Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > idvd w/ other drives?

idvd w/ other drives?
liamlawyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2003, 01:47 PM

Hey all - is it possible to use Idvd with a different, FASTER drive than the superdrive?

tr
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by liamlawyer:
Hey all - is it possible to use Idvd with a different, FASTER drive than the superdrive?
what faster drive are you talking about? and what superdrive do you have?

the 'superdrive' is just apple's name for DVD-R drives. usually, they are just Pioneer DVR-A0x IDE drives (first one was A03, A04, and now A05.) 03 and 04 were 2x, and 05 is 4x. i say 'usually', because recently, people have been reporting other brand DVD-R drives in their macs (such as sony mechanisms). you can basically put in a retail drive to replace your drive, as long as it's still on the IDE chain.

but i ask what superdrive you had in mind, because there's no DVD-R drive out there faster than 4x, which is how fast the superdrives are for the new macs.

SunSeeker
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2003, 09:27 AM

.....you can basically put in a retail drive to replace your drive, as long as it's still on the IDE chain.
Does that mean its possible to buy a base model tower and add a dvd burner later and have idvd work with it??

tr
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by SunSeeker:
Does that mean its possible to buy a base model tower and add a dvd burner later and have idvd work with it??

yep. i put a pioneer DVR-A03 in my G4 450, works fine.

tr

liamlawyer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2003, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by tr:
what faster drive are you talking about? and what superdrive do you have?

the 'superdrive' is just apple's name for DVD-R drives. usually, they are just Pioneer DVR-A0x IDE drives (first one was A03, A04, and now A05.) 03 and 04 were 2x, and 05 is 4x. i say 'usually', because recently, people have been reporting other brand DVD-R drives in their macs (such as sony mechanisms). you can basically put in a retail drive to replace your drive, as long as it's still on the IDE chain.

but i ask what superdrive you had in mind, because there's no DVD-R drive out there faster than 4x, which is how fast the superdrives are for the new macs.
I have the first generation 1x drive and want to get into the 4x world. Thanks for the info! Any reccomendations on a good drive to buy? And there is no reason why I could not just add another drive to do disc-to-disc dupes, right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules