Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Safari and Plug-ins

Safari and Plug-ins
Tiffany Mac
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2003, 01:00 PM

Wouldn't it be great if Safari would automatically download ALL plug-ins?

I tried to play some Windows Media files and the proper plug in wasn't installed in Safari. Probably because Safari is a new addition to my computer and when i installed the media player (long ago) the plug in couldn't have gone into Safari. What easy remedies are there?

The plug-in process should be simplified for us. It should be easy. Do you agree?

manfreds
Feb 3, 2003, 01:06 PM

Mac OS X has a global Internet Plug-Ins folder. Safari will use all plug-ins from that folder(s) even if they have been installed prior to installing Safari.
The Windows Media Player plug-in only works in Internet Explorer though, since it doesn't follow the Netscape Plug-In API.
Turn your web browser into a great PDF viewer with PDF Browser Plugin

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2003, 03:46 PM

The WiMP "plug-in" isn't a plug-in as we know them at all. It's actually an ActiveX control, like most Windows plug-ins are nowadays. Yes, it's possible to write ActiveX controls which work on the Mac, but they'd only work in IE, and no one does them: in fact, the WiMP plug-in is the only Mac ActiveX control I've ever seen.

However, since only IE can do ActiveX controls, it makes an effective way to try and "lock people in" to their browser. There may well be nothing that Apple can do about this.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Tiffany Mac  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2003, 06:08 PM

Does Apple give us ALL the plug-ins we need for web browsing. Or am i suppose to download them?

where is such folder?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 3, 2003, 06:21 PM

You need to download them as you come across a need for them...
There are locations for "universal" plugins (i.e. all users) in /Library/Internet Plugins, or they can be used for individual logons if placed in ~/Library/Internet Plugins.

JLL
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2003, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by Tiffany Mac:
Does Apple give us ALL the plug-ins we need for web browsing. Or am i suppose to download them?

where is such folder?
QuickTime, Flash and ShockWave are supplied as standard - others you will have to download (if you need others).
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules