Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > This week only: $69 iPod (edu), free printer with any Apple laptop

This week only: $69 iPod (edu), free printer with any Apple laptop
nagromme
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 08:02 AM

Just a reminder. This isn't new--BUT the deadline for these two great deals is up this Saturday, and they DO apply to the new PowerBooks! (Any Apple laptop except the lowest, CD-only iBook.)

The printer deal is for everyone (US$100 off any HP: an all-in-one with scanner is $49).

The $200-off iPod deal (such as 10 GB for $69) is only for education folks. (And there's a PDF coupon for combining both deals: $300 total off the bundle. I've seen conflicting info on whether you must buy all 3 items at the same time--I think you do have to have them on one invoice.)

Both deals expire on the 27th (PDF rebate coupons). BUT I called the rebate number and got an answer from a supervisor: they said as long as you ORDER by the 27th you are fine. You do NOT need to have the items in your hands by then. A backorder will not be a problem. That wasn't clear from the coupon.

12" PowerBook 1GHz with 256 RAM (and one free slot), USB 2, DVI out, and new GPU
plus HP printer
plus iPod 10 GB

Total $1468, shipped free. (Edu pricing. Lucky bums--I wish I qualified.)

Not bad! Especially if Panther comes out quick enough to get you a discount on that too. Plus there's the discounts on Final Cut and Keynote with a Mac. (And educators can even throw in MS Office for $149.)

Here's the combined deal for edu buyers:
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...rms073003.html

And here's just the printer/all-in-one deal for the rest of us:
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...they_rave.html

Look at the end of the fine print in the PDFs and you'll find the 800 number for any questions on each deal.
nagromme

PBG4 User
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 08:55 AM

I picked up a 15" PB last weekend, and ended up getting a 30GB iPod on closeout for $398 before the $200 rebate. So, I'll end up paying $200 for a 30GB iPod. Not a bad deal IMO.

videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 10:56 AM

I think they just sucked me back into a mac laptop, I had the 17" before, big sucker, now looking to the 12"

the ipod is the kicker, I just canceled my backordered one.

damn them, the only beef I ever had with mac laptops is the ONE FRIGGIN BUTTON

still love them tho

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 11:22 AM

I was just about to pick up the phone and call Apple about this very thing. I thought I was in the clear and my new PowerBook and iPod would be here tomorrow, but this morning I discovered that Airborne has no idea where my PowerBook is and my iPod won't ship until the 25th.

Combined with the fact that UPS delivered my RAM upgrade to the wrong house and won't do anything about it unless I file a report with Crucial, this is turning out to be a rather stressful delivery.

Tomster
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by nagromme:
(Edu pricing. Lucky bums--I wish I qualified.)
Sign up for a class at the local community college. Pay for all of your reg fees and class fees. Not a bad way to support your local school system. You are now technically a student. Now whether or not you actually go to any of your classes....

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 11:57 PM

Bruno: don't worry. You ordered them together, you made the deadline, you're in the clear. It's OK if they arrive late--you have time before you actually have to mail in the coupon. 9/27 is the ORDER deadline.

Tomster: I've thought about it
nagromme

CobaltGT
Sep 24, 2003, 12:15 AM

the rebate is not vaild with refurbished iPOds? ie 30gb?

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 12:25 AM

Good question--the rebate just says "iPod" but check the fine print on the PDF: at the end is an 800 # that has all those answers.
nagromme

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2003, 02:56 AM

all the products must be NEW, so that means no refurbs.

it's a great deal, it even beats out an ADC discount.

-g

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 07:07 AM

Maybe this is why I'm a student. I've found my purpose in school...

I placed my order on Monday. Hope it ships BEFORE the expected ship date. Dream on, eh?

I reread the rebate form and it says you must order all three products at the same time to qualify for the rebate (that is if you also want the printer).

I didn't know about that and had assumed I was to buy the printer at another time in a real store because I didn't see the printer option when I was ordering online. Meh, who cares; we have enough printer at home. Now give me my PB and iPod!

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 04:01 PM

Yes--personally I don't get edu pricing, so no iPod for me, only the printer deal applies--and I already have one so who cares! I'll wait for Panther to be included, or some future promotion maybe. (Preferably involving an iPod!)

I should point out too that Apple almost always has SOME free printer deal with EVERY Mac. This HP deal will end on the 27th but another will be announced for some printer brand(s). (But this current promo is the first I can recall that can be used to get an all-in-one with scanner cheap. $49--not bad.)
nagromme

kafka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 04:53 PM

Which HP all-in-one is $49.00?

So far, the cheapest one I've found is $199.

http://eden.is.dreaming.org
photo galleries: europa

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 05:49 PM

There's an HP printer/scanner at Apple.com for $149--then subtract the $100 Apple rebate and it's $49.

It's the PSC2110:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...489-79490.html
nagromme

kafka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 12:33 AM

Hmm...

I can't seem to find that model at the Apple Store (online) -- The only HP all-in-ones I see are the PSC2210 for $299 and the PSC2175 for $199.

Anybody know the model for $149 on Apple's site? I'd really like to buy it.

Thanks.
http://eden.is.dreaming.org
photo galleries: europa

EvanV
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 01:17 AM

Damn, Apple.ca only offers one printer....

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 02:06 AM

I swear I found that 2110 all-in-one a few weeks ago on Apple.com first--and THEN tracked it down at the HP site via Google. But I no longer can find it at Apple.com! Discontinued? Maybe you should call and ask--maybe it can be ordered by phone still? The others are higher-end and probably worth the extra $50, but still, the price on that 2110 was nice.

Can you perhaps buy from another reseller, and thus get the PSC 2110 on the same invoice as the 'Book?
nagromme

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 06:18 PM

I don't know if bumping is terrible etiquette, but the deadline's tomorrow... and it's nice to get the clearance promo from the old models applied to the new ones!
nagromme

EvanV
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 06:21 PM

JUST ordered myn with the bundle! 15.2'' SuperDrive, Canon i450 Jet and 40 GB iPod

abo
Sep 27, 2003, 01:45 AM

Are you sure about this? On the pdf sheet it says that you must "take possession of qualifying product" on or before Sept 27.

This is important to me, since I'm willing to pay $169 for an iPod but not $369. And since I (or rather my mother!) will be ordering for me from the Apple Store, there is no way I can take possession today.

If someone has talked on the phone to an Apple representative who has assured them that ordering on or before Sept. 27 suffices, could they post the person's name?

Thanks.

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Sep 27, 2003, 02:11 AM

I did call Apple, and asked about that "posession" language--and you can try too even if it's the weekend. (Call the number in the fine print of the PDF--NOT the main Apple number.) I can understand wanting to be sure and not having to face returning an unwanted iPod!

I don't remember the person's name, but she was very clear that possession was not needed. She said it could be backordered for weeks and my friend would still get the deal.

And here's why I find that easy to believe:

1. That "possession" language could be there purely for preventing layaway situations at brick-and-mortar stores.

2. It's not in your control when you get it! Backorders, shipping loss, etc.--not fair to blame you for things you can't know when you order.

3. They ask for no proof of when you got it, only your invoice. If you can get an invoice dated Saturday (and I'd ask and make sure it didn't become Monday--or go to a physical store) then I don't see how the rebate center would find out when you took possession. I doubt they run FedEx tracking numbers on every rebate.

Also, even if you can get the guy you order from (get a name) to tell you it's OK, that's ammunition you have later when you go for the rebate--or as a last resort, when you want to return the iPod for a full refund.

I didn't order myself--I was researching for a friend--but that's my take. Good luck!
nagromme

EvanV
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 02:21 AM

Hrmm, my printer ship date is 11/25/03.... And UPC codes and forms need to be in by 11/15/03.... WTF?

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Sep 27, 2003, 02:42 AM

2 month backorder on a printer??? Worth a call to Apple for sure. HOPEFULLY that backorder won't really be that long!
nagromme

EvanV
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by nagromme:
2 month backorder on a printer??? Worth a call to Apple for sure. HOPEFULLY that backorder won't really be that long!
Yeah, tell me about it. I even called the rep that sold me it and emailed him several times and he just doesn't answer. He even forgot to add stuff to my order that I ordered (like .Mac).

EvanV
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 02:46 AM

Oh yeah, left a msg for the rebate center. Said they would get back to me when they open

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Sep 27, 2003, 03:26 AM

Cross your fingers that they have Saturday hours! (They SHOULD, if the rebate deadline is a Saturday.)
nagromme

Forum Links
Forum Rules