Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Red Dead Redemption

Red Dead Redemption (Page 2)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 20, 2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Not in RDR. Ankle-deep water results in instant death.
That is borderline unforgivable.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2010, 12:54 PM

Hmm, that's odd, you'd think in a western game that fording a river would be almost a staple.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 20, 2010, 12:56 PM

You'd think something that got cured in 2002 would be a staple.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 20, 2010, 02:44 PM

Played a bit last night at the local gamestop... Controls are slightly improved over GTA4, but not much. Aiming still feels secondary, and annoying to do. I'm just gonna wait for SC2.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 10:33 AM

My clan has been drooling over this, so I went out and got it. I'm prepared to be disappointed (I never got into F3 like you guys), we'll see. Apparently you can get XP / rank up in private matches. I'll slap it in tonight.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2010, 05:53 AM

You can't save the game anytime you want. Isn't that something fairly basic?

Otherwise, pretty impressive, except the shot-outs : I find it hard to manage a person in 3rd person. Even the horse doesn't do what I want.

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
May 22, 2010, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'll wait for a Kevin Bogues impression first...
Red Dead Early Impressions:
Its not Fallout 3 and its not GTA: Wild West. Its a mix. A good mix.

I think the most important part of the "open world" game (which F3 did like nothing i've ever experienced) is made exploring both beneficial and fun usually provided by completely unnecessary side missions that not only took time but also provided some story and a decent break from the main campaign.
Does RDR do this? So far... Yes (but not as good as F3)

With only about 4/5 hours in, i'm hooked (okay maybe i played horseshoes for an hour)
The engine is PURE GTA, controls/mission structure/map but the style and vibe are completely new.
The controls are recycled for sure, from cover to "steal car" - Press Y (get on horse), but definitely huge improvements have been made. A few large battles utilizing cover felt much more fluid than GTA, and actually provided some tactical choices as to handle is area.

The world feels alive, and much like F3 i spent 80% of my time just exploring and experiencing things that are unrelated to the story structure. While there isn't a true RPG element, the different "outfits" require "challenges" (like MW2), and the plethora of items/guns/maps to purchase makes it a much deeper experience than the pure story/mission driven GTA: IV.

More to come as I get some more time in, didn't try multi yet.

If your on the fence about this game i'm going to give an experience from my first two hours, if it interests you, this game is a must buy.

After chasing... lassoing... and taming a wild horse i take it out for a ride late at night, i'm searching for rabbits to skin (to help unlock one of the "outfits"), it begins to rain and with very little visibility i see a few coyotes chasing a rabbit, i kill the coyotes while riding at full speed with my new tornado pistol (I stole from a settler at a campsite earlier), and jump from my horse to shoot the rabbit while on foot. While i'm on the ground walking to skin my kill I hear a man screaming for a ride to the nearest town, i get back on my horse to help this guy only to find when I get close he jumps me and steals my new ride. I throw on the dead eye and attempt a head shot only to knock off his hat and take a second shot to the shoulder, the man dangles from my horses stirrup and as my horse runs around with a lifeless body hanging from it until it falls to the ground, I skin my rabbit and whistle my horse over to ride back into town.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Did this early on, pretty interesting achievement.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2010, 01:08 PM

my god this game is buggy.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2010, 02:59 PM

I booted the game up to show my wife (horse lover), and it loaded to reveal Marston standing waist-deep in the desert sand, unable to move. I saw my horse standing nearby, himself in a similar predicament. This is the only major bug so far, but it was incredibly annoying to load straight into it like that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 26, 2010, 01:59 AM

YouTube - The Incredible Donkey-Lady!

I almost want tog et the game for its glitches.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 31, 2010, 03:27 PM

If it's glitchy, I'll pass. But it does sound good. There's just too many other good titles to play and coming out.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 2, 2010, 09:53 AM

I was watching a few videos last night. One of a shoot-out and one of some co-op.

The shoot-out looked like a somewhat smoother GTA. The sniper was interesting looking. And the guy was complaining that the High-Powered Pistol was overpowered.

The co-op, on the other hand, looked more interesting. I watched them play with canons, go into towns, etc. I think I'll eventually get this, come fall. Personally, I'd rather do co-op then, but we'll see who's still around.

Rumor
Jun 3, 2010, 01:48 AM

I was thinking about these two games in the series and was wondering if I should play the first before playing the second.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2010, 11:39 PM

Free DLC on June 22

It says there are 3 new achievements with this DLC. I thought it was in the M$ contract that people have to pay for DLC that has achievements. Have there been other games that have offered free DLC with extra achievements?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I was thinking about these two games in the series and was wondering if I should play the first before playing the second.
Nah. You won't be missing anything.

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Jun 12, 2010, 10:22 AM

Feel like i haven't posted in a LONG time so i thought i'd throw out some more about RDR,

I just crossed over the 83 hour play mark last night and i'm at 100% single player completion.
(with only 3 hrs of multi-player)

My run for 100% completion has definitely made me appreciate this game much more.
I've had a few glitchy moments but F3 had those too, a game of this size is going to have some faults.

RDR post-campaign has been much different (i'd put a spoiler tag but no one is there except for me so i'll leave it), but still great. I've spent the last 20 hours trying to finish off the ambient challenges (sharpshooter/master hunter/treasure hunter/survivalist) and bounties
Each consists of a series of 10 challenges that require you to do some small task.
Sharpshooter example - shoot 5 birds while riding on a moving train or shoot off two enemies hats without killing them.
Master Hunter example - kill the skin 2 cougars using your hunting knife (no guns)

Stranger challenges were some of the best missions in the game (completely separate from the campaign) and really made this world alive much like F3, according to the Social Club there is 18 but each has multiple parts (4 or 5 in some cases), and without these the game would of lost its luster for me when the campaign ended.

The campaign finished with a bang and a small fizzle but it was memorable. The Social Club has made the stat tracking a huge part of the game, not to mention the 100% page which shows all your stats and challenges regarding 100%.

I cannot wait for this free co-op DLC but i need a partner, so someone pick this up!
My short time in multi was good, but i haven't put enough time in to give proper impressions.

EDIT: Got to 100%, updated hours played
( Last edited by Kevin Bogues; Jun 13, 2010 at 04:54 PM. )

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2010, 12:44 AM

Yep, this is fast becoming one of my favourite games of the past few years.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2010, 01:46 AM

This is the first game that has made me seriously consider getting a console again.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2010, 12:42 PM

Best Buy has this game for $45 and I just bought it! Definitely worth the price! Can't wait to get my hands dirty!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2010, 10:30 AM

Just dropped to $45 on amazon. Picked it up.

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Jul 7, 2010, 01:35 PM

Can't wait to hear both your impressions, and I finally have some people to co - op with! Let me know when either of you guys want to meet up, I'm free most of this weekend

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2010, 01:38 PM

Oh, I didn't say I'd actually play it. I just think it'll look good on my shelf.

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Jul 7, 2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Oh, I didn't say I'd actually play it. I just think it'll look good on my shelf.
Your right, I apologize, RDR will look much better in it's clean plastic covering beside bioshock 2, well how about some impressions of the box art ??

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2010, 01:48 PM

Don't forget Darksiders.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2010, 01:55 PM

Finished the game and got 100% over the weekend. Man, what a great game. Story is great, and the ending is pretty clever. Hoping they release expansion packs with more single player missions.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2010, 12:04 PM

Paging sek... sek to the thread , please...
Red Dead Redemption Adding Zombies, Multiplayer Poker, More

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2010, 04:25 PM

Hopefully, you can still shoot people at the Poker table if the game gets 'suspect'. I've had to kill quite a few guys at the table.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2010, 06:59 PM

Paging sek... sek to the thread , please...
Red Dead Redemption Adding Zombies, Multiplayer Poker, More
Zombie Cowboys? HELL YES.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2010, 07:16 PM

Red Dead Redemption: World in Motion - Page 1 | DigitalFoundry | Eurogamer.net

The 720p version they link to is pretty damn impressive.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2010, 09:36 PM

Liars and Cheats DLC - Sept 21

Liars and Cheats focuses on enhancing your Free Roam experience by introducing the following:

- Multiplayer Poker and Liar's Dice mini-games
- The Explosive Rifle, with its own challenges
- 7 New Gang hideouts
- 4 new Hunting Grounds with the "most action packed hunting yet"
- Posse Scoring and Leaderboards
- 15 additional characters
- New Achievements
- A new Stronghold competitive mode

As for future DLC, Rockstar will eventually be releasing the Hunting and Trading Outfits Pack for free in the coming weeks. This DLC will include the Savvy Merchant and Expert Hunter outfits, as well as allowing everyone to see multiplayer outfits used by other players even if they have not purchased the required packs.

Finally, more information about the single player DLC coming this fall, the Undead Nightmare Pack. This pack will also release for 800 MSP and follows John Marston as he roams the frontier trying to cure the zombie plague. Included will be brand new weapons, mythical creatures and of course, zombie animals.
Zombie Bears anyone?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2010, 10:14 PM

Here's some screen shots of Undead Nightmare...

Zombie horses! OH YEAH!!!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2010, 03:37 AM

Just started playing undead nightmare tonight. Pretty damn addictive. Bogues, you giving this a shot? Anyone else?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2011, 12:43 PM

The animation looks smooth, the graphics are quite stunning, but I can't get over the feeling that it still lacks, the fluidity of a good FPS. GTA IVs multi was fun... but its hard not to constantly feel like its not as responsive or easy to use as a FPS, which becomes frustrating after a while.
Just started it this weekend. It's a fantastic game, and I'm still right about everything I said about the controls. There's something very wrong about a game where I can get violently frustrated trying to turn around and go through a door or simply jump a fence.

Overall, it amazing how much the GTA engine/gameplay works better in the Western setting. Maps feel larger and there's less overhead since people and objects are rarer.

As far as the camera and controls go, it still doesn't hold a candle to Assassin's Creed (which I may revisit just to double-check). The horse controls aren't great, but I guess it's a tough negotiation. Holding A is a gigantic pain in the ass, but you need the trigers for combat. The reversal of weapon selection is confusing as hell, and time not freezing when you open the wheel is a terrible burden – one that doesn't seem to be a gameplay decision when you can perform the same action by accessing a similar menu by pausing the game.

Online was a brave adventure. It feels like a MMO-Lite, though it's severely lacing in any real tasks – you can upgrade your sharpshooting, hunting, etc. skills, but whereas in an MMO those skill would reap benefits, here they earn you merely titles.

I joined a "Friendly" Free Roam. This was implemented to curtail griefing that was (obviously) rampant on normal Free Roam. I found in practice, however, it's ridiculously easy to grief player. Most obvious is mounts not being protected by friendly fire. Then there's people constantly running you over. Or that dynamite ignores friendly fire. Or that being repeatedly stabbed/damaged slows movement to a crawl. It was ridiculous.

When I wasn't being griefed it was decent fun. I did posse up to do a few of the gang hideouts. I also got to play with a few weapons I haven't unlocked in the game yet, and that high-powered pistol really is as broken as they say it is.

I saw mattyb on Saturday, but I didn't get a chance to invite him. I'm not sure how co-op works (weapons and such) but I'd like to give that a try soon.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2011, 01:14 PM

Just started it this weekend. It's a fantastic game, and I'm still right about everything I said about the controls. There's something very wrong about a game where I can get violently frustrated trying to turn around and go through a door or simply jump a fence.
I am so with you on this one. I am always bumping into people, or having to spend precious seconds getting the bloody horse to go the right way.

Overall, it amazing how much the GTA engine/gameplay works better in the Western setting. Maps feel larger and there's less overhead since people and objects are rarer.

As far as the camera and controls go, it still doesn't hold a candle to Assassin's Creed (which I may revisit just to double-check). The horse controls aren't great, but I guess it's a tough negotiation. Holding A is a gigantic pain in the ass, but you need the trigers for combat. The reversal of weapon selection is confusing as hell, and time not freezing when you open the wheel is a terrible burden – one that doesn't seem to be a gameplay decision when you can perform the same action by accessing a similar menu by pausing the game.
I wonder if this hasn't made me wary of 3rd person games. I thought that Fable 2 was easier to 'do' and then I felt really let down that 3rd person in Red Dead wasn't as easy. Let it be known that I don't have much experience of 3rd person games.

Online was a brave adventure. It feels like a MMO-Lite, though it's severely lacing in any real tasks – you can upgrade your sharpshooting, hunting, etc. skills, but whereas in an MMO those skill would reap benefits, here they earn you merely titles.

I joined a "Friendly" Free Roam. This was implemented to curtail griefing that was (obviously) rampant on normal Free Roam. I found in practice, however, it's ridiculously easy to grief player. Most obvious is mounts not being protected by friendly fire. Then there's people constantly running you over. Or that dynamite ignores friendly fire. Or that being repeatedly stabbed/damaged slows movement to a crawl. It was ridiculous.

When I wasn't being griefed it was decent fun. I did posse up to do a few of the gang hideouts. I also got to play with a few weapons I haven't unlocked in the game yet, and that high-powered pistol really is as broken as they say it is.

I saw mattyb on Saturday, but I didn't get a chance to invite him. I'm not sure how co-op works (weapons and such) but I'd like to give that a try soon.
I haven't done any on-line stuff. My internet connection at my new house is really really bad. So much so that I'm looking for other games to play besides CoD stuff. Assassin's Creed is my next purchase.

I'm not really sure how to go about this game. Should I just wander about and roam around or try and do the missions? When I've come up against 'events' in my travels, I haven't done too well. The coyotes are too quick for me and the guy being hanged died. I have managed to kill a few escaping hoodlums now and again.

I'll plod on with Red Dead for the short term and if I see you on I'll ping you. Saturday night I may be in a drunken stupur - England are playing France in the 6 Nations and the beers are in the fridge waiting.

Even with the small patch (think that it was only 4 Meg) there are still glitches. I ran into some floating boxes while galloping at full pace.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2011, 02:47 PM

I am so with you on this one. I am always bumping into people, or having to spend precious seconds getting the bloody horse to go the right way.
I changed horse control to camera view or something like that. I highly recommend it.

I wonder if this hasn't made me wary of 3rd person games. I thought that Fable 2 was easier to 'do' and then I felt really let down that 3rd person in Red Dead wasn't as easy. Let it be known that I don't have much experience of 3rd person games.
Fable is pretty smooth as they come, though when the camera takes a shit, it takes a massive shit.

I'm not really sure how to go about this game. Should I just wander about and roam around or try and do the missions?
Hang out with Bonnie as much as possible. It introduces a lot of game mechanics. I'm usually a guy who avoids storyline missions like the plague but the pacing of this game has been working for me and I feel like I've been making solid progress so far.

When I've come up against 'events' in my travels, I haven't done too well. The coyotes are too quick for me and the guy being hanged died. I have managed to kill a few escaping hoodlums now and again.
Guy being hanged? Not sure how coyotes factor into that.

I did catch some coyotes chasing a dude, and thanks to Dead Aim Level 2, I unknowingly nicked the guy's leg while clearing them out, which caused me to become wanted, etc. etc. total bullshit. I did have a great sequence where some store owner got robbed so I went after the thief on horseback, lassoed him and decided to drag him back to town. When time came to turn him in I found he didn't survive the ride, however. Oops.

Lastly, last night I was wandering Mexico trying to solve on of the ridiculously convoluted Treasure Maps and ran into three soldiers on a cliffside about to execute a man (by gun or push, not really sure). Without a moment's hesitation I blasted the three and the guy they were going kill just started running. Uh, not a good sign. I got fame and no dishonor from killing the guards, but a guilty man doesn't run – he begs me to untie him. So I blasted him (and lost honor). No winning that one I guess.

Even with the small patch (think that it was only 4 Meg) there are still glitches. I ran into some floating boxes while galloping at full pace.
Surprisingly, I've only run into one so far – I wrecked a carriage in single-player and was paralyzed myself. I had to reload from a previous save and lost like 20 minutes of progress.

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Feb 22, 2011, 03:16 PM

Glad to see you started up RDR. This is EXACTLY the excuse i needed to get back into it and do some serious co-op and multi.

This was absolutely one of my favorite games of 2010

Speaking of camera's, i also had my cam changed for horse riding, defiantly a huge improvement. The actual size of the map is unbelievable once you unlock mexico and tall trees, riding from end to end is an absolutely an amazing experience (like that video when the game first released of the weather/day/night changes)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2011, 03:27 PM

Bogues man, your XBOX has been a ghost town. Hope that's more by choice/boredom than Lifeâ„¢.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2011, 08:54 AM

I changed horse control to camera view or something like that. I highly recommend it.
Will do.

Hang out with Bonnie as much as possible. It introduces a lot of game mechanics. I'm usually a guy who avoids storyline missions like the plague but the pacing of this game has been working for me and I feel like I've been making solid progress so far.
OK. I've mostly been avoiding her and sticking around Armadillo, doing little side missions and bounties.

Guy being hanged? Not sure how coyotes factor into that.
2 little side missions (I guess) where a guy is being chased by coyotes, I didn't kill the coyotes in time (also happened last night with a woman running away), another side mission event type thing is a guy rides up to you about his mate being hanged, well I didn't kill the badguys in time to stop the hanging.

I did catch some coyotes chasing a dude, and thanks to Dead Aim Level 2, I unknowingly nicked the guy's leg while clearing them out, which caused me to become wanted, etc. etc. total bullshit. I did have a great sequence where some store owner got robbed so I went after the thief on horseback, lassoed him and decided to drag him back to town. When time came to turn him in I found he didn't survive the ride, however. Oops.
Yeah, you've got to be extra careful about drawing yoru gun and shooting. I killed three top-hat wearing cowboys who were dragging a guy through Armadillo but missed the forth and hit a woman behind. The fan was covered in brown stuff afterwards. I've decided that if I become wanted, I'm going to provoke my own death and start afresh. So far I've maybe missed 2 or 3 minutes of gameplay by doing this.

Lastly, last night I was wandering Mexico trying to solve on of the ridiculously convoluted Treasure Maps and ran into three soldiers on a cliffside about to execute a man (by gun or push, not really sure). Without a moment's hesitation I blasted the three and the guy they were going kill just started running. Uh, not a good sign. I got fame and no dishonor from killing the guards, but a guilty man doesn't run – he begs me to untie him. So I blasted him (and lost honor). No winning that one I guess.
I'm not near as far into it as you are, but I really do find it difficult knowing who to shoot sometimes. Its easy if they're shooting at you but when I hear shooting, I usually draw my gun and that alone can provoke someone shooting you who if you kill them you get the law hunting you down. You'd have thought that with all the help that you give the Marshall in Armadillo, that people who are good-guys wouldn't just open up on you if you draw your gun.

Surprisingly, I've only run into one so far – I wrecked a carriage in single-player and was paralyzed myself. I had to reload from a previous save and lost like 20 minutes of progress.
I don't know if its a glitch, but you have to convince a Rose to go back to her husband to get info from him. It says either threaten or hogtie her. Well I couldn't figure out how to do either. Tried using a knife, fists, rifle and pistol (have a guess what happened when the pistol or rifle were drawn). DO I have to buy a rope to have the ability to hogtie someone?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2011, 11:00 AM

OK. I've mostly been avoiding her and sticking around Armadillo, doing little side missions and bounties.
I don't know if its a glitch, but you have to convince a Rose to go back to her husband to get info from him. It says either threaten or hogtie her. Well I couldn't figure out how to do either. Tried using a knife, fists, rifle and pistol (have a guess what happened when the pistol or rifle were drawn). DO I have to buy a rope to have the ability to hogtie someone?
Yeah, I ran into the same thing. Doing missions with Bonnie you eventually get introduced to the lasso. Her missions serve to introduce to you to many of the early gameplay elements.

2 little side missions (I guess) where a guy is being chased by coyotes, I didn't kill the coyotes in time (also happened last night with a woman running away), another side mission event type thing is a guy rides up to you about his mate being hanged, well I didn't kill the badguys in time to stop the hanging.
Definitely not see the latter yet.

Yeah, you've got to be extra careful about drawing yoru gun and shooting. I killed three top-hat wearing cowboys who were dragging a guy through Armadillo but missed the forth and hit a woman behind. The fan was covered in brown stuff afterwards. I've decided that if I become wanted, I'm going to provoke my own death and start afresh. So far I've maybe missed 2 or 3 minutes of gameplay by doing this.
I have a better one. I met a stranger, struck a deal with him and started to leave. Stopped for a moment to adjust something and all of a sudden he bolts past me and starts firing at some woman in the distance? I am all WTF and instantly pull my gun and drop the guy. -100 Honor. After a few more moments the woman gets closer and I see she's being chased by wolves.

I'm not near as far into it as you are, but I really do find it difficult knowing who to shoot sometimes. Its easy if they're shooting at you but when I hear shooting, I usually draw my gun and that alone can provoke someone shooting you who if you kill them you get the law hunting you down. You'd have thought that with all the help that you give the Marshall in Armadillo, that people who are good-guys wouldn't just open up on you if you draw your gun.
Yeah, and if you hesitate, you risk you life because they may get a few shots off on you.

---

Somewhat OT but I played some Black Ops last night. Jesus that just highlights how terrible 3rd person game control are. It was smoother and almost two fast. Half the time I can't figure out if the reticule is going to be on over my right or left shoulder in this damn game. Let alone the choppy movement and the lack of distinction in movement rates between scoped and unscoped weapons.

---

Back on topic, I'm having serious issues with the weapons wheel in this game. It utterly inconsistent what weapon you will have equipped at times. Shoot some wolves, get of your horse, skin it, get back on your horse. Press left trigger; what weapon will you pull out? I find this answer varies.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2011, 02:16 PM

The AI does need some work. Is the GTA stuff as frustrating?

I'm still not sure if I can classify my feelings towards 3rd person games as hatred or not. There are times (especially in gunfights) where Mr. Marston is just NOT doing as you command. I feel that controlling how you look at a character with one thumb and how that character moves with the other is not intuitive. I wonder if programming games for 1st or 3rd person is easier - I always assumed that 1st person would be easier.

Having been killed after bringing a knife to a gunfight a few times. I always equip the rifle after skinning something. I haven't had an issue since doing this. And, is the knife used for anythign other than skinning? The Wiki has some missions that talk about getting 100% accuracy by using the knife, but I don't think that I can be arsed.

For those that haven't got this, the environment is just fabulous. I was walking about during the night and the scenery, the animals, the bushes moving as you brush them with your leg - just great attention to detail. The floating boxes I mentioned earlier make you wonder if they had the different companies working on different parts (country side company A, vehicles company B etc etc) of the game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2011, 02:41 PM

The AI does need some work. Is the GTA stuff as frustrating?
GTA is leagues dumber.

I'm still not sure if I can classify my feelings towards 3rd person games as hatred or not. There are times (especially in gunfights) where Mr. Marston is just NOT doing as you command. I feel that controlling how you look at a character with one thumb and how that character moves with the other is not intuitive. I wonder if programming games for 1st or 3rd person is easier - I always assumed that 1st person would be easier.
Well, I imagine FPS is much more straight forward. I suppose 3rd person is exactly like playing outside the car in racing games. I always notice the slight delay in the car reacting to your controls, and I find it intolerable. Still, I swear AC:B didn't frustrate me like this. Ubisoft must have made Enzo far more responsive. It's a big reason i was so impressed by that game.

For those that haven't got this, the environment is just fabulous. I was walking about during the night and the scenery, the animals, the bushes moving as you brush them with your leg - just great attention to detail. The floating boxes I mentioned earlier make you wonder if they had the different companies working on different parts (country side company A, vehicles company B etc etc) of the game.
The lighting, my god the lighting. The clouds casting shadows over the plains impressed me. Rays of light breaking through clouds wowed me. But seeing light broken by a power line post absolutely dropped my jaw. They put a lot of work into the lighting system.

I've already watched a few sunrises just because. Night is pretty impressive, though I sometimes find it too lit (though I concede that it needs to occur for playability). My only complaint about the graphics has to be the moon is a little jaggy and the stars tinkle/alias too much when moving the camera around.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2011, 12:31 AM

I have a better one. I met a stranger, struck a deal with him and started to leave. Stopped for a moment to adjust something and all of a sudden he bolts past me and starts firing at some woman in the distance? I am all WTF and instantly pull my gun and drop the guy. -100 Honor. After a few more moments the woman gets closer and I see she's being chased by wolves.
I had one at night where a man was being chased by 3 guys with guns and screaming for help. My natural reaction of course was to blast the guys chasing him only to find out they were law men. Up goes my wanted level, LOL!

My favorite is accepting a side mission from a marshall who had 2 prisoners escape. Hog tie them and bring them back to the wounded marshall. What does the marshall do? He blasts them in the dome. Haha!

Bogues, seriously, how much time did it take you to get 100% completion? The amount of things you have to do are ridiculous! The hunting challenges get pretty tough. How the hell do you kill a grizzly bear using a knife?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
I had one at night where a man was being chased by 3 guys with guns and screaming for help. My natural reaction of course was to blast the guys chasing him only to find out they were law men. Up goes my wanted level, LOL!
Happened to me as well, I just got myself killed for it and all was forgotten.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 25, 2011, 02:19 PM

I seem to be less uptight about dying this game, or I was until I found out it does cost you stuff, but I have no way of telling what.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2011, 06:32 PM

Getting into this heavily now. Lassoing is a bit of a pain though.

Since you mentioned it Dakar, I've been looking out for the light effects. The shadow when you ride the houre and its early morning is amazing.

There are areas that really shouldn't have happened though. You get a horse by roping and breaking it. If you then go to sleep in your purchased room in Armadillo you'll wake up to the same horse but saddled up. You should be made to buy a saddle.

You meet Jenny (chick from the train) and she's sick. If you have medicine on you, you only have to walk away, then turn right around to give it to her. There should have been some sort of time restriction or you should have to get a different medicine than the one given in the beginning.

Switched to camera mode for the horse and all is well with the world.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2011, 06:55 PM

Just got done in by a mountain lion. I was on my horse and a mountain lion attacked me and killed the horse. Then another came and attacked me and I shot it and then skinned it. Then just as I was walking over to a skunk that I had shot, another mountain lion jumped on me and this time he killed me.

Think that I may do a bit less travelling at night.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2011, 01:57 AM

You mean a cougar right?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 26, 2011, 03:31 AM

I hammered the hell out of this game today.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
You mean a cougar right?
Yeah same thing. Puma, cougar, mountain lion etc. Two swipes of his claws and it killed me. And I didn't regenerate health fast enough to take a shot.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 26, 2011, 06:20 PM

Well, I'm up to 75% completion. Interesting fact: Don't cheat at Thieve's Landing unless you'd like to be attacked nearly every tie you pass through for the rest of your life. And speaking of cheating I've tried it three times and not come close to success. The needles just seems to fly when I center it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules