Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 17", Popping sound when opening and closing.

PB 17", Popping sound when opening and closing.
cobra7869
Apr 6, 2003, 04:33 AM

Hey all. I just picked up my PowerBook 17" and everything is beautiful except one thing. There is a popping sound that comes out of the speakers when I awake the computer from "sleep mode" and or once in a while when I open an application. If I turn off the sound it seems to go away. Any guesses what this might be? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I know this has occured with other Apple laptops, I'm just wondering if the illuminated keyboard is something that is affecting it all in this model.

Thanks,

Brian

erichen
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 12:32 PM

Hey Brian,

Guess you are not alone! I have the same problem with my PowerBook 17", Also when my battery is fully charged (100%) It only show 2 hours of battery time! One more problem, when the battery is completely used (0%) and the PowerBook goes to sleep mode, even after I plugged in the charger, the power wouldn't come back, nor I could down! Nothing happens when I hold down the power botton too!

~Eric
http://homepage.mac.com/erichen

OSXFreak
Apr 6, 2003, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by cobra7869:
Hey all. I just picked up my PowerBook 17" and everything is beautiful except one thing. There is a popping sound that comes out of the speakers when I awake the computer from "sleep mode" and or once in a while when I open an application. If I turn off the sound it seems to go away. Any guesses what this might be? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I know this has occured with other Apple laptops, I'm just wondering if the illuminated keyboard is something that is affecting it all in this model.

Thanks,

Brian

I've heard that this is due to the sound system going to/coming out of sleep mode - this is a power saving function. How loud is it?
I merely like XP; I'm having a passionate love affair with OS X

melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2003, 01:11 PM

Hey guys. Check out these two links:

Apple Knowledge Base #106766

KeepSoundAwake

OSXFreak
Apr 6, 2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by melman101:
Hey guys. Check out these two links:

Apple Knowledge Base #106766

KeepSoundAwake
Beware though - the first link does not relate to the Al17" and the second link refers to a patch to keep sound from going to sleep - which may result in poor battery life.
I merely like XP; I'm having a passionate love affair with OS X

cobra7869  (op)
Apr 6, 2003, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by erichen:
Hey Brian,

Guess you are not alone! I have the same problem with my PowerBook 17", Also when my battery is fully charged (100%) It only show 2 hours of battery time! One more problem, when the battery is completely used (0%) and the PowerBook goes to sleep mode, even after I plugged in the charger, the power wouldn't come back, nor I could down! Nothing happens when I hold down the power botton too!

~Eric
http://homepage.mac.com/erichen
Well, I spent a solid hour and a half in the Apple Store near where I live, the day after I bought my 17" PB. As I stated previously my PB was making a popping noise when the computer would come out of "Sleep" mode and also randomly while just using the basic computer.

AND, I found out that it is a known problem. There is a small app you can download on version tracker to make it less noticeable, but for me, when the popping occured, I thought something was wrong with my baby. SO, they actually allowed me to return it for a full refund. No restocking fee at all. I was pretty impressed. I didn't push too much. They didn't love it, but hey, if you are spending 3500 bucks and aren't completely satisfied, I think that is the right thing to do.

I'm not posting this so everyone will start returning, but if you are experiencing the problem, look for an app on Version Tracker. I believe some info is also in Apple's Knowledge base. I definitely plan on buying it again. Just once either Panther comes out, or once I hear the pooping issue has been resolved. The computer is absolutely beautiful though. Those of you who have it, ENJOY.

tritonus
Senior User
Apr 6, 2003, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by cobra7869:
SO, they actually allowed me to return it for a full refund. No restocking fee at all. I was pretty impressed. I didn't push too much. They didn't love it, but hey, if you are spending 3500 bucks and aren't completely satisfied, I think that is the right thing to do.
You return a 17" PB because of that!?!?! Come on.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

cobra7869  (op)
Apr 6, 2003, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by tritonus:
You return a 17" PB because of that!?!?! Come on.
Yes, I did. I am hoping this issue will be resolved. This was a pretty loud popping noise. I feel it will either be resolved or fixed with an update. Then I will purchase again.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 06:35 AM

Hmm... I don't think this noise is that big of a deal, just speakers coming out of its sleep mode... it's not like it's a dead speaker or broken one or anything... no need to return it just for this reason.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

cobra7869  (op)
Apr 7, 2003, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Hmm... I don't think this noise is that big of a deal, just speakers coming out of its sleep mode... it's not like it's a dead speaker or broken one or anything... no need to return it just for this reason.

Ming
Well Ming, I get the impression you think I'm a PC user who bought a Mac and just couldn't hack it so I returned it. Hardly the case. I have been a Mac user for 6 years now, and have probably converted dozens of people from PC's to Macs. I simply returned the unit, because the popping sound did not seem to be a reasonable system "flaw". At that amount of money I would like all of these issues worked out. It is a risk buying the first version of a product and that was the result of this PowerBook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules