Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > want to buy a 30" Cinema display, but don't want *any* dead pixels...

want to buy a 30" Cinema display, but don't want *any* dead pixels...
daiSho
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2005, 10:31 PM

i know, i know... luck of the draw usually when it comes to dead/stuck pixels on LCD displays, but the 30" Cinema is a pretty expensive purchase for me, and i *really* want to try to find one w/out dead pixels... was wondering if anyone could point me towards an option here?

i'd wondered whether i could go to an Apple store and see if they'd sell me a model that is on display, open-box i guess you'd call it, at full price? that way i could check the screen out in the store beforehand... anyone know if that is allowed? the only other option i can think of is to find one on the second-hand market, where the seller 'claims' it has no bad pixels... not always a sure thing either though, so i am at least hopeful that maybe Apple stores might bend a little for the sale...

anyone w/ insight on the subject, your input would be great. thx all..!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2005, 10:49 PM

I'm sure they'd be more than happy to sell you a used display for full price. Are you sure you want to spend full price for a display that has had unknown hours of use and everyone's grubby fingers all over it? For full price, I'd rather have a few dead pixels than the uncertainty of used, especially retail used.

daiSho  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2005, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
I'm sure they'd be more than happy to sell you a used display for full price. Are you sure you want to spend full price for a display that has had unknown hours of use and everyone's grubby fingers all over it?
mmm... i'm not sure what would be worse, to be honest. maybe taking a peek at the serial number on back might yield an idea of when it was built, i'd of course be checking it for cosmetic problems then and there though... it may sound silly, but dropping near $3k on a monitor only to find some unfortunately placed dead/stuck pixels would just piss me off to no end..

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2005, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by daiSho:
mmm... i'm not sure what would be worse, to be honest. maybe taking a peek at the serial number on back might yield an idea of when it was built, i'd of course be checking it for cosmetic problems then and there though... it may sound silly, but dropping near $3k on a monitor only to find some unfortunately placed dead/stuck pixels would just piss me off to no end..
Personally, I wouldn't be dropping near $3k on a product that has a reputation of being faulty (dead pixels).

daiSho  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Personally, I wouldn't be dropping near $3k on a product that has a reputation of being faulty (dead pixels).
ah, now that is something i hadn't heard as of yet, and am glad to hear in advance! i thought it was mostly the 23" models that had displayed a myriad of different issues, from multiple dead/stuck pixels, heavy 'pink push', and uneven backlighting...

so, the 30" Cinemas have a reutation for dead/stuck pixels as well then? hmm, that makes me even more worrisome..

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2005, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by daiSho:
so, the 30" Cinemas have a reutation for dead/stuck pixels as well then? hmm, that makes me even more worrisome..
They have no more a reputation of that than any other LCD monitor, which is to say there's a decent chance of dead pixels. If there weren't, Apple (and other manufacturers) would have a zero dead pixel policy. Personally, I don't think LCDs are worth the money until they resolve the issue with dead pixels.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2005, 12:10 AM

I think something like 1 in 5 large LCDs, even from the best manufacturers, has dead pixels. A 30" Apple LCD has 4 times the pixels that a 20" has, so I imagine the rate there is even higher. I can see why few makers offer pixel-perfect guarantees; they'd have to take a loss on a lot of units, and a lot of people don't care about a few bad pixels anyway.

That said, you might convince a retailer beforehand to accept a return if you find dead pixels. Many stores will replace a unit for any reason within a certain period. You should also be able to test a monitor in-store before buying it. I'd suggest asking if you can leave it turned on and plugged into a demonstration computer for a few hours to make sure (this is when dead pixels usually show up, within the first few hours of operation).

If you order straight from Apple, use a credit card that offers extra return guarantees.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2005, 01:27 AM

fry's has a no restocking fee return policy. if you really want to get a "perfect" display you could keep buying and returning until you get one that is perfect. or ask the salesperson to open it up before you buy. i got a fry salesperson to open up a couple of 20" displays before i bought one.

apple stores sometimes have refurb units for sale. you can inspect them before you buy. unfortunately, most of the refurb displays were returned bec of dead pixels. and i have not seen a lot of 30" refurbs anyways.

finally. independent apple retailers might be willing to open up a box before you buy. a salesperson at my local store agreed to open up two displays for inspection, but in return i agreed that i would buy one even if the second one had a defect. this seemed reasonable to me.

the 30" is a big purchase, salespeople will probably be willing to bend the rules to make a sale, but you will likely have to negotiate a bit.
( Last edited by robby818; Mar 9, 2005 at 06:50 AM. )

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2005, 10:02 AM

I agree with Robby here. When I bought my 30er from the Apple store, I asked to speak with the manager on duty. I explained to her that for this type of purchase, I am worried about having any dead pixels when I get the display home. After a small negotiation, we agreed that when I get home and set-up my display and see even a single dead pixel, I could call the store and arrange an exchange the next day. Of course I this in writing and when I got home, immediately set-up the display and ran a test and voila, no dead pixels. Just having the peace of mind of being able to exchange the display if there was helped me in purchasing the 30er.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

gkorsgard
Apr 6, 2005, 10:00 AM

I picked up my new 30 yesterday at the Apple store. NO dead pixels! The store manager said to bring it back if it did not exceed my expectations. The graphics card is the coolest part! That thing is huge.

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2005, 08:55 AM

I'd rather have a few dead pixels than the uncertainty of used, especially retail used.
Yeah, me too. I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend that much money and then by a demo in a retail store for full retail.

Forum Links
Forum Rules