Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Recovery ? What recovery ?

Recovery ? What recovery ?
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2012, 12:10 PM

There are still some politicians and US presidents that keep perpetuating the lie that we are in a recovery.
What recovery ?

Spot the odd "recovery" out.

Spot The Odd Labor Market Out | ZeroHedge

This is what trillions of $$$ in additional debt have bought us ?

-t

finboy
Apr 8, 2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
There are still some politicians and US presidents that keep perpetuating the lie that we are in a recovery.
What recovery ?

This is what trillions of $$$ in additional debt have bought us ?

-t
Is this like Python's "Spot the Looney"?

It's not just the deficit, it's the handouts. Handouts to unions (ownership in GM, Chrysler) is a big new one, but solar energy seemed to set a trend there for a while. The extensions of unemployment benefits, the record number of families using food stamps, all those things add up eventually.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2012, 11:59 PM

Zero hedge compares completed recoveries of smaller recessions to the second worst recession in the country's history, while still in the making.
The debt/negative equity incurred in the housing market and credit card "bonanza", pumped by the Fed, is melons compared to food stamps and medicare, which is not such a drain on the government as is military spending.
Although I agree that unemployment aid should be given in exchange of work for the state that is doling it out.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2012, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Zero hedge compares completed recoveries of smaller recessions to the second worst recession in the country's history, while still in the making.
The debt/negative equity incurred in the housing market and credit card "bonanza", pumped by the Fed, is melons compared to food stamps and medicare, which is not such a drain on the government as is military spending.
Although I agree that unemployment aid should be given in exchange of work for the state that is doling it out.

Medicare spending far exceeds our military spending, actually.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2012, 03:04 AM

Recent Cycles? More like random cycles.

I guess it shows how bad the Bush recession was from 2008-2009.
( Last edited by hyteckit; Apr 9, 2012 at 03:11 AM. )
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Recent Cycles? More like random cycles.

I guess it shows how bad the Bush recession was from 2008-2009.
It's been almost 4 years since 2008. It's time for Obama to put on his big boy panties, see that he made things worse instead of better, and realize that he can't keep blaming the other guy for his inability to fix things he's responsible for now. I thought I've seen all the blame shifting I could, until this weekend when they had the temerity to try and blame Bush for their decision to keep increasing the extravagance in how they ran the GSA. LOL

If he can't do it, another guy most likely can. Reagan inherited a terrible economy. GWB didn't go into the game with a booming economy either. Both did a better job getting and keeping things going than the current guy. Asking to keep a job from a position where you're saying you're doing the best you can do with the lousy economic numbers we have isn't coming with very strong game. He's going to need some kind of miracle.
( Last edited by stupendousman; Apr 9, 2012 at 06:55 AM. )

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2012, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
It's been almost 4 years since 2008. It's time for Obama to put on his big boy panties, see that he made things worse instead of better, and realize that he can't keep blaming the other guy for his inability to fix things he's responsible for now.
Pfff, that will never happen.

Obama's grand-kids will still blame Bush, like for their bad student grades and what not.

-t

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post

If he can't do it, another guy most likely can. Reagan inherited a terrible economy. GWB didn't go into the game with a booming economy either. Both did a better job getting and keeping things going than the current guy. Asking to keep a job from a position where you're saying you're doing the best you can do with the lousy economic numbers we have isn't coming with very strong game. He's going to need some kind of miracle.
BS.

Look at the graph. Reagan started at 0.0 Employment to population ratio. Same for Pres. Bush, which is pretty much 0.0 Employment to population ratio.

Pres. Obama started with -0.06, the largest drop in employment in recent history. Economy was in a free fall from Pres. Bush before Pres. Obama even took office.

Knowing that Pres. Obama started with a -0.06, Pres. Obama is actually doing a better job than Pres. Reagan.

unemployment:
Oct. 1980: 7.5%
(inherit stable employment)
Jan 1981: 7.5%
March 1984: 7.8%

Oct. 2008: 6.5%
(inherit free falling employment)
Jan 2009: 7.8%
March 2012: 8.2%
( Last edited by hyteckit; Apr 9, 2012 at 09:39 AM. )
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2012, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Kudos to you, besson, pleasantly surprised to see you post that fact.

I'm amazed that most people get that point so wrong, though. Its not difficult to find the numbers online. One year of Social Security and Medicare spending is equivalent to 10 years in Iraq and Afghanistan combined, yet people think the military and "Bush's wars" are the most immense drain on our resources. And just to repeat myself for good measure, military spending is explicitly Constitutional, whereas Entitlements are not.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2012, 05:43 AM

I really don't understand why you feel the need to repeat your opinion of entitlements being unconstitutional 290384029348 times. At this point it doesn't matter, they aren't going away based on an argument of constitutionality, because if they are indeed unconstitutional they've been unconstitutional for decades, and surely would have been challenged in court if this was so.

P.S. How is the Newt 2012 Republican Revolution coming along? Yes, this is a dick question, but I'm just thinking you might want to update your signature

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2012, 05:48 AM

It can't be stated often enough.

As for my signature, I'll keep it as is until Newt officially exits the race. I still wholeheartedly support him.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
How about we cut BOTH in half. Deal ?

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
How about we cut BOTH in half. Deal ?

-t

Yes, but this only makes sense to me after our health care system has been overhauled substantially to help sustain this. If you cut Medicare in half you'll put many hospitals out of business in having to write off ER visits from Medicare eligible patients with no Medicare money to support their visit, and no money to pay for their own visit.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It can't be stated often enough.
How you don't see this as a waste of your time is beyond me.

As for my signature, I'll keep it as is until Newt officially exits the race. I still wholeheartedly support him.
Revolution though? Really? Is this really the word you choose?

Forum Links
Forum Rules