Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > All Star Game

All Star Game (Page 2)
gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2004, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:
the baseball world does not revolve around Rickey Henderson and FYI: Barry Bonds is a much better player than Rickey will every be

� Barry has hit more singles than Rickey has hit Home Runs
� Barry is a thief too, he is the only member of the 500 500 club

Runs Scored is important only as a team stat, not individual. Please refer to Barry Bonds total RBI output compared to Rickey...
Wow...so does it revolve around Barry Bonds? Just wondering.

Are you again shocked that a clean-up hitter has more career RBI's than a lead-off hitter? Please refer to all other lead-off hitters career RBI's...
  • Rickey has more MLB World Championships than Barry.
  • Rickey is All-Time leader in Lead-off HR's...so call him a "Power Hitter" as well based off your reasonings above.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Wow...so does it revolve around Barry Bonds? Just wondering.

Are you again shocked that a clean-up hitter has more career RBI's than a lead-off hitter? Please refer to all other lead-off hitters career RBI's...
  • Rickey has more MLB World Championships than Barry.
  • Rickey is All-Time leader in Lead-off HR's...so call him a "Power Hitter" as well based off your reasonings above.
i am not saying rickey wasnt amazing as a leadoff hitter... i am just saying bonds, although he is a ginormous douche, is a better hitter

if you put barry bonds in the leadoff spot he would be a better leadoff hitter than rickey was

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 06:33 PM

Those stats meaning nothing except for that fact that Bonds hasn't played as long as Henderson has (yet) is all.

SB's are overrated? Ironic. I was thinking HR's were these days...
no it means that if barry bonds were to retire today it would mean that bonds would have scored 2% more often per at bat... thats not even counting runs batted in... stealing is all well and good, but it doesn't score a run like a HR does

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2004, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
i am not saying rickey wasnt amazing as a leadoff hitter... i am just saying bonds, although he is a ginormous douche, is a better hitter
True.

if you put barry bonds in the leadoff spot he would be a better leadoff hitter than rickey was
False for various reasons. He would be a better "hitter", but he wouldn't be able to create walks like Rickey could and definitely could not move around the bases like Rickey. Therefore, making Rickey the better lead-off hitter overall.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2004, 06:41 PM

...stealing is all well and good, but it doesn't score a run like a HR does
I'd say, for Rickey in particular (not so much others), that's not true. Rickey doesn't own the All-Time runs record for nothing. And for having far less HR's than Bonds, he sure as hell has a TON more runs scored. Why? He put himself in scoring position more often than not by stealing.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 06:54 PM

I'd say, for Rickey in particular (not so much others), that's not true. Rickey doesn't own the All-Time runs record for nothing. And for having far less HR's than Bonds, he sure as hell has a TON more runs scored. Why? He put himself in scoring position more often than not by stealing.
like i said rickey is good, but i would credit his massive numbers of runs scored to his ability to get on base more that his ability to steal.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2004, 06:58 PM

like i said rickey is good, but i would credit his massive numbers of runs scored to his ability to get on base more that his ability to steal.
I'd say they go hand 'n hand...you don't get the record without excelling in both. Cobb (the former runs record holder) was great at both as well. It just makes sense.

However, you of course have to give credit to all of Rickey's teammates who have also driven him in game after game once he gets on base.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 07:16 PM

I'd say they go hand 'n hand...you don't get the record without excelling in both. Cobb (the former runs record holder) was great at both as well. It just makes sense.

However, you of course have to give credit to all of Rickey's teammates who have also driven him in game after game once he gets on base.
i am almost positive that if you looked at the correlation between scoring a run and stealing a base on the same at bat that the correlation would not be very strong at all... on the other hand the correlation between scoring a run and getting on base is 1

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2004, 07:20 PM

i am almost positive that if you looked at the correlation between scoring a run and stealing a base on the same at bat that the correlation would not be very strong at all... on the other hand the correlation between scoring a run and getting on base is 1
Either way, Rickey does both better than anybody else in MLB history.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2004, 08:26 PM

[*]Rickey is All-Time leader in Lead-off HR's...so call him a "Power Hitter" as well based off your reasonings above.[/list]

NO!

call him a lead-off hitter with power. if he had significantly better numbers he would be a 3-4 hitter. and if he was a 3-4 hitter, he would NOT be the greatest anybody of all time because he would not have been as good as he was hitting first.

3-4 hitters like Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig are recognizeed as the most skilled hitters on the team. That is a baseball fact.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2004, 08:33 PM

False for various reasons. He would be a better "hitter", but he wouldn't be able to create walks like Rickey could and definitely could not move around the bases like Rickey. Therefore, making Rickey the better lead-off hitter overall.

Barry Bonds would not have been better than Rickey leading-off because Barry Bonds is too talented to be wasted as a lead-off hitter.

He's going to be the first 700/500 man next year. Barry could have held his own.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2004, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
Barry Bonds would not have been better than Rickey leading-off because Barry Bonds is too talented to be wasted as a lead-off hitter.

He's going to be the first 700/500 man next year. Barry could have held his own.
Of course not, that's why you can't compare a lead-off hitter with a clean-up hitter statistically. They both have different objectives up at the plate. Bonds, especially the "younger days" Bonds, was very apt to striking out and swining at bad pitches. That wouldn't fly in the lead-off position. Rickey only has 200 more strikeouts than Barry, with Rickey having about 8-9 years more experience.

Simply put...Rickey wouldn't be as good as a clean-up hitter, as Bonds wouldn't be as good as a lead-off hitter.

And while 700/500 is remarkable, I don't take shame in knowing that Rickey is only 3 HR's short of 1400+/300...

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2004, 10:52 PM

actually � argument for argument's sake

I remember Rickey hitting leadoff for the yanks in the mattingly days...

he was pretty nice. recently, having soriano hit lead-off reminded me of him. starting off the game with a 1-0 lead is quite nasty.

I think if a team really wanted to � they could challenge the pre-defined rules of line-up hitting and their duties. Right now Bernie Williams is leading off a lot for the yanks and he was a 3 hitter for awhile with NY. I remember Brady Anderson in his steroid infused body doing a lot of damage leading off games too in his special drug induced year.

_______

700/500 is not remarkable. IT IS FILTHY DISGUSTING NASTY stat. That's greatest evar teritory.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2004, 11:11 PM

700/500 is not remarkable. IT IS FILTHY DISGUSTING NASTY stat. That's greatest evar teritory.
1400/300 is a "nobody will even come close, so stop trying now" kind of stat.

Nobody can ever be considered the greatest ever until they win a damn championship...or a few...

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 09:04 AM

1400/300 is a "nobody will even come close, so stop trying now" kind of stat.

Nobody can ever be considered the greatest ever until they win a damn championship...or a few...
1400/300?

I don't even know what you are referring to in those numbers. I assume 1400 is steals. 300 is...? (teams? just kidding)

700/500 puts barry in that "greatest ever" list though however. rickey's other notable stats are probably even more important. such as 3000 hits and the 2nd highest walk total.

I would say the "greatest ever" title goes to a "Michael Jordan" type player. Namely: Stats, Championships and your name becomes an adjective rather than a noun. I'm talking about Babe Ruth.
snappy

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 09:40 AM

Either way, Rickey does both better than anybody else in MLB history.

bonds has a higher on base percentage

damn it... i can't believe i am defending barry bonds

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2004, 10:24 AM

1400/300?

I don't even know what you are referring to in those numbers. I assume 1400 is steals. 300 is...? (teams? just kidding)
Haha, close with the teams indeed! However, it's HR's! Surprised? Not bad for a lead-off hitter, eh?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2004, 10:26 AM

bonds has a higher on base percentage
Yeah, because he hasn't played as long as Rickey...

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 10:40 AM

Yeah, because he hasn't played as long as Rickey...
that makes no sense... its a percentage that is normalized over at bats

henderson's carreer high on base percentage for a season is only .06 higher than bonds average...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2004, 11:05 AM

that makes no sense... its a percentage that is normalized over at bats

henderson's carreer high on base percentage for a season is only .06 higher than bonds average...
gobonds.

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 01:48 PM

Haha, close with the teams indeed! However, it's HR's! Surprised? Not bad for a lead-off hitter, eh?
I would say that 300 HRs for Rickey is neither impressive nor unimpressive.

Consistant 15 HRs for 20 yr average is remarkable but 15 a year average is not that big a deal.

Especially since Rickey played and is probably still playing through the new hitting era.
snappy

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2004, 03:06 PM

I would say that 300 HRs for Rickey is neither impressive nor unimpressive.
I don't really argue that; however, when you consider that 81 of those have been of the lead-off variety, that's very impressive...

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 03:19 PM

I don't really argue that; however, when you consider that 81 of those have been of the lead-off variety, that's very impressive...
I don't know what to say...

It is definitely an impressive feat.

But compared to other hall of fame bound players dropping 500+ hitting 3rd or fourth with men in scoring position is more important during the course of a game. (Men on base courtesy of players like Rickey Henderson)
snappy

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 08:04 PM

The 4 most important stats are as follows:

1. Total Hits
2. Homeruns
3. RBIs
4. Walks

Rickey has 2 of the 4 covered nicely

Barry is all over all 4 of them
snappy

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2004, 09:54 PM

The 4 most important stats are as follows:

1. Total Hits
2. Homeruns
3. RBIs
4. Walks
Highly subjective if you ask me...how you don't include "Runs Scored" as the most important of all stats is beyond me. It's the object of the game for pete's sake...

Those you mentioned above look nice on baseball cards. Even there, Rickey is worth more...

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 11:21 PM

I don't know whether you meant enormous or ignoramus, but either way, you're right.

For the style of playing, I don't think you can compare the two players. That would be like comparing a QB against a field goal kicker.

As for the game itself, meh. And I live in Houston. Sosa and Kent blew it defensively in the first, and after that it was a cake walk for the AL. At least I got a pint glass with the All Star logo and played well at pool that night.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2004, 07:22 AM

Highly subjective if you ask me...how you don't include "Runs Scored" as the most important of all stats is beyond me. It's the object of the game for pete's sake...

Those you mentioned above look nice on baseball cards. Even there, Rickey is worth more...
in the context of winning games �_Runs Scored is an important stat.

I think in terms of individual stats to guage a player's importance overall, the 4 stats he listed are right on the money.

A huge Runs Scored total means that he was important in the outcome of the game but that is contextual to the game, season and to the era. 1 (Hits) and 4 (Walks) on the list already indicate whether the player was on base and in position to score.

and if you think about it � 2 (Homeruns) counts as a:
� Hit
� RBI
� ...and a run scored!

thats why power is important and why we luv the homeruns baby!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2004, 10:15 AM

thats why power is important and why we luv the homeruns baby!
And that's fine, as Rickey has possessed probably the most power consistently from the lead-off position.

The (4) stats he mentioned are great to compare individual stats for a 3,4,5-9 hitter...but NOT for lead-off hitters. As I've stated a hundred times, you can't compare these two because they don't hit in the same position and have the same objectives up at the plate.

He claims Henderson is good in 2 of the 4 stats he mentioned. But, for a lead-off hitter, the stats that are of any importance are:
[list=1][*]Walks[*]Stolen Bases[*]Runs Scored[*]OBP%[/list=1]

Henderson excels in all 4 while Bonds is good in 2 of the 4. Why? Different positions in the line-up is all. It doesn't mean one is greater than the other, it just means they are trying to accomplish different things while up at the plate.

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 11:32 AM

[list=1][*]Walks[*]Stolen Bases[*]Runs Scored[*]OBP%[/list=1]

Henderson excels in all 4 while Bonds is good in 2 of the 4. Why? Different positions in the line-up is all. It doesn't mean one is greater than the other, it just means they are trying to accomplish different things while up at the plate.
I would agree with you on that assessment except � get OBP% outta there and:

1. Hits
2. Walks
3. Stolen Bases
4. Home Runs

I agree with you that what made Rickey special is he had consistant power as a leadoff hitter. But move HRs from 2 to 4 and you'll have a better snapshot of what makes an exceptional 1 hitter.

on comparing RH with BB � then according to your statements we should compare RH with only leadoff hitters. That means RH is hands down the best with his career.

but of course that means RH is not in the upper echelon of "greatest ever" as in Bonds, Aaron, Mays, Ruth territory.
snappy

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 12:05 PM

I would agree with you on that assessment except � get OBP% outta there and:

1. Hits
2. Walks
3. Stolen Bases
4. Home Runs

A leadoff hitter's primary job is to get on base, so a walk is just as good as a hit is just as good as reaching base on an error. As long as a leadoff hitter manufactures a way to get on base, he is doing his job.

His secondary job is to score runs. I say secondary because that depends on the ability of his teammates to drive him in, as well as his own ability on the basepaths. Stolen Bases get him in the position to score runs. Home Runs do the entire job at once, but the leadoff hitter's job is to get in position to score, not necessary to bring himself in all the time.

So I would rate things thusly:

1) OBP
2) Runs Scored
3) Stolen Bases
4) Home Runs

As for Barry, his job is to drive in people like Rickey, so RBI would be at the top of his list. His homeruns are much less harmful if he doesn't bring anyone else in with him.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2004, 12:07 PM

In the end it's an unnecessary exercise.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
In the end it's an unnecessary exercise.
You mean baseball, or arguing over baseball statistics?
I would argue that both are necessary.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:

So I would rate things thusly:

1) OBP
2) Runs Scored
3) Stolen Bases
4) Home Runs

I see your logic, however

OBP is hits & walks. I consider hits to be better than walks because a double or triple puts you in scoring position. A hit is more valuable in instances where he is not leading off because a hit will move runners into scoring position. hence why i want them seperated.

Runs Scored is a result of being on base and in scoring position. He does not actually contribute the scoring of himself.
snappy

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 01:13 PM

OBP is hits & walks. I consider hits to be better than walks because a double or triple puts you in scoring position. A hit is more valuable in instances where he is not leading off because a hit will move runners into scoring position. hence why i want them seperated.
A walk + SB is just as good as a double. For that matter, a walk + advancing on an out is just as good as a double in some cases. A good leadoff guy will find multiple ways to get into scoring position without having to hit an extra-base hit. But he can't get into scoring position if he's not on base in the first place.

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 02:14 PM

A walk + SB is just as good as a double. For that matter, a walk + advancing on an out is just as good as a double in some cases. A good leadoff guy will find multiple ways to get into scoring position without having to hit an extra-base hit. But he can't get into scoring position if he's not on base in the first place.
yeah, like i said:

1. Hits
2. Walks
3. Stolen Bases
4. Home Runs

A walk + SB is not as good as a double because it involves risk. And it is not reliable because depending on the game, stealing may not be an option (I-Rod, pitch-out). A double involves no risk and is always possible.
snappy

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 03:10 PM

[BFor that matter, a walk + advancing on an out is just as good as a double in some cases.[/B]
This is the retardness that forms baseball logic. How are these anywhere near to being the same thing. In baseball offense not getting out is the most important thing. It just blows my mind how people can think this way about the game.

Trying to say that someone is doing there job as a leadoff hitter is nonsensical as well. There is no difference between the job of a leadoff hitter and any other hitter in the line up. The job of a hitter is to either score themselves (via a home run) or get on base so someone else can drive them in. There job is to not get an out.

So therefore, On base plus slugging average is the only real hitting stat that makes sense.

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 03:58 PM

Trying to say that someone is doing there job as a leadoff hitter is nonsensical as well. There is no difference between the job of a leadoff hitter and any other hitter in the line up. The job of a hitter is to either score themselves (via a home run) or get on base so someone else can drive them in. There job is to not get an out.

So therefore, On base plus slugging average is the only real hitting stat that makes sense.
your interpretation is a very general description of how baseball offense really operates

the point is not to make outs � but players do not all have the same skill level

that is why they serve roles. lineup orders are specific for this purpose.
snappy

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2004, 04:10 PM

but of course that means RH is not in the upper echelon of "greatest ever" as in Bonds, Aaron, Mays, Ruth territory.
I disagree; Rickey has to be regarded in the upper echelon simply because of what he has accomplished in the game (more than Barry Bonds to this point as well I might add)...

Until Bonds wins a championship (if ever) can you say he has accomplished more than Rickey in his career.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2004, 04:11 PM

the point is not to make outs � but players do not all have the same skill level

that is why they serve roles. lineup orders are specific for this purpose.
Exactly.

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 04:37 PM

I disagree; Rickey has to be regarded in the upper echelon simply because of what he has accomplished in the game (more than Barry Bonds to this point as well I might add)...

Until Bonds wins a championship (if ever) can you say he has accomplished more than Rickey in his career.
for Bonds.... YES.

with all the MVPs he has, he is the most dominant player of his era. (it could have been argued Ken Griffey Jr. was... but his injuries have robbed him of the distinction)

rickey henderson was a great player but was not the most dominant of any era.
snappy

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2004, 05:03 PM

for Bonds.... YES.

with all the MVPs he has, he is the most dominant player of his era. (it could have been argued Ken Griffey Jr. was... but his injuries have robbed him of the distinction)

rickey henderson was a great player but was not the most dominant of any era.
Umm, what era are you calling Bonds has dominated? The "not-over-yet" 2000's? He sure has hell didn't in the 90's, and of course not in the '80's. If you are saying he has recently, then sure. However, I'd venture to say that A-Rod and some others could easily say they have recently. Rickey dominated the game from the mid '80's to early '90's...

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 05:20 PM

Umm, what era are you calling Bonds has dominated? The "not-over-yet" 2000's? He sure has hell didn't in the 90's, and of course not in the '80's. If you are saying he has recently, then sure. However, I'd venture to say that A-Rod and some others could easily say they have recently. Rickey dominated the game from the mid '80's to early '90's...
6 MVPs.

From the 1986 - 2004, who was the best player?
Bonds. He dominated his era.

RH? 1 MVP � 1990. He was certainly not the best player of his active playing days: 1979 - present.

[I define era as the player's active years as his era. In Hall of Fame voting, one of the criteria is: Did the player dominate his playing years as the best player?]

Bonds did through 3 decades and is still going. RH did for 10 seasons with 1 MVP award. So no, RH is not in the same league.
snappy

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 05:26 PM

Unless rickey was winning the championships by himself, I dont see how that has any factor. Championships are great, but a lot of great players have never won one

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2004, 05:26 PM

Bonds did through 3 decades and is still going. RH did for 10 seasons with 1 MVP award. So no, RH is not in the same league.
Bonds has the MVP's, while Rickey has more records and the championships. I'll take what Rickey has anyday over the MVP's.

And, to clarify...Bonds is the best in the "pill-popping" era of baseball. What an accomplishment...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2004, 05:27 PM

Championships are great, but a lot of great players have never won one
Hence, the separation of the "great" and the "greatest"...

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 05:28 PM

Hence, the separation of the "great" and the "greatest"...
yea right... like i said, rickey didnt win any championships by himself... championships show great teams not great individual players

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2004, 05:30 PM

yea right... like i said, rickey didnt win any championships by himself... championships show great teams not great individual players
But great individuals drive their teams to championships, and seeing that Bonds has been the greatest of an era, he hasn't driven his team to a championship. The greatest player on those A's dominating years was indeed Rickey...

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 05:38 PM

But great individuals drive their teams to championships, and seeing that Bonds has been the greatest of an era, he hasn't driven his team to a championship. The greatest player on those A's dominating years was indeed Rickey...
one person can't win a championship, no matter how good they are

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2004, 05:44 PM

one person can't win a championship, no matter how good they are
I'm not saying it was all Henderson...of course he had a great team, but he was the best on a team of good players. So again, Henderson led his team to the championship.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2004, 06:51 PM

I'm not saying it was all Henderson...of course he had a great team, but he was the best on a team of good players. So again, Henderson led his team to the championship.

hold on hold on...you can't be serious right?!?

Didn't Rickey win only once in his 20 year career with the A's in 89'? So he lead for 1 year and forgot how to lead after that? I think he played a role. Ruth, Dimaggio, Gehrig, Mantle, Puckett...those guys lead.

Wasn't Dave Stewart the World Series MVP? Disn't Jose Canseco sock that HR in one of those games? Rickey Henderson was the best player on the team that consisted of Mark McGuire and Dennis Eckersley?

Rickey is not even mentioned in the summary on the mlb website for 1989 WS:
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/hi...p?feature=1989

Forum Links
Forum Rules