Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > XBox vs Wii U (plus Lego Dimensions)

XBox vs Wii U (plus Lego Dimensions)
andi*pandi
Oct 30, 2015, 11:31 AM

Anyone want to play this? I have a feeling it will be on the Santa list. I'm a little leary of another "Collect the figures" game as it can be expensive and a PITA to find rare sets (FU Skylander Light Expansion Pack), however the chance to play Batman and Doctor Who together just sounds fun.

We would have to upgrade our Wii to a Wii U, which is another factor. Would be nice to keep playing all our Wii games, eventually put old Wii in future basement game room. Or would a PS3-4/XBox be a better investment and just keep the old wii set up?
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Nov 18, 2015 at 07:46 PM. )

andi*pandi  (op)
Nov 18, 2015, 07:46 PM

Anyone care to weigh in on the xbox vs wii U predicament?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 18, 2015, 09:21 PM

Other than Lego, it depends on what you want to play. The PS4/Xbox One are very powerful systems.

The Wii won't light on fire when/if you get a competing console.

P
Nov 19, 2015, 04:52 AM

The Wii U will be a very short-lived console, if you get one now. There is a replacement in the works, probably release for next holiday season. A PS4 may be a better investment, but then, it all depends on what games you want to play on it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi  (op)
Nov 20, 2015, 04:02 PM

Thanks guys. I've been swayed to consider the PS4... hate to buy something about to be outdated, maybe we'll get a WiiU if there's another game next year that pulls us that way. Just have to clear space for ol' Wii to sit next to new shiny PS4.

plus this bundle looks sweet.

Sony PlayStation 4 500GB Star Wars Battlefront Bundle Black 3001356 - Best Buy

Look forward to many annoying stupid questions from me about best controllers.

ibook_steve
Nov 21, 2015, 04:10 PM

Games for the Wii U currently available that will "pull you away":

Super Mario Maker
Smash Bros. for Wii U
Super Mario 3D World
Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Yoshi's Wooly World
Next year: Star Fox Zero and Zelda Wii U

Yes, I have a PS4 as well (only game I like on it currently is Arkham Knight), but I keep coming back to the Wii U.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

P
Nov 23, 2015, 12:30 PM

Both MS and Sony have $300 bundles out for Black Friday. We didn't touch on Xbone versus the PS4, but... they mostly get the same games. They both have first party stuff, and some time-limited exclusives, but it is mostly the same this time around. The PS4 tends to run a little better as it has more powerful graphics, while I've heard that the latest MS software is better. Personally I'd go with the PS4 right now.

Being an old Nintendo kid myself, I have a lot of sympathy for them, but in all honesty: The Wii U only makes sense if you love those old Nintendo first party franchises. It has failed in the market and Nintendo is openly speaking about its successor (codename "NX"). The Wii U Zelda is likely to be its last hurrah, and Nintendo tends to port such late first-party games to the next console as well (cf Twilight Princess).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2015, 01:21 PM

All about the exclusives like P said. Is it for the kids or Mr. andi*pandi, or both?

andi*pandi  (op)
Nov 23, 2015, 03:23 PM

It's for the kids, one younger who likes minecraft, skylanders, mario kart and lego type games, and one older who plays games like minecraft, terraria, portal, Team Fortress and anything he can get his hands on. When friends come over everyone still gravitates to Mario Kart, so multiplayer games are very handy.

A PS4 would give him more big kid options although we'd probably steer clear of Call of Duty etc for a while. Star Wars Battlefront would be up his alley... but after some reading, it's only multiplayer online with annual fee... so two kids couldn't play side by side?

I've been curious about, but not gotten any requests for, Zelda etc. Doubtless they'd be cool, but lego dimensions is what's been requested.

P
Nov 23, 2015, 06:51 PM

I'm sure there are many in this forum who know this better than I, but...

Most "serious" multiplayer games these days are one player per console over the network against someone who has the same brand of console (so no playing of PS4 against Xbone). Both manufacturers run network services, called Playstation Network and Xbox Live, with a free tier and a paid tier, where the paid tier is required for online play. It is one fee for all games, though. Local multiplayer games, sometimes called party games, generally don't require a subscription, but the generic single-player game is unlikely to have a mode like that. Most single-player games have some sort of online multiplayer though.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2015, 04:25 AM

The split screen stuff (2 players side-by-side) depends on the game, not the console that you choose. Yeah don't forget if you want to play online, you have to pay (I got Xbox Live Gold for 40€, you can find deals - never buy via your console its always more expensive).

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 3, 2016, 02:49 PM

We ended up with PS4. Got a $300 deal with Star Wars.

Lego Dimensions is a hit, but requires a small child willing to jump up and move player pieces around. Star wars games, even retro ones, seem cool. Kids used xmas money to buy terraria, shovel knight, and minecraft story mode. Was annoying having to create another Playstation Network user to have multiplayer in Terraria, but once set up they are enjoying it. Minecraft story is fun, but less of a game than an interactive movie.

Brothers is still in shrinkwrap, and older kid is angling for Fallout4 and Destiny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules