Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Help: Freehand --> Word vX (best format?)

Help: Freehand --> Word vX (best format?)
NeoMac
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2002, 02:07 PM

Tools:
Pismo, FreeHand10, WordX, Brother HL-1440 printer

I need to export graphs that I made in Freehand 10 to Word X using a format that gives a sharp Flash-like sharpness to the image.

What is the best export format? Increasing to 600dpi helped the image print, but it could be sharper. Text seems to blur.

I've been exporting using JPEG 100%. But I then tried MacintoshEPS which improved things a lot, but is there an even better format?

My FreeHand document setting is 300dpi. Does increasing it to 600dpi improve the export quality?

I'd like the graph to come out clean and sharp, like when printing graphs from PDFs.

Thanx.
( Last edited by NeoMac; Nov 27, 2002 at 02:41 PM. )
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2002, 03:38 PM

Exporting in editable eps is the best. That way everything is vector base (Flash-like )

I'm not an expert w/ freehand, but I do believe that the document setting (300dpi) is related to what res it will be if you export to a raster based fromat (tiff, jpeg)

bluedog
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2002, 04:57 PM

Your Macintosh can support the EPS format in MS-Word, and is the only real option for the best quality from Freehand.

If you want to send these graphs to a PC user with word, the EPS files won't work for them in Word. If you export your graphs as a WMF format (if its not overly complex)

But for Mac only documents, the EPS will give you the best option (and don't let it rasterize by bringing the EPS into Photoshop). Vector options will give you the best visible output and print output.

One note: PDFs only smooth vector artwork and 'antialias' the lines of vector art if you are using Reader 5 or better (and version 4 didn't have this option hence EPS graphics looked jagged onscreen, but printed beautifully). To see the antialias feature of vector art, you must enable that feature in the preferences and I don't think its on by default.

Forum Links
Forum Rules