reach.
Websites usually lose the cookie-related personalization.
Websites are huge and usually not as aesthetically-pleasing as their widget counterparts.
Websites can't tell me my system stats, tell me my iCal events, can't drag-and-drop FTP...
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

historylme
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 12:15 PM

I only have two days on Tiger, and I have yet to really change my habits because of dashboard, but I do like the clock functions (I call international a lot), the weather (let's me know if I need to use my car or not), and the system stats are great too.

I like it so far, and like a noob, I have my whole screen covered with useless widgets, I just don't know which ones I want to keep (I have a 12' screen).

Zarafa
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2005, 01:56 PM

I don't necessarily believe dashboard was built with this in mind, but it definitely seems (to me) that the Dashboard concept is especially useful is small-form-factor screens (e.g 12" *books, future hypothetical slate-style tablets, etc.). They available with a single click/gesture, don't take up screen real estate when not being actively viewed/used, allow existing workspaces to stay in place, etc.

On a tablet, imagine a quick tap with a stylus to get to the Dashboard -- perform some function or look up some data there -- then another quick tap to go back to sketching, note-taking, web-browsing, or whatever. Somewhat useful on a larger-screen machine with a keyboard and mouse, yes, but extremely handy on a smaller device.

Maybe someday we'll have "multi-layer" Dashboards, so we can group common sets of funtionality together. For instance, various financial tools on Dashboard 1, sports stuff on Dashboard 2, local and remote system stats on Dashboard 3, etc.
( Last edited by Zarafa; Jun 17, 2005 at 02:03 PM. Reason: syntax error)

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by history1me
I only have two days on Tiger, and I have yet to really change my habits because of dashboard, but I do like the clock functions (I call international a lot), the weather (let's me know if I need to use my car or not), and the system stats are great too.

I like it so far, and like a noob, I have my whole screen covered with useless widgets, I just don't know which ones I want to keep (I have a 12' screen).
I want a 12' screen!

I couldn't resist the stupid comment!
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

historylme
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 02:20 PM

haha, yeah, a 12 foot screen would be nice.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by history1me

Soon enough you will work out what you like and what you don't like. Then you will have control and your dashboard will rock.

Who needs to know how much memory they are taking up? (not me)

Who needs to know when the plane carrying their girlfriend has taken off and landed. (me)

I like the dashboard.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 02:27 PM

When an improved theater widget (they're all kind of klunky) and a better Google Maps widget comes out, I'm going to use dashboard all the time. Right now I only really use it for weather (ironic, eh?) and post-it's.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2005, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Zarafa
Maybe someday we'll have "multi-layer" Dashboards, so we can group common sets of funtionality together. For instance, various financial tools on Dashboard 1, sports stuff on Dashboard 2, local and remote system stats on Dashboard 3, etc.
Okay, my last reference to Amnesty in this thread, I promise.

With Amnesty, you can have "multi-layer Dashboards" today. The latest build allows multiple "Layouts" of widgets to be saved which can then be called up whenever you want em. Exactly like you describe (except outside of the Dashboard environment).

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 02:36 PM

I use the following widgets all the time:

Calculator
Dictionary/thesaurus
Unit converter
Weather
Flight Tracker

Mighty useful to me -- and a welcome addition to the OS.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2005, 02:54 PM

Amnesty is still a very rough app. Maybe in time ...

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
When an improved theater widget (they're all kind of klunky) and a better Google Maps widget comes out, I'm going to use dashboard all the time. Right now I only really use it for weather (ironic, eh?) and post-it's.
Have you tried this one ....

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb...apswidget.html

Seems to work as advertised. Only wish it supported the driving directions functionality as well.

OAW

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 03:10 PM

What's wrong with the Google Maps widget?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 03:16 PM

Marketing for Tiger.

Not an easier answer to be had on MacNN.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 03:18 PM

That one is okay, but I want built in driving directions too. I expect a lot =D

It'd be nice if you can resize widgets...

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 04:16 PM

That one is okay, but I want built in driving directions too. I expect a lot =D

It'd be nice if you can resize widgets...
Try typing two addresses with a "to" in between them

As far as reading those directions go, just click "view larger map" then...you're likely to want to print those directions, anyhow.

Resizing is likely to come soon, but I'm sure you can request it and suggest a method of viewing the directions in-line.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater

As far as reading those directions go, just click "view larger map" then...you're likely to want to print those directions, anyhow.

Resizing is likely to come soon, but I'm sure you can request it and suggest a method of viewing the directions in-line.
Exactly what I don't want to do - open it up in a webpage. If I wanted that, I'd just use Safari. (Yes I figured this all out before, thanks )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater

Thanks for the tip! Would be nice if you didn't have to launch Safari ... but this isn't too bad for now.

OAW

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice
Little guy on my left shoulder, dressed in white
"Because Widgets are useful and are something that is easily recognisable as an OS X Tiger feature"

Little guy on my right shoulder, dressed in red
"Because they'll have **** all new hardware to promote for the next 12 months or so!"
Do you really think that speed bumped machines make for good marketing/advertising to the general public?

I don't.

tomaszek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 07:11 PM

If you are tired of widgets hogging your low end Mac you can unload them by entering the following in Terminal:
killall Dock
Or, if you prefer to have this option handy as a contextual menu command, download OnMyCommand:
http://free.abracode.com/cmworkshop/on_my_command.html
and use command #391 at:
http://free.abracode.com/cmworkshop/...s/commands.php

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2005, 07:19 PM

WAY over-hyped. These things are not very useful at all, especially for the resources they use, and I think a lot of people will be disappointed once the 'wow' factor has worn off.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

seonline
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 07:35 PM

I love the widgets. I find many useful. Package tracker, weather, calculator, network statistics, wireless statistics, and even some games for breaking up a long work day. The funniest thing is that the one I love the most is the one I consider the most useless...but it makes me laugh and makes friends wish they had a Mac. It's the "Hula Girl". Now it even goes to my iTunes library.

I like the widget managers too. I've only noticed a very small performance hit if I run alot of them together. Otherwise I pull them out only when I need them. And every day I find at least one more that is useful, or does it better than another. I think it's great. The best part is that you only need to load what fits you best...and I think that too has to do with why the promote it so much. Individuality, which is what the Mac is all about.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by tomaszek
If you are tired of widgets hogging your low end Mac you can unload them by entering the following in Terminal:
killall Dock
Wouldn't that kill... the Dock?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by slffl
WAY over-hyped. These things are not very useful at all, especially for the resources they use, and I think a lot of people will be disappointed once the 'wow' factor has worn off.

There are some excellent widgets about. I am listening to the BBC online via a widget while typing this, which means I don't have to launch and deal with Real Player or the BBC player.

Others I use for screenshots, weather and checking snippets of html. When dashboard was first launched I thought that it was little more than a toy, now I very much like it.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by deomacius
Has anyone else noticed the speed hit a PoweBook takes when any widgets are running? It was painful.
Mine didn't get any slower.
(Not that I noticed anyway!)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 17, 2005, 09:24 PM

Widgets don't need ported.

They run on any platform.