Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > microsoft access

microsoft access
mykel
Feb 14, 2005, 07:44 AM

I am running mac 9.2 and need to use microsoft access for data base course,
can some one tell me if I have to use virtual pc, or is there an alternative to run this programme.
I know there are other applications to use for building data bases, this is the one we will be using.
thanks

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2005, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by mykel:
I am running mac 9.2 and need to use microsoft access for data base course,
can some one tell me if I have to use virtual pc, or is there an alternative to run this programme.
I know there are other applications to use for building data bases, this is the one we will be using.
thanks
Well first there isn't an Access for Mac (os9 or OSX). So you can only execute MS access in windows, so again your choises are limited, a cheap pc or VPC. I went with the VPC option and its pretty decent. Concensus is that it runs best with win2k, but I found winxp (with all of the eye candy turned off) to be decent.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2005, 10:29 AM

There is, sadly, nothing like Access on the Mac. However, as Maflynn mentioned, Virtual PC works well if all you're going to be doing is Access stuff. I wouldn't use VPC for big production-level databases, but then, I wouldn't use Access for those either, particularly not for a class.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 10:33 AM

If you're looking for Access-like things, look at FileMaker and 4th Dimension. If you absolutely have to use Access, use Virtual PC.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 14, 2005, 11:32 PM

Weeeelll... I found that Access didn't work right in VPC. It refused to open anything from the window within the database (the one that holds all the tables, layouts, queries, etc), rendering it unusable.

I'd recommend spending $400 on a super-cheapy PC if you must use Access, or go with one of the databases mentioned above if you don't.

tooki

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
There is, sadly, nothing like Access on the Mac. However, as Maflynn mentioned, Virtual PC works well if all you're going to be doing is Access stuff. I wouldn't use VPC for big production-level databases, but then, I wouldn't use Access for those either, particularly not for a class.
The only sad thing is that someone would require anyone to use Access. Probably one of the worst things MS has ever done.

Daemon2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 03:13 AM

Ever used Internet Explorer? Or Windows for that matter?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Weeeelll... I found that Access didn't work right in VPC. It refused to open anything from the window within the database...

tooki
Really, what version? I successfully use MS Access in VPC, its not the latest flavor of office mind you but it works well. While its not as quick as a PC, I have VPC pretty well optimized and its executing pretty quickly on my G5 (which I'm sure the G5 doesn't hurt either).

Originally posted by kcmac:
The only sad thing is that someone would require anyone to use Access. Probably one of the worst things MS has ever done.
I actually like access, as a programmer who uses DB2 and SQL server, I found that access is a nice tool for a quick little applicatins or databases. My company has used some fairly large databases on access, while I wouldn't recommend but I was surprised at how well it withstood the bulk of data.

The only thinig I wish MS would have done; is implement the same sql language. JET SQl and T-SQL are similar but not identical. The Sql editor in access could haev mimiced Sql server's query analyzer.

Mike

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 15, 2005, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Really, what version? I successfully use MS Access in VPC, its not the latest flavor of office mind you but it works well. While its not as quick as a PC, I have VPC pretty well optimized and its executing pretty quickly on my G5 (which I'm sure the G5 doesn't hurt either).
That was Office 2003 running on VPC 6 running Win XP Pro SP1. (Back when all those were the current versions.) I haven't tried it since upgrading to VPC 7.

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 15, 2005, 07:55 PM

Ouch, Tooki! That must have hurt! VPC isn't cheap, either, and not having Access work properly in any way makes it worse than inoperative-it's dangerous. I could overwrite the database file and cause absolute disaster!

I agree that a very cheap PC would be the best alternative, and run Access in its native environment. Too bad, too. Access actually works quite well once you figure out how to ask it correctly (and face in the correct direction, holding your tongue just so... ) I spent several months building an Access database application to track all sorts of data on personnel in my office, and let me tell you, writing Access applications is much easier than learning it on your own!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by D�mon:
Ever used Internet Explorer? Or Windows for that matter?
I use XP at work every day. Your point is?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
That was Office 2003 running on VPC 6 running Win XP Pro SP1. (Back when all those were the current versions.) I haven't tried it since upgrading to VPC 7.

tooki
Funny thing is my favorite text editor doesn't run in VPC, its ultraedit, (they just upgraded to ver 11 which now runs in vpc). So its not surprising that you had problems running some applications, but what is surprising is Ms' own apps weren't running.

I have XP with SP2 running Office 2000.

Mike

Daemon2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by kcmac:
I use XP at work every day. Your point is?
That Access isn't neccessarily the worst thing that Microsoft has ever made.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 15, 2005, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by ghporter:
Ouch, Tooki! That must have hurt! VPC isn't cheap, either, and not having Access work properly in any way makes it worse than inoperative-it's dangerous. I could overwrite the database file and cause absolute disaster!
Well, my school has VPC site-licensed so I don't have to pay for it (other than a nominal cost of media if I want a pressed CD of my own), and this was just for a class, so the projects weren't big, and I backed up religiously anyway. It ended up being faster for me just to do it in one of the PC labs at school.

tooki

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by D�mon:
That Access isn't neccessarily the worst thing that Microsoft has ever made.
So your opinion is different than mine. I was asking what your point was asking if I had ever used Windows.

I think Access is way worse than IE. Even worse than Outlook. Worse than Project. Worse than...

Forum Links
Forum Rules