Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 20% off MBPs and other Apple hardware

20% off MBPs and other Apple hardware
n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2006, 07:09 AM

For anyone looking for a good one time deal on their new MBPs or future IntelMacs etc, you can use Apple's ADC (Apple Development Connection) to get 20% off as a student ADC. Keep in mind this discount also applies to tax. That's right folks, you save even more! Again, this is a ONE time deal, you must currently be a student and need to provide proof by sending/faxing them a copy of some sort of proof of your current enrollment and picture ID of some sort (details on site). But there's a little catch, the student ADC requires a 99 dollar membership, but you still save a lot.

Here is the math for the MBP:

(2500) * (1.085) = 2712.50 [Priced w/ tax]

(2712.50) *(.20) = 542.50 [Total discounted amount]

(2712.50) - (542.50) +(8) + (99)= $2,278!! [Your total w/ recycling + ADC fee]

The ADC kit gives you a copy of Tiger/T-shirt/etc etc stuff, so ya. Oh, also, to sweeten the deal even more, when you purchase a new MBP you qualify for a $100 printer rebate. The 20% discount also applies to the printer as well when bought together.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2006, 07:43 AM

Nothing new this discount is technically a once in a lifetime purchase. I've belonged to ADC but only the free version. One of these days I'm tempted to purchase ADC partly for the discount but also for the help on developing.

I could be wrong but you can only buy the 99 membership once and it expires in a year.

Good deal though.

tictactoe
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 04:30 PM

I'm logged into the ADC website, but under the "Store" it only shows tickets to WWDC events.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2006, 06:34 PM

You need to apply for access to the student developer store.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2006, 10:05 PM

Yes, it is a one time thing. Just wanted to get it out there for those who didn't know about it. Get it while you're still in college. Or u can always save it for another new Apple machine I think a 20% discount is a pretty good chunk of change though

ryanbrown345
Mar 7, 2006, 11:22 PM

amanmann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2006, 12:57 AM

Thanks for the info.. I din't know of that before.. Should come hanfy now that I am thinking buying a MBP.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2006, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll be starting college this September, although I already have a PB, this one won't last me till graduation.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2006, 12:45 PM

Isn't part of the agreement when you take advantage of the discount that you'll use it for software development?
I know most people would probably just laugh at that, but I remember seeing it there.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2006, 10:23 PM

Yes, this discount is for development and research purposes only.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2006, 10:57 PM

Note that this discount varies from system to system. The high profit systems like the MacBook have by far a bigger percentage discount than systems such as the iBook, yet the one discount-per-member rule prevails, so there is a strong incentive for student developers to get a high end system with this one-off deal.

Also, the original poster in the thread should note that the discounts for educational and developer use and so on are priced pre-tax -- not post-tax.

TypeMRT
Mar 8, 2006, 11:22 PM

Can you make the purchase in a B&M Apple Store or just through the on-line store? I know education discounts are also available by just walking into any Apple Store and showing your school id.

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2006, 06:00 PM

I believe the ADC discount is only through Apple's site.

beck11488
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2006, 10:39 PM

what is the differences between student and select adc memberships

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2006, 12:55 AM

Anyone know if this is US only? Thanks.

n8236  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2006, 06:24 AM

The student discount doesn't require you to submit any paperwork to verify you're a student, but technically you're suppose be a student and for school related works. But you never know, Apple might just want to check someone to verify if you're really student lol. It doesn't cost anything to use to discount.

ADC = Apple Developement Connection. The student version of ADC is a 99 dollar membership that will get you an order of selected hardware with 20% off. This program requires you to submit identification and school current status which gets verified before your order goes through. ADC is strictly for Apple development purposes only.

----------

Not sure if it's for US only, but here's the link w/ a faq page.

http://developer.apple.com/students/index.html

macrophyllum
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2006, 09:39 AM

Please don't abuse the system, only become an ADC member if you will use the computer for development.

Forum Links
Forum Rules